Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

Anyway, if your on say a 1060/1070 (pascal) level of performance now, its an idea to go for a gaming laptop to sit this one out (mining, shortage etc). For around 1500USD your getting 3070m, 8 core zen3, 16 to 32gb ram and PCIE4 nvme ssd setups. With quite good screen, kb/touchpad, build-in UPS, speakers and their portable.

I'm going to bring up another issue to consider with prices with respect to what happens in the future. Online enthusiast discussion is primarily done by people who are DIY PC builders who buy graphics cards as stand alone products from retail and are likely to view everything through that lens. This customer base however doesn't actually represent all PC gamers and GPU purchases for that purpose even though the online discussion would make it seem like it accounts for the the vast majority of purchases.

The price markup and availability situation for PC gamers who purchase prebuilt desktops, laptops, complete system integrator builds (retail shops give stock priority to people purchasing entire builds through their store), and to some extent "bundles" is nowhere near the situation as those looking to buy stand alone GPUs off retail were experiencing throughout 2021.

This means looking at the markup (or scalped price) and availability situation purely from the stand point of someone looking to buy a GPU in isolation is not fully reflecting what the broader market of PC gaming market is actually experiencing. The DIY crowd might have been balking at the price for what you get (along with "quality" issues relative to what they are used to, configurations they find poor, etc.) in looking at those options as alternatives but it's what was the norm (well to some extent) for those customers.

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems that consoles are not any better off with all this going on, if not worse so. Here in sweden its incredibly hard to get a PS5 at mrsp, your certainly looking at double the price if not more if you want one before were close to half the generation time-line. That and the price increase for games, its not all that 'cheap' anymore there either. PSVR2 also seems to aim for more money then we used to.

Anyway, if your on say a 1060/1070 (pascal) level of performance now, its an idea to go for a gaming laptop to sit this one out (mining, shortage etc). For around 1500USD your getting 3070m, 8 core zen3, 16 to 32gb ram and PCIE4 nvme ssd setups. With quite good screen, kb/touchpad, build-in UPS, speakers and their portable.
The situation with consoles is still a lot better. Just because PS5 has fallen behind a *bit* compared to where PS4 was at is not some drastic talking point. PS4 sold huge numbers, and PS5 is still selling huge numbers as well.

But the big difference is that the end customer is entirely gamers. The target customers are getting the product. That's already a better situation in and of itself, but moreso - the demand is not unlimited. More supply can and will help things. There is an amount of demand that can be satisfied. It's high, but it's not a hopeless situation like with GPU's.

And while getting a PS5 at MSRP isn't easy, it's also not borderline impossible(like with GPU's) if you're patient and put in a little effort. And then of course the Series X is definitely not impossible to get, and Series S are generally pretty widely available.

The idea of getting a 3060Ti at MSRP on the other hand - might as well try rubbing some lamps in the hopes for a genie instead.

The situation with consoles is still a lot better. Just because PS5 has fallen behind a *bit* compared to where PS4 was at is not some drastic talking point. PS4 sold huge numbers, and PS5 is still selling huge numbers as well.

But the big difference is that the end customer is entirely gamers. The target customers are getting the product. That's already a better situation in and of itself, but moreso - the demand is not unlimited. More supply can and will help things. There is an amount of demand that can be satisfied. It's high, but it's not a hopeless situation like with GPU's.

And while getting a PS5 at MSRP isn't easy, it's also not borderline impossible(like with GPU's) if you're patient and put in a little effort. And then of course the Series X is definitely not impossible to get, and Series S are generally pretty widely available.

The idea of getting a 3060Ti at MSRP on the other hand - might as well try rubbing some lamps in the hopes for a genie instead.

Yup, I never ever thought I would ever say this, but ...

If either of the consoles supported keyboard and mouse controls in all games as well as more graphics options (mainly the ability to turn off motion blur and DOF) and mandatory 60 FPS modes (no way in hell I'm gaming at 30 FPS if I can help it), then I would ditch PC's in a heartbeat right now just because of the exhorbitant market price of GPUs currently.

But since that's unlikely to happen, I'm stuck with PC gaming. Something else I never thought I would ever say. Which also means I'm stuck gaming with a 1070 for a worse graphical experience than what consoles offer.

Regards,
SB

Yup, I never ever thought I would ever say this, but ...

