Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Depends on pricing strategy. If it's sold ~cost to drive adoption with profits from PS software sales, there'd be no money to make on PC. They could sell it to PC for $100+ markup over PS price, but chances are whatever they do to make it 'PS only' will have workarounds and PC VR enthusiasts will just get the cheaper PS version and hack it to work on PC. Without a Sony storefront on PC and VR content locked to the headset, there's no way to monetise the hardware beyond hardware margins.

If it's pure USB-C though, chances are it'll be hacked to work on PC anyway. We've had drivers for all Sony's hardware - cameras, controllers - as they are made out of standard components.

so leaks were 100% corrent, on psvr1 games were rendered at 60fps and interpolated to 120fps for 120hz display, wonder if its possible to do 45fps games and interpolate to 90fps as 90hz is possibility now with still feeling smooth enough for vr
Some PSVR games were running at native 120hz. 45fps would be too low for VR. I am expecting more 120hz native games on PS5 as some simple games were even running at that framerate on base PS4.

Some PSVR games were running at native 120hz. 45fps would be too low for VR. I am expecting more 120hz native games on PS5 as some simple games were even running at that framerate on base PS4.

45fps with various sorts of interpolation to 90 has been a thing on the PC for a while. Not sure how well or if that'd play nice with foveted rendering though.

Reactions: snc
Sony would make a killing make it PS and PC compatible.
A killing, maybe not. But it would help them gain market penetration, and drive VR in a way that would benefit them (and, arguably, everyone except possibly facebook). It would also give them an audience for their in-house developed VR-content on PC, which would give them some extra software revenue on top of hardware sales.

Even though I’m intrigued by PSVR2, having to buy a PS5 and the VR package is a bit steeper than I’d like. Selling PSVR2 for PC would expand their market, and if priced right, could achieve dominance to the point of becoming the de facto gaming standard for wired headsets.

Given Sony's willingness to publish titles on PC, it does make official PSVR2 support feel a little more feasible.

To throw a rumour further than it deserves, Alyx is coming to PS5 as Sony and Valve have an agreement for SteamVR support on PC.

Last edited:
45fps with various sorts of interpolation to 90 has been a thing on the PC for a while. Not sure how well or if that'd play nice with foveted rendering though.
If they didn't do it on PS4 (PSVR already supports 90hz) they won't do it on PS5. They must have their own reasons but I'd say it's probably because 45fps could increase motion sickness.

If they didn't do it on PS4 (PSVR already supports 90hz) they won't do it on PS5. They must have their own reasons but I'd say it's probably because 45fps could increase motion sickness.

The user doesn't experience 45fps, its 90 unique frames per second. It's just that (up to) half of them are created through post processing. They're not duplicates of the prior frame.

Oculus have just released a 36fps /72fps output version of ASW for Quest.

Didn't Sony have something like an ASW mode for a 60fps interpolated to 120?

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
The user doesn't experience 45fps, its 90 unique frames per second. It's just that (up to) half of them are created through post processing. They're not duplicates of the prior frame.

Oculus have just released a 36fps /72fps output version of ASW for Quest.

Didn't Sony have something like an ASW mode for a 60fps interpolated to 120?
Pretty sure PSVR didn't have any object location/time interpolation, just head reposition to latest location.

Little hypothessis, apparently Twisted Metal reboot is no longer developed by Lucid Games (Destruction All Stars) and now is produced by Firesprite (Persistance, Horizon Vr), see oportunity of full vr support also for this title.

Little hypothessis, apparently Twisted Metal reboot is no longer developed by Lucid Games (Destruction All Stars) and now is produced by Firesprite (Persistance, Horizon Vr), see oportunity of full vr support also for this title.

Unless head vibration works miracles, that sounds like a rather harsh VR experience.

Now I suddenly remember how awesome dreams is in VR and I can’t wait to use it with the new headset and controllers!

https://seekingalpha.com/article/44...y-on-q3-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript

During the earning call, they confirmed foveated rendering will use eye tracking. It was logic but never told clearly by Sony.

Hiroki Totoki

Your first question regarding VR, PSVR2 access we have already explained users have that sense of imagine, so setup itself will be simplified and headset will be evolving and will be evolving the headsets and already this is announced. Evolution of headset 4K, 8R displays with a wider viewing angle and movement of the eye of the player is detected looking at certain direction then it's possible to manipulate so for rendering the high resolution for center of the view and external then lower resolution.

EDIT

And 2 panels this time

PSVR was really hard to buy for the first 6 months or so due to supply and demand. Wonder how it will go this time. Something tells me it's not gonna be pretty. :)

Last edited:
official site
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-vr2/
Eye tracking
Interact in new and lifelike ways, as the PS VR2 headset detects the motion of your eyes1, allowing for heightened emotional response and enhanced expression when meeting fellow players online.

Eye tracking cameras follow your line of sight when aiming or looking around, while advanced foveated rendering techniques improve the visual experience by adjusting resolutions to pinpoint and enhance whatever you’re focusing on.

Headset feedback
Feel subtle, responsive headset vibrations at key moments during gameplay1. Created by a single built-in motor, these vibrations add an intelligent tactile element to the sensory immersion experienced as you play.

Detect your character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to your head, or the thrust of your vehicle as you speed forward.

Last edited:

I hadn't considered the eye contact element between avatars. That has a lot of potential.

The reference to a single feedback motor in the headset is interesting though in a less positive way. I imagine it was done for cost and possibly weight reasons but it likely limits the possibilities there, particularly with regards to simulating directional motion in order to reduce motion sickness.

Back