The Persistence [PS4, XO, PC, NX, VR]

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Have you been looking for a disturbingly creepy System Shock 2-ish experience with map layouts that change and essentially a form of permadeath because almost everything resets on each death? Well, until now PSVR has had that game held hostage!!! Now it's going multiplatform and it is no longer VR-only.

Stumbled on it on Steam the other day. They originally announced a free "complete edition" for PS4 without the VR requirement but went dark for a year. I guess the plan changed to go multiplatform.

I'm looking forward to trying it again. It was quite difficult to see its dark environments in the grainy low resolution PSVR.

I've been playing the PSVR version on the TV lately now that it's updated to work that way. I think it's running 1080p60 on the PS4Pro. I think it's a lot more enjoyable on the big screen.

I tried it on the HP Reverb on PC as well and that is certainly much clearer than the PSVR. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to respond to the SteamVR resolution settings so you can't oversample it.

But anyway, this is a pretty unique mini System Shock 2 sorta thing. I think it's worth a try if you like that kind of game.

Last edited:
Firesprite has released another free overhaul for their fine roguelike space horror game. The enhanced edition does the raytracing dance among other terror-enriching improvements.

The Persistence Enhanced edition brings improved lighting and particle effects and the addition of Dynamic 4k Performance and Raytracing Quality modes for XBOX Series X and PlayStation®5, which also includes immersive haptic feedback via DualSense™. DXR implementation is enabled for PC's with a supported graphics card.

The Enhanced Edition is available as standalone paid digital download and as a free upgrade for existing owners of The Persistence on PlayStation®4, XBOX, XBOX One X and Steam platforms.

Last edited:
This will be an extra PS+ game for November and December, along with Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners and Until You Fall.

It got a PS5 visuals upgrade with raytracing to enhance your terror. Maxing out the settings kills performance pretty good though.

LOL actually I already post about that above heh.

Last edited:
FYI, once you’ve claimed the PS+ Persistence, you can then claim another version (because of Cross Play) which becomes a permanent addition to your library, rather than a timed PS+ one. I don’t see an expiration date on my copy, anyway. Claim Persistence from the PS+ monthly freebies page, then I guess search for Persistence and see if there’s another version (the enhanced edition?) you can add to your library.

Back