Your recommended PC software

Theeoo

Regular
What software do you use regularly that you would not hesitate to recommend if anyone should enquire about a specific task related to said software?

We can pretty much get Windows, Office and Visual Studio (for devs) out of the way for starters though. Chrome, Firefox, Edge et al as well. Steam and others like GOG are also pretty much ubiquitous for pc gaming at this point so that can be ruled out.

For an x86 laptop or tablet, you should investigate ThrottleStop.
MSI Afterburner for the sweet undervolt + overclock action on any discrete GPU hardware
There's a freeware implementation of Windows ramdrive; I can't remember where I got it now, but I install it on all my big boxes. I set it up to clear itself on every boot, I assign all the global and user %temp% variables to point there, I also symlink all my browser cache there.

Music - Spotify
Videos - VLC
General productivity - MS Office
Community chat/Voice - Discord app
Game stores - Steam, Xbox, GoG
Image manipulation - Photoshop

Those are my staples

F.lux in order to save your eyes (only when you don't need accurate colors obviously). It's very easy to install and use with pre-defined settings.

F.lux in order to save your eyes (only when you don't need accurate colors obviously). It's very easy to install and use with pre-defined settings.
this is built into windows 10 nowadays (though its buggy, I have it so it gets turned on at 23:00 -> 6:00 but if I wake up at 4am and go on the PC, it wont be going, I go into the settings and the slider is on max, but if I drag the slider value to be less, windows goes, oh shit I forgot, night light is meant to be on, I will turn it on now, sorry I forgot, and the screen suddenly goes red :LOL: )

MPC-HC for videos, AIMP for music, BANDIZIP (6.29) compress/decompress, Notepad++, PAINT.NET (with plugins), SumatraPDF and FreeFileSync

What plugins do you use with paint.net ?
Edharveys, Photoshop filetype, Optipng and others. I try from time to time other ones. Paint.net 4.3.3 is just out and need to check if there is any incompatibility or main program has the feature (or speed) and is not needed.

Back