What should Sony's Acquisition Plans Be? *spawn*

I'll just say I think EA would be the worse purchase for any of these companies. I feel most of the value is tied up in other licenses they don't own. NFL , NCAA , Nasscar , NHL , Fifa and then Star Wars. We've already seen MLB making sony put their games on multiple systems. So I am not sure how valuable a purchase of EA really is at this point in time

And their Star Wars license is up after their next 3 games, which are JFO sequel, a strategy game, and a FPS game.

And their Star Wars license is up after their next 3 games, which are JFO sequel, a strategy game, and a FPS game.

Yes , the only companies I could see buying it are companies that don't really care if other platforms get it. Maybe like an Apple where okay the game comes out on ios and then a few months later hits the other platforms. There is also rumors of their own console like device and them poaching from xbox and sony. So I could it as well we will put it out sooner on our platforms and then the other platforms can have it. They have a big enough market share and enough people who will just buy an apple console that it wouldn't really matter to them.

For sony I don't see it being worth while. Maybe after the star wars liscense if they are forced to start reviving older ips then it could be worth while but i think that would be years down the line.

I've said before I would love for Ultima to be brought back. I'd buy a playstation if they bought EA and started making ultimas again. Dungeon keeper , theme park , populus . There are so many classic ips that have fallen by the way side

Yes , the only companies I could see buying it are companies that don't really care if other platforms get it. Maybe like an Apple where okay the game comes out on ios and then a few months later hits the other platforms. There is also rumors of their own console like device and them poaching from xbox and sony. So I could it as well we will put it out sooner on our platforms and then the other platforms can have it. They have a big enough market share and enough people who will just buy an apple console that it wouldn't really matter to them.

For sony I don't see it being worth while. Maybe after the star wars liscense if they are forced to start reviving older ips then it could be worth while but i think that would be years down the line.

I've said before I would love for Ultima to be brought back. I'd buy a playstation if they bought EA and started making ultimas again. Dungeon keeper , theme park , populus . There are so many classic ips that have fallen by the way side
Old IPs like??

Old IPs like??
Like I said , Ultima , Dungeon Keeper , theme park , command and conquer , populus and so on and so forth. They have a ton of stuff from past purchases that is just sitting there. The problem I see is their studios are working on other stuff and by the time they move on to revitalizing old ip we could be looking at a decade or so before those release

Like I said , Ultima , Dungeon Keeper , theme park , command and conquer , populus and so on and so forth. They have a ton of stuff from past purchases that is just sitting there. The problem I see is their studios are working on other stuff and by the time they move on to revitalizing old ip we could be looking at a decade or so before those release
These are owned by Sony? These are also very niche titles.

These are owned by Sony? These are also very niche titles.
my comments are about if sony were to purchase EA. EA's value is tied up into other companies IPs. So sports licenses and star wars. purchasing ea doesn't mean you get those liscenses or get to keep them exclusive as you can see from MLB with sony. So what else would EA offer ? It would come from older ip content so they would have to reboot a lot of older stuff . However all the teams I know of are working on 3rd party ip. So it would take a long time to spin up old ip development. Maybe half a decade to a decade before all the teams can transition.

To be frank , there really aren't any Sony owned IP I would want to see them bring back. I never really got into their first party content

As for the titles I mentioned they are niche now but they were huge back in the day. Ultima was pc rpgs and was responsible for final fantasy and dragon quest existing

Everybody has a Star Wars licence at this point. I think I got one in a Christmas cracker. In addition to all the rumoured Star Wars games, we have the ultimate Lego Star Wars game collection, Aspyr (a Mac porting house) are remaking KOTOR, and Respawn is making another Star Wars game.

