GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
RTX off is some of the worst lighting I've seen in a while. RTX on looks very similar to standard probe GI we have been using. Maybe I'm missing something?

RTX off is some of the worst lighting I've seen in a while.
Well, with probes there will always be issues with lighting mismatch depending on day time cycle conditions, scene configuration and state of objects in scene, such as trees.
I guess this game has both the destructible environment as well as dynamic day-night cycle, hence with static probes, a few sets of probes must be prebaket just for the dynamic day-night cycle, let alone destructible environment which would require another set of probes times another set of day-night probes on top of that.
With RTXGI you don't need to prebake all possible sets of probes for all scenes configurations, hence the proper dynamic GI.

Most of the areas not in direct light are almost completely black in many of those RTX off clips. Not even a flat ambient grade.

RTX off is some of the worst lighting I've seen in a while. RTX on looks very similar to standard probe GI we have been using. Maybe I'm missing something?

RTX on doesn’t look that great either. The indirect luminance and color looks off and the resolution seems low. Almost like directional ambient light of the wrong color.

RTX on doesn’t look that great either. The indirect luminance and color looks off and the resolution seems low. Almost like directional ambient light of the wrong color.

I thought the colour looked off in a lot of places to. The tree trunks lose their natural colour. I'm assuming a lot of that could be how the materials are designed. They shouldn't be picking up so much green from the vegetation around them. I don't know if that's an RTXGI problem so much as a material problem. Not sure though.

Possibly the new "Infinite Scrolling Volumes" feature (uses ray tracing to constantly update the Global Illumination lighting volume around the player) still needs some fine tuning. I believe this is the first game to use it.

Excuse the link to our article:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-the-matrix-ue5-demo-is-incredible

UE5 switches lumen to use hardware ray tracing for Diffuse direct, indirect, and reflections and also for Area Light shadows, while also running on console hardware. Based on the interview I had with Epic engineers, Epic find HWRT to be a good fidelity and performance fit for nanite and lumen even in a very dense urban environment and running on consoles to boot.

Excuse the link to our article:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-the-matrix-ue5-demo-is-incredible

UE5 switches lumen to use hardware ray tracing for Diffuse direct, indirect, and reflections and also for Area Light shadows, while also running on console hardware. Based on the interview I had with Epic engineers, Epic find HWRT to be a good fidelity and performance fit for nanite and lumen even in a very dense urban environment and running on consoles to boot.
Glad to see UE5 is finally making proper use of HW-RT, increasing performance and fidelity at the same time compared to a software based approach.
It's incredible RT is running on the consoles while also having such a complex environment to render. It really looks like Epic improved HW-RT a lot compared to the UE5 Early Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back