Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

to be honest Phil statement can be interpret in many ways, also that warzone stay and they will fullfill existing agreements and after that no new cod ;)
I'm not really reading to much into statement, could easily just keep warzone only as you say.
Although unlikely as COD is just too big a title to shelve.
I'm just thinking how they could make best use of COD and studios, and even if was still multi plat, Sony could still end up missing out. Just side affect.
Will open market for someone else if they did that though.

With so many studios and IP really have some options for release cadence and variety.

Just read a Sun article that said that in 2015 PlayStation became the home of Call of Duty it also became the official home the COD esports. Well, I don't see that being the case in the future. Once whatever contract they have expires expect no more exclusive content and betas for the PlayStation. Though I do think the recent statement means that there is a good chance Microsoft will continue to publish COD on the PlayStation just don't expect any special treatment or to be playing it on Sony's equivalent to Gamepass.

Maybe MS will make PS Cod randomly invert Y, like when you're friend has a go then you take over mid go. :(

I'm not really reading to much into statement, could easily just keep warzone only as you say.
Although unlikely as COD is just too big a title to shelve.
I'm just thinking how they could make best use of COD and studios, and even if was still multi plat, Sony could still end up missing out. Just side affect.
Will open market for someone else if they did that though.

With so many studios and IP really have some options for release cadence and variety.

MS will continue to support existing cod on playstation that most likely includes 2022s version any maybe 2023 depending on when the deal comes through and what contracts exist. After that new stuff will just go to the xbox .

Anyway can you imagine bringing Guitar hero back . I think now is the right time for it

Be Intresting if they keep it an annual title.
They wouldn't need to, could easily do every 2 years and have a big FPS still every year for xbox for the holiday.

Then it wouldn't need so many support studios and MS gets diversity from them, side affect is PS misses out.
But I'm sure someone else will pick up that slack.
I don’t think cod will stay annual. That’s the only thing I think may change once they take over.

3x studios on CoD doesn’t make sense for them given the rest of the Xbox lineup with how many shooters there are. I can imagine a future where halo, doom, cod, ow and other shooters are on some sort of cycle.

I wonder where Phil learnt how to speak like that. Carefully crafted message.

Anyway, we have another "Bethesda" madness for the next year where people would argue regarding games coming not coming to Playstation. It is funny how he only mentioned Call of Duty :mrgreen:

Spoke to some Japanese people whose names I did not know
Jimbo is not a japanese person and SIE now has headquarters in California.
Still I believe it is all related to drop in the market share.

Just read a Sun article that said that in 2015 PlayStation became the home of Call of Duty it also became the official home the COD esports. Well, I don't see that being the case in the future. Once whatever contract they have expires expect no more exclusive content and betas for the PlayStation. Though I do think the recent statement means that there is a good chance Microsoft will continue to publish COD on the PlayStation just don't expect any special treatment or to be playing it on Sony's equivalent to Gamepass.
Before AB wanted to be sold to MS, what kind of contract has been made with Sony after Zenimax has been bought by MS?

I think 2025-2027 COD is still on PS. Or even COD on Sony's subscription.

I don’t think cod will stay annual. That’s the only thing I think may change once they take over.

3x studios on CoD doesn’t make sense for them given the rest of the Xbox lineup with how many shooters there are. I can imagine a future where halo, doom, cod, ow and other shooters are on some sort of cycle.

COD is still much more profitable than any FPS in the market.

In fact 2021 team may already starts production for 2024 release. If 2022 team is given green light then 2025 COD will still exist.

If MS decides no 2023 COD team, then it only affects 2026 COD release.

While I'm not buying it entirely whatever deal that they had with Sony supposedly will expire in 2023 likely after the 2023 COD release so after that is anyone's ball game.

I'm old so I remember loving the original Pitfall on the Atari 2600. It's not a franchise that has any legs, the guy's name is "Pitfall Harry", that is as much as they fleshed out the univsere because the game was made in about 11 weeks.

Don't forget the better Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure on Sega Genesis. It was also released later on Windows 95.

Tommy McClain

Can any one picture COD running on ID Tech 7...or 8?
To expand this further, Zenimax/Bethesda developers creating or working on Blizzard IP, Activision developers working on Zenimax/Bethesda IP. XGS developers working on Bethesda, Blizzard, or Activision IP and vice versa. A great deal of possibilities here.

Last edited:
Can any one picture COD running on ID Tech 7...or 8?
To expand this further, Zenimax/Bethesda developers creating or working on Blizzard IP, Activision developers working on Zenimax/Bethesda IP. XGS developers working on Bethesda, Blizzard, or Activision IP and vice versa. A great deal of possibilities here.

and bring their own culture and uniqueness. instead of becoming "same game, different title" like ubisoft open world clutter formula.

I'm old so I remember loving the original Pitfall on the Atari 2600. It's not a franchise that has any legs, the guy's name is "Pitfall Harry", that is as much as they fleshed out the univsere because the game was made in about 11 weeks.
There are 5 and a half Pitfall! games, with the last one being released on Wii. So it isn't like it has no legs.

Be Intresting if they keep it an annual title. They wouldn't need to, could easily do every 2 years and have a big FPS still every year for xbox for the holiday.
It definitely feels like a franchise where they can slow down the releases and expand each outing more with DLC and other content. This was Activision's approach because they want people buying new improved Call of Duty for $60 every November, this has driven their $2bn/annual revenue for years.

I think this would be a natural consequence because it's difficult to imagine Microsoft containing with three (?) massive studios endlessly working concurrently on different versions of the same first person shooter then they are stacked with with first person shooter game already.

Phil's comments are easy to decipher because Microsoft's intentions are well known. Gamepass is the platform and everything will be done to maximize that as platform.

Existing communities = Everything through when the deal for the marketing expires. Desire = If Sony allows Gamepass on PS console, then future CODs. If Sony says no, then no COD. Its as simple as that.This is a 25-30 year gambit, not 2-3 years. Between now and the time this deal close, they will have made that 70 billion back. They are not sweating over this purchase.

Back