The future of consoles

Probably more a massive spike for 2020 and then levelling off to saner levels for 2021. Here we go...

saupload_gaming2.jpg

PC grew far less than console in 2020, less of a Covid spike, so the return to more normal buying levels in 2021 was less impactful on the relative number.

There also was the Fujitsu/marty FM towns which was tagged as console and PC in one machine.

Don't forget Atari and the Atari ST (Atari 520 ST and then Atari 1040 ST) which had an interesting development path.

Jay Miner (one of the original developers of the custom chips in the Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800) attempted to convince Atari's management to create a new chip that would be used in a Computer/Console. Atari management refused and thus he left and formed Hi-Toro which later became Amiga. However, Amiga ran out of money to continue development and Atari stepped in with funds so that they could continue developing the chip. As part of the deal, Atari got exclusive rights to the design for 1 year and thus the Atari ST was born. The product of a desire to have consoles evolve into computers and thus have a chip that could serve in both a console and computer role.

It's also why Amiga had computers that were so adept and well suited to running games compared to its competitors in the computing space. That fusion of console and computing.

If not for the console crash that followed after Atari 2600's crash, what we know of as the Amiga could have been an Atari gaming console. Faced with such capable hardware as the Amiga had, would Nintendo have stood a chanced with the NES? :) This would also require Atari to have approved of Jay Miner's venture, of course.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Pretty sure there were various console plugin cards for IBM too.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-strange-world-of-console-computer-hybrids

I wouldn't exactly consider the NV1 a console plug-in. I had one and while it had a few console game ports, it was basically just an early 3D accelerator that wasn't based on triangle rasterization which the rest of the industry went with.

Although I guess since a few console games were ported to it, it could be considered a console plug-in?

Regards,
SB

I wouldn't exactly consider the NV1 a console plug-in. I had one and while it had a few console game ports, it was basically just an early 3D accelerator that wasn't based on triangle rasterization which the rest of the industry went with.

Although I guess since a few console games were ported to it, it could be considered a console plug-in?

Regards,
SB

Creative 3DO Blaster was a true console plug-in. Probably the only one I've heard of.

Tommy McClain

Don't forget Atari and the Atari ST (Atari 520 ST and then Atari 1040 ST) which had an interesting development path.

Jay Miner (one of the original developers of the custom chips in the Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800) attempted to convince Atari's management to create a new chip that would be used in a Computer/Console. Atari management refused and thus he left and formed Hi-Toro which later became Amiga. However, Amiga ran out of money to continue development and Atari stepped in with funds so that they could continue developing the chip. As part of the deal, Atari got exclusive rights to the design for 1 year and thus the Atari ST was born. The product of a desire to have consoles evolve into computers and thus have a chip that could serve in both a console and computer role.

It's also why Amiga had computers that were so adept and well suited to running games compared to its competitors in the computing space. That fusion of console and computing.

If not for the console crash that followed after Atari 2600's crash, what we know of as the Amiga could have been an Atari gaming console. Faced with such capable hardware as the Amiga had, would Nintendo have stood a chanced with the NES? :) This would also require Atari to have approved of Jay Miner's venture, of course.

Regards,
SB

I had an amiga cd32 at the time. Really liked it.

Regards,
SB
Was it the one partnered with Sega to promote quads and the games were basically Saturn game ports?

I was 14, it was a CD machine and was 32bit(ah the bits war), that alone was awesome !
i had a mega CD too, and dreamed about having a PC Engine Duo. Only got the coregraphx.
The Mega CD looks like a dream console compared to the abomination that the AmigaCD was. I would have cried :LOL:

Back