Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I'm really looking forward to the continuation of the story more than the visual upgrade.

But I REALLY need to know what the heck is going on with the story, as that was, to me, the strongest point in the first game. So good.

Same. The premise of robot dinosaurs remains dumb as ever, but I really got into the story of Horizon Zero Dawn and it didn't draw out revealing who Aloy was, why she was there and teasing out why there were robot dinosaurs around, and why there was corruption. For a premise I still maintain is one of the stupidest things I've heard of, I really loved the story and Lance Reddick's character.

I am really excited to see where the next chapter goes.

Same. The premise of robot dinosaurs remains dumb as ever, but I really got into the story of Horizon Zero Dawn and it didn't draw out revealing who Aloy was, why she was there and teasing out why there were robot dinosaurs around, and why there was corruption. For a premise I still maintain is one of the stupidest things I've heard of, I really loved the story and Lance Reddick's character.

I am really excited to see where the next chapter goes.
I laughed when I read the premise/description, but the game f-ing OWNED IT! There were valid reasons for "savages" to be fighting robot dinosaurs. I tip my hat to them just for that, but the story was just top notch.

Well, to me it felt like they had this idea and beautiful art for robo dinos in a beautiful place, and from that they went “Mmmm how do we build a story that kinda makes a tiny bit of sense to explain why our beautiful robo dinos are there?” But ultimately it came out very well, although totally silly.

The premise for the apocalypse was good, and discovering Projects Zero Dawn and explaining why there are robot dinosaurs at all was great. Then, the mystery of why most of have gone hostile was compelling. I've not played the original since launch though, so I may need to watch a story recap video before Forbidden West comes out because there is a lot of detail I've forgotten.

The premise for the apocalypse was good, and discovering Projects Zero Dawn and explaining why there are robot dinosaurs at all was great. Then, the mystery of why most of have gone hostile was compelling. I've not played the original since launch though, so I may need to watch a story recap video before Forbidden West comes out because there is a lot of detail I've forgotten.
My memory doesnt serve me well. I remember why they turned hostile, but cant remember why dinosaurs
Can you help me refresh my memory?

My memory doesnt serve me well. I remember why they turned hostile, but cant remember why dinosaurs
Can you help me refresh my memory?

If you don't know why there are robot dinosaurs and you missed the premise of the story then you should watch the Gaia Podcasts which there are 8 in total iirc and the complete history of the HZD which goes into depth regarding the HZD universe.

The dinosaurs were created in the fashion for a purpose and not just because the developers wanted to create robot dinosaurs.

TLDW - Gaia and the other sub-programs create the robots. Through the centuries the various robots were designed to be efficient in their various tasks. The Charger/Longhorn were created to gather and recycle resources i.e. grass/trees/flowers etc. The other robots like the Rockbreaker were used to terraform the land. Most the the robots were docile and wouldn't threaten humans but just before Aloy was born there was a signal that made the sub-programs become sentient. Gaia self-destructed but a program called Hephaestus then programed hostile machines in the various cauldrons to become hostile to humans. This became known as the Derangement.

Last edited:
I just loved the concept of the Faro Swarm and the quantum encryption used to secure the communication channels. Probably 'cos I'm an AI geek and that's what I do on a day to day basis (with a cybersecurity slant) and the fact that they decided to give the the ability to consume biomass for fuel. A not so subtle dig at where we are heading, have arrived, with autonomous tech and the corporate money leeches who pursue those goals at all cost. Even if the overall impact, to the end user, is negative.

Well, to me it felt like they had this idea and beautiful art for robo dinos in a beautiful place, and from that they went “Mmmm how do we build a story that kinda makes a tiny bit of sense to explain why our beautiful robo dinos are there?” But ultimately it came out very well, although totally silly.
Story idea generator. Roll 3 dice.
Robot
Dinosaur
Adventure

And go!

Maybe I'm just a cynical b!tch but I don't really believe that :runaway:

Yup, dinosaurs would be among the least efficient designs WRT doing the things they were tasked with. The most efficient designs likely wouldn't mimic any current or past living creatures.

That said, it does make for a striking game aesthetic. Not my thing, but it certainly helps the game stand out.

Regards,
SB

Amazon zero dawn

BogusKaleidoscopicAlpaca-size_restricted.gif

Strange. To my eyes, Aloy looks different on the PS4 version?

Yeah, she's definitely less detailed in the PS4 version. We already know that they had to reduce or remove things like "peach fuzz". Her model and lighting on the model might also be less detailed.

I can't wait for the Digital Foundry comparison between the PS5 and base PS4 versions of the game.

I like that they are approaching this in the correct way. On previous gen hardware, just disable the things (or greatly reduce the detail/precision or if you have time implement a different rendering method) that can only reasonably run on current gen hardware. Basically don't let the previous gen consoles be a limitation since there is almost no reason for the previous gen hardware to be a limitation outside of desire and time (which isn't necessarily insignificant and I can see where budget limited developers may not have the time).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back