Astronomy and space exploration

It always bugged me in movies when some sort of huge explosion happens on a planet and we are shown a shockwave viewed from space, moving at a velocity which must be thousands of km per second to look like that.
The Tonga eruption footage from satellites is quite impressive, showing how such shockwave moves irl. Personally even more impressive is that at 18:10 UTC my own sensors showed a pressure spike of about 200pa. I found it hard to believe but reportedly it is really from Tonga, almost exactly the opposite side of the planet...

It always bugged me in movies when some sort of huge explosion happens on a planet and we are shown a shockwave viewed from space, moving at a velocity which must be thousands of km per second to look like that.
The Tonga eruption footage from satellites is quite impressive, showing how such shockwave moves irl. Personally even more impressive is that at 18:10 UTC my own sensors showed a pressure spike of about 200pa. I found it hard to believe but reportedly it is really from Tonga, almost exactly the opposite side of the planet...

Some fun stuff in this video from Scott Manley.

Yeah I done a rough estimate of the size of that ash cloud, it was about the size of spain, any idea how long it took for it to reach that size?

I spent 2 weeks on tonga a few years ago (Tongatapu & Eua), its so flat and small that if they had a major tsunami, no one would survive (Euas a bit more mountainous though, but bugger all ppl live there)

30cj9uiwkyb81.gif

I think the image cadence is something like 15 minutes. So seven frames is just short of two hours.

I think its supposed to be 10min, shockingly big & fast :oops:
Kinda surprisingly almost hard flat top to it instead of bulging up then dropping back.

I hadn't known it happened until the next day but did hear some bangs around the right time, had assumed someone was just letting off some late 'hooray the Catholics failed to assasinate the Protestant King day' fireworks

A bit smaller than Spain then, Interesting we still dont have many images from tonga. I know the internet cable is broken but we got some videos of the tsunami.
I can imagine its just coated in ash everywhere

Well the first part of focusing Webb has finished. Now it needs fine tuning
With the mirrors now positioned for almost correct images, they must be fine tuned to their operational accuracy of 50 nanometers, less than one wavelength of the light that will be detected. A technique called dispersed fringe sensing compares images from 20 pairings of mirrors, allowing most of the errors to be corrected ("Coarse Phasing")

Wikipedia has more

Shock result in particle experiment could spark physics revolution - BBC News
Scientists just outside Chicago have found that the mass of a sub-atomic particle is not what it should be.
The measurement is the first conclusive experimental result that is at odds with one of the most important and successful theories of modern physics.

The team has found that the particle, known as a W boson, is more massive than the theories predicted.
The result has been described as "shocking" by Prof David Tobak, who is the project co-spokesperson.

The discovery could lead to the development of a new, more complete theory of how the Universe works.
"The world is going to look different," he told BBC News. "There has to be a paradigm shift. The hope is that maybe this result is going to be the one that breaks the dam.
These, as yet unconfirmed results, also suggest deviations from the Standard Model, possibly as a result of an as yet undiscovered fifth force of nature at play.

Its my pet theory that the wave/particle duality is essentially a liquid surface/droplets relationship & the 'indivisible' level either doesn't actually exist or is much smaller than we think.

Nasa scientists spy 'largest comet ever seen' - BBC News
A comet with a nucleus 50 times bigger than normal is barrelling towards Earth at 22,000 miles per hour.
Nasa's Hubble telescope has determined the comet's icy nucleus has a mass of about 500 trillion tonnes and is 85 miles (137km) wide - larger than the US state of Rhode Island.

But not to worry. The closest it will get is one billion miles away from the Sun, and that won't be until 2031.

It was first spotted in 2010 but only now has Hubble confirmed its existence.
And it's larger than any comet ever seen by astronomers before.
_124162498_cometcropped.png

Rocket Lab did their first attempt at booster catch/recovery from a launch
Successful catch about 52min in but apparently it was wobbling/sitting badly so pilot dumped it & a recovery by ship (if they have to regularly run both helicopter & ship thats gonna really hurt the economics per the reasoning for the bigger rocket being rtb)

I didn't watch those vids/yet & was pretty 'meh' on this but Scott Manleys vid on it points out several reasons why this is actually super impressive. (not sure the extent to which these are covered in the above vids)
The size of this image compared to a Hubble Deep Field pixel is super impressive.
Fitting well with General Relativity predicted proportions is cool.
Timelapses where they've actually captured stars whizzing past at perihelion is also super cool.

US Congress holds first public UFO hearing in over 50 years - BBC News
The first public congressional hearing into UFO sightings in the US in over 50 years is being held on Tuesday.

The highly-anticipated testimony from two top military officials tasked with probing the sightings will be closely watched after decades of secrecy.
The Pentagon brass are expected to say that it has been a struggle to unearth witness accounts from government workers concerned about job security.

The hearing is being held in the House Intelligence Counterterrorism, Counterintelligence, and Counterproliferation Subcommittee.

The two officials testifying are Ronald Moultrie - the Pentagon's top intelligence official - and Scott Bray, the deputy director of naval intelligence.
The officials will describe US efforts to investigate Unexplained Aerial Phenomena (UAPs) - the government's term for UFOs - in a public hearing.

"The American people expect and deserve their leaders in government and intelligence to seriously evaluate and respond to any potential national security risks — especially those we do not fully understand," Representative André Carson said in a statement.

Ahead of the hearing, scientists and experts have written draft questions that they hope lawmakers will ask the witnesses.

Following the public hearing, the committee will close its doors for a private classified session with lawmakers.

UAP /UFOs probably need their own thread. They're nothing to do with space and astronomy, since they only occur in our atmosphere.

Back