If either of the consoles supported keyboard and mouse controls in all games as well as more graphics options (mainly the ability to turn off motion blur and DOF) and mandatory 60 FPS modes (no way in hell I'm gaming at 30 FPS if I can help it), then I would ditch PC's in a heartbeat right now just because of the exhorbitant market price of GPUs currently.

But since that's unlikely to happen, I'm stuck with PC gaming. Something else I never thought I would ever say. Which also means I'm stuck gaming with a 1070 for a worse graphical experience than what consoles offer.

Regards,
SB

NV are claiming the GPU shortages should "ease down" in the second half of this year ahead of the 40x0 launch. So your 1070 (and mine) only need to hold the line for another 6 months or so and then hopefully there'll be reasonable priced next gen GPU's available. We should expect even a basic 4060 to offer at least 3070 levels of performance (hopefully a fair bit more) which should be more than sufficient for a >console experience. The MSRP of the 3060 is only $329 so there's definitely hope yet.

NV are claiming the GPU shortages should "ease down" in the second half of this year ahead of the 40x0 launch. So your 1070 (and mine) only need to hold the line for another 6 months or so and then hopefully there'll be reasonable priced next gen GPU's available. We should expect even a basic 4060 to offer at least 3070 levels of performance (hopefully a fair bit more) which should be more than sufficient for a >console experience. The MSRP of the 3060 is only $329 so there's definitely hope yet.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm currently not seeing anything that would lead me to believe that the cards will be less useful for mining crypto than current cards. NV have been incapable of preventing any of their cards from being used for crypto and it may not even be possible to do so.

Although I have found how some people are affording the expensive cards. Talking to some people at the local coffee shop, I found out that they decided to stop paying their rent so they could buy new TVs, computers and graphics cards since their landlords couldn't evict them during the pandemic. And when they finally get evicted, their currently landlords aren't allowed to disclose any of that. So basically they got free graphics cards that they are now using for crypto mining. Well not free, their landlords basically paid for them. Ugh. Even worse, they convincied their neighbors in the apartment complex to do the same thing.

Regards,
SB

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm currently not seeing anything that would lead me to believe that the cards will be less useful for mining crypto than current cards. NV have been incapable of preventing any of their cards from being used for crypto and it may not even be possible to do so.

Although I have found how some people are affording the expensive cards. Talking to some people at the local coffee shop, I found out that they decided to stop paying their rent so they could buy new TVs, computers and graphics cards since their landlords couldn't evict them during the pandemic. And when they finally get evicted, their currently landlords aren't allowed to disclose any of that. So basically they got free graphics cards that they are now using for crypto mining. Well not free, their landlords basically paid for them. Ugh. Even worse, they convincied their neighbors in the apartment complex to do the same thing.

Regards,
SB

ETH is supposed to move off GPU's soon though and there's no Crypto that's as profitable (currently) waiting in the wings to take its place. So the hope is that the combo of miner demand falling off a cliff and simultaneously all those mining GPUs flooding the market will act as a big reset for the market just in time for the 40x0 generation.

ETH is supposed to move off GPU's soon though and there's no Crypto that's as profitable (currently) waiting in the wings to take its place. So the hope is that the combo of miner demand falling off a cliff and simultaneously all those mining GPUs flooding the market will act as a big reset for the market just in time for the 40x0 generation.

That's another thing I'll believe when I see it. :p They've been making noise about that for about a year now and deployment was pushed back yet again (I believe they now claim June 2022). Who knows if it'll get pushed back yet again as we get closer to that date. And who knows whether another coin will take off once it does.

Yes, I'm skeptical. :p

Regards,
SB

Nvidia and IHVs ideally would want to milk that juicy crypto market for as long as possible. Increasing supply is great but really it will just mean more massive profits with no benefit to gamers.

So definitely slower than the 2060 then (going off TPU's summary) although seemingly trading blows in games with RT. Not particularly exciting at current prices unfortunately.

I dunno, but in the current circumstances I'd say the 3050 for $250 for 1080 gaming is definitely a viable option. At least they didn't embarrass themselves like AMD did with the 6500, the 3050 is a decent gaming card at least even if they've made better values before.

I'd consider getting one if I could at MSRP and was in need of a GPU, but I wouldn't spend $250 to upgrade my 8GB RX580 for it either.

Much better product than the 6500, it at least isn't the butt of jokes. :)

Back