Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Microsoft's Activision Deal Wipes $20 Billion off Sony Market Value in Day - Bloomberg

“Sony will struggle to match Microsoft in terms of money it can spend to buy popular game IP,” Morningstar Research analyst Kazunori Ito said. “Falling shares illustrate investors are worried that Sony may not be able to keep winning if indeed the industry shifts away from the hardware-based model.”
MS now needs some japanese publisher and they are set that would consistently produce exclusive games.

Microsoft's Activision Deal Wipes $20 Billion off Sony Market Value in Day - Bloomberg

“Sony will struggle to match Microsoft in terms of money it can spend to buy popular game IP,” Morningstar Research analyst Kazunori Ito said. “Falling shares illustrate investors are worried that Sony may not be able to keep winning if indeed the industry shifts away from the hardware-based model.”
It also wiped $46 billion off Microsofts market value :LOL:

j/k (even though its true) of course MS is much more valuable than sony so the $46 billion hit to the company is far less relatively speaking.

Hopefully this shakes up the industry somewhat, it was getting a bit staid (but I have my doubts, it'll prolly drive even more conservative decisions)

Hopefully this shakes up the industry somewhat, it was getting a bit staid (but I have my doubts, it'll prolly drive even more conservative decisions)

Hopefully Gamepass as a service, rather than every COD having to be a GaaS helps shake things up.

Looking at Microsoft’s history there is no reason to be optimistic of their handling of all these developers.

Last edited:
Pre-2018 that'd be fair. If you listen to what Spenser, Bootie and acquired folks have been saying for the last few years, there's plenty of room for optimism. They know what mistakes they've made in the past. Still early days though.
What have they actually done? They have been saying what people want to hear for over a decade. They have delivered nothing. All they have released are games they can stuff full of MTX. They have cancelled/shut down every game/developer doing anything else.

“Falling shares illustrate investors are worried that Sony may not be able to keep winning if indeed the industry shifts away from the hardware-based model.”

Sony is already expanding to the pc, sometime in the future they might be just a software house putting things on pc/other still existing platforms. They sure have got a good taste of the pc market already.

MS could aquire some more studios going forward, Konami has been rumored before, but i can imagine Ubisoft, Sega etc happening aswell.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...hould-buy-the-metal-gear-solid-franchise/amp/

Again what have they released since Xbox One launch that doesn’t have the potential for large MTX profits? Hopefully they put an end to all the abuse that goes on but that’s completely separate from my argument.
Flight Simulator, AOE4. Both of these un popular genres.

Supporting a lot A lot of interesting variety titles on gamepass for Day One.

I largely look forward to the AA and indie output on gamepass then I do the big titles.

I largely look forward to the AA and indie output on gamepass then I do the big titles.

Yeah, I dont think most of msft games are plagued with weak content and full of mtxn, i dont feel like there is much pressure on studios to do exctaly what msft make them to do either. Just look at Ninja Theory they didnt realse a game since acquisition and they are working on 2 diffrent projects with no pressure or whatsoever. Project Mara being a very weird title and may not be appealing to broad audience.I may be wrong but i think most people at Blizz/Act wil see it as positive change ( and it seems like it so according to J.Shreier) and maybe we will even see some old/new/fresh games just to expand and vary gamepass portfolio. Just like netflix lots of different content for different users.

Sony is already expanding to the pc, sometime in the future they might be just a software house putting things on pc/other still existing platforms. They sure have got a good taste of the pc market already.

TBH i dont want MSFT to "win" with sony, competition is good and this generation IMO is the best we had so far. Gamepas and all the deals we are getting are super nice to us - cutomers, as long the fight with each other only we are benefiting from this.

Psychonauts 2. There's interviews and posts by Tim Schafer where he goes over the positive impacts on the game from the Microsoft acquisition. Without it, they wouldn't have been able to add in the boss encounters or have it as polished. It was able to get an extra year of development. That effort clearly shows as it went on to become GoTY nominated and win several awards.

I hear Sony may have a cloud-system capable of streaming games as soon as 2014! ;-)

3rd party games on Game Pass have nothing to do with Microsoft owned studios. Microsoft just published AOE4. It is not a first party game. If I’m mistaken and they have purchased Relic feel free to correct me. Don't Flight Sim games have a lot of MTX? 2 games in 9 years isn’t much reason for optimism regardless.

TBH i dont want MSFT to "win" with sony, competition is good and this generation IMO is the best we had so far. Gamepas and all the deals we are getting are super nice to us - cutomers, as long the fight with each other only we are benefiting from this.

Not 'win', but perhaps create a landscape where platform agnostic games are a thing of the past. Though Sony is already moving away from that themselfs, they probably saw it coming that having your games on just one machine isnt going to be all that good to reach a larger user market.

I didn't see if this point was made the AB thread, but everyone else looks like trivial purchases now:
You can cross most of the Japanese firms off the list. This was discussed earlier in the thread, Japan has the Japanese Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act which heavily restricts foreign investment in Japanese companies meeting certain requirements and both SEGA and Capcom are listed as protected. This doesn't mean they cannot be bought, but there is an expectation to deny heavy investment or outright acquisition from overseas companies.

Unless you're talking about acquisition by fellow Japanese companies, Nintendo or Sony. But this doesn't seem to be their thing, both seem happy to just partner as required.

Only last-gen games, not been updated for PS5 games. :neutral:
That is supposedly coming with the PS+ revamp.

I don't know what the reason is but a good bet is that Sony are pushing all PS5 APUs into consoles for retail because the demand to play consoles games on actual consoles is clearly higher than people who want to stream console games.

Back