As for the titles I mentioned they are niche now but they were huge back in the day. Ultima was pc rpgs and was responsible for final fantasy and dragon quest existing
They are dead franchises that will barely have an effect. They appealed to a very specific niche PC experience of the old. JRPGs were designed around the console experience from the get go with a different gameplay focus and story telling. Its not a coincidence that these games or similar have disappeared or have a much smaller market. To this point the industry is so big with people that never touched these games that it will be a waste. Old IPs are strong if they continued their legacy and were adjusting to the times. Like Doom or Quake or Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy or Need for Speed.
Now if Sony acquired the rights to sports games that EA owns, well thats a BIG thing

They are dead franchises that will barely have an effect. They appealed to a very specific niche PC experience of the old. JRPGs were designed around the console experience from the get go with a different gameplay focus and story telling. Its not a coincidence that these games or similar have disappeared or have a much smaller market. To this point the industry is so big with people that never touched these games that it will be a waste. Old IPs are strong if they continued their legacy and were adjusting to the times. Like Doom or Quake or Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy or Need for Speed.
Now if Sony acquired the rights to sports games that EA owns, well thats a BIG thing

Old IPs can still be a great spring board to relevancy vs starting a new ip from start. There are a lot of people here on these boards that would love a new command and conquer . Theme park was a huge IP and you can see a lot of games that are theme park like. Elder Scrolls is a huge franchise that shows rebooting Ultima could be an easy way into the market with a new rpg series. Also remember all of these titles have older games that you can remaster leading up to the reboot to bring back fans. I believe EA had success with the red alert remasters

Old IPs can still be a great spring board to relevancy vs starting a new ip from start. There are a lot of people here on these boards that would love a new command and conquer . Theme park was a huge IP and you can see a lot of games that are theme park like. Elder Scrolls is a huge franchise that shows rebooting Ultima could be an easy way into the market with a new rpg series.
You are using IPs and genres interchangeably which is not representative of the market value of IP.

You may as well say, the Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman are popular so any superhero is popular by association. Nope. The value in established IP is that people immediately recognise it and attach a value to it. Older IPs will be more recognisable to older players, or players with an interest in older games.

I find it very unlikely that Ultima has anywhere near the draw of Skyrim just because it's a similar fantasy genre. Even 'Elder Scrolls' is a bit of stretch because because I doubt many people focus on 'Elder Scrolls' rather than Oblivion and Skyrim because it's not a major feature of the games. This is not an issue with Fallout.

Yeah, as mentioned previously, their license is through EA and they are making the 3 SW games before the license expires [which are JFO sequel, a strategy game, and a FPS game].
I missed that, I couldn't remember who Respawn was associated with these days.

It makes you wonder, once Infinity Ward under Activision are de-fucked under Microsoft, whether the original founder of Infinity Ward would consider a return...

Last edited by a moderator:
FJ8zYU6XwAE_Upy
I'd like to see the logos scaled by size of the IP in terms of users/units sold. Some of those studios are far less significant than others. I mean, you could include a gazillion tiny indies who may represent 99.9% of a pie chart of studios but only a few percent of the market earnings. It'd be nice to see what the market reach is of these studios, with Naughty Dog being far larger than Housemarque, say, while Rockstar North's icon should dwarf most others!

I missed that, I couldn't remember who Respawn was associated with these days.

It makes you wonder, once Infinity Ward under Activision are deuced under Microsoft, whether the original founder of Infinity Ward would consider a return...

I thought maybe the same thing, but I do kind of doubt that would happen. I think Vince and Company are looking forward to having near absolute direction and control over BattleField. [ https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/2/...ampella-apex-legends-respawn-boss-ceo-shakeup ]

My dream is they change up BattleField to be futuristic setting where every fighter has their own huge battle-mech they can pilot. We could even call them Titans. :LOL:

As much as I'd like to say Sony should create a Fighter/Mech series, I don't know if anyone else could make a new IP with that premise and not be directly compared to TitanFall or be called "Anthem 2.0".

I thought maybe the same thing, but I do kind of doubt that would happen. I think Vince and Company are looking forward to having near absolute direction and control over BattleField. [ https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/2/...ampella-apex-legends-respawn-boss-ceo-shakeup ]

My dream is they change up BattleField to be futuristic setting where every fighter has their own huge battle-mech they can pilot. We could even call them Titans. :LOL:

As much as I'd like to say Sony should create a Fighter/Mech series, I don't know if anyone else could make a new IP with that premise and not be directly compared to TitanFall or be called "Anthem 2.0".
agreed.
Titanfall X Battlefield would suffice to be honest lol

I many times wished Polyphony would give Gran Turismo a break and design a very realistic BALSY reboot of Omega Boost

Back