Windows 11 [2021]

By the way, while mac os's top menu bar is fixed there, the dock can be placed on the sides.

Wow, I installed this on my laptop since I don't do serious work on there and OMG, I hate the UI so much. This is Apple levels of OMG this UI sucks so much. This is me wanting Steve Ballmer back as the CEO level of suck.

This is at least 1-2 orders of magnitude the worst Windows version I have ever used (and I've been using it since Windows 2.0). Wow. What a piece of dung from a UI standpoint.

I have a hard time imagining a world where I'd want to voluntarily install this on my desktop PC.

Regards,
SB

Wow, I installed this on my laptop since I don't do serious work on there and OMG, I hate the UI so much. This is Apple levels of OMG this UI sucks so much. This is me wanting Steve Ballmer back as the CEO level of suck.

This is at least 1-2 orders of magnitude the worst Windows version I have ever used (and I've been using it since Windows 2.0). Wow. What a piece of dung from a UI standpoint.

I have a hard time imagining a world where I'd want to voluntarily install this on my desktop PC.

Regards,
SB
I don't think it's THAT bad, lol. But it is a cardinal sin that they they removed the "Never combine taskbar buttons" option in Windows 11. They have to bring that back damnit!

I was playing around with the amazon app store , its missing some really big (non google) apps. I really wish MS would support some apps. I use ifit and its not on there

I was playing around with the amazon app store , its missing some really big (non google) apps. I really wish MS would support some apps. I use ifit and its not on there

It's a bit of a pain to install, but using the link that @orangpelupa provide (also in my quote of his message) I've got the Google Play Store installed on my laptop (no way in hell I'm putting Windows 11 on my desktop). It's pretty impressive how well the apps integrate into Windows and they certainly run faster and better (at least so far) than using BlueStacks or Nox.

On the Windows 11 side though, my god the Windows 11 UI is so bad, it's basically like an Anti-Productivity UI. "Let's make things as difficult as possible to use in order to get anything done" is what the UI designers for Windows 11 must have been thinking. AAAAUUUGGGGHHHHH.

Regards,
SB

WIndows 11 doesn't seem a lot different to me, however my usage of the Windows UI is incredibly limited. My go-to method for getting to places in Windows is to hit the Windows key and start typing...

Winkey, then "Minecra" and press enter
Winkey, then "Mai" and press enter
Winkey+R, then "\\homeserver\share" and press enter
Or click on one of the pinned applications at the bottom of the screen -- Steam, Edge, etc.

The UI is almost non-existent to me at this point.

I realize this isn't a ringing endorsement for the Windows GUI, and honestly I'm probably aligned on the UI being less than intuitive or useful. Doesn't matter, just gonna type what I want and let the indexing system solve it for me.

The only thing that really irks me so far is the inability to set the taskbar to always show all the lower right icons. Like wut? Why would that option be removed? lol

And you can set them to show individually, but whenever there is a software update it resets that program to hidden. Ugh.

turns out WIndows 11 insider is VERY DEPENDENT on internet connection. On a network without internet connection (because my ISP is currently down)

• - start no longer able to search for anything (showing blank)
  • - "Settings" app need longer time to do searches (maybe waiting for a network timeout?)
  • - network profile automatically changed from "private" to "public". thus making things broken if you only whitelisted it on private network.
  • - the whole OS became slow as heck (even alt tab is slow).

I had the same problem with W10 for a while, until I changed something in the registry (don't remember what :/ )

I had the same problem with W10 for a while, until I changed something in the registry (don't remember what :/ )

IIRC there's a registry key on w10 to disable search Bing integration that fixes all slowness and internet issues with start

View attachment 6232
This is pretty great. Because Windows 11 isn't. ;)
https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

I was looking at whether Classic Shell from the horrific days of Windows 8 still works, but this thing is designed for Win11.

Have you tried this? If you have, does the Windows 10 taskbar option for this allow you to expand the taskbar so that it has multiple rows of icons?

When I have time, I'll have to give it a try on my laptop (the only computer that I have with Windows 11 installed). The loss of functionality with the taskbar is the main reason I won't upgrade to Windows 11. Moving to Windows 11 currently would just impact my workflow too negatively for it to be worthwhile.

Regards,
SB

Have you tried this? If you have, does the Windows 10 taskbar option for this allow you to expand the taskbar so that it has multiple rows of icons?

When I have time, I'll have to give it a try on my laptop (the only computer that I have with Windows 11 installed). The loss of functionality with the taskbar is the main reason I won't upgrade to Windows 11. Moving to Windows 11 currently would just impact my workflow too negatively for it to be worthwhile.

Regards,
SB
I think the taskbar behaves just like Windows 10 with this yes.

Windows 11 is now apparently available for me. Should I do it?

Are you generally OK with Windows 10-dot-current? Windows 11 is basically Win10 with some security enhancements and some occasionally strange UI choices. It does boot faster than Win10 on every piece of hardware I own, for whatever that's worth. They also finally squashed the AMD CPU scheduling bug which hampered performance for a while; make sure to download the newest chipset drivers if you're on a Ryzen platform.

For whatever you think it's worth, the only Non-11 version of Windows in my house is my office-provided laptop. So far I haven't had any issues with the OS, minus occasionally having to struggle to find a control panel item they've decided to bury.

Aside from the UI changes and the AutoHDR for games, it's hard to notice a difference between it and Win10. The AutoHDR is pretty neat if you have a TV that does great HDR. The UI will probably not impress you. Hopefully you don't descend into madness. ;)

Last edited:
Back