IMG CXT with PowerVR Photon ray tracing architecture

CarstenS

Legend
Supporter
I'll just leave this here:

Imagination Technologies announces IMG CXT, its flagship GPU IP which debuts its PowerVR Photon ray tracing architecture. By adding Photon hardware ray tracing, the IMG CXT represents another big jump in GPU IP, delivering incredible performance for games and other graphical use cases. Photon, the industry’s most advanced ray tracing architecture, brings desktop-quality visuals to mobile and embedded applications and has already been licensed for multiple markets.

https://www.imaginationtech.com/new...n-launches-the-most-advanced-ray-tracing-gpu/

So this means that Apple's totally-not-PowerVR iGPU for their future Mx SoCs will eventually bring ray tracing acceleration in the form of totally-not-Photon?

So this means that Apple's totally-not-PowerVR iGPU for their future Mx SoCs will eventually bring ray tracing acceleration in the form of totally-not-Photon?

What matters is if and which way money flows. But most likely yes for the question.

Last edited:
1.3GRay/s........ RTX2060 is 5GRay/s (As long as they're comparable) but no doubt requires much more power.

The mobile space might actually help the desktop parts to become more efficient.

It's level 4 implementation too!

Last edited:
What does "hardware photon tracing™" even mean and how does it differ from hw RR? Isn't it all just rays being traced at the end of the day?

What does "hardware photon tracing™" even mean and how does it differ from hw RR? Isn't it all just rays being traced at the end of the day?
I don't know either what you're referring at, but one could claim such acceleration for example if we can add and query custom data (e.g. 'photons') to the existing BVH.
But this would be flexible. And generally useful. So i don't think that's what GPU designers would do.

So it's probably a blackbox which can just do photon tracing and nothing else but just works. \:D/

I don't know either what you're referring at, but one could claim such acceleration for example if we can add and query custom data (e.g. 'photons') to the existing BVH.
But this would be flexible. And generally useful. So i don't think that's what GPU designers would do.

So it's probably a blackbox which can just do photon tracing and nothing else but just works. \:D/

Pardon my ignorance, but where did the "hardware photon tracing™" quote come from?

IIRC, "Photon" was the name selected by a poll conducted in Imagination a few years back, when we wanted a name for the latest generation of our Ray Tracing Hardware system. The previous generation was Wizard.

Not to get my trumpet out, but I picked the name (I was product manager for it at the time).
I suppose I could look through old emails to verify but you look like a trustworthy type of bloke so I'll take your word😊

(if it had been me, it'd probably be another model of a car I'd owned or a native Australian animal)

Well if you folks can't find a good successing codename in greek for future architectures, latin ie something like ILLUMINATI is also an option :D

Idk, guess milk has confused some thing.
He was referring to the link in the post above his response.
Aimed at mobiles as well as automotive, cloud and desktop use, it has been dubbed IMG CXT, and includes the first outing of the company’s ‘Photon’ ray tracing architecture.

“By adding Photon hardware ray tracing, IMG CXT represents a jump in GPU IP, delivering incredible performance for games and other graphical use cases,” according to Imagination. “Photon brings desktop-quality visuals to mobile and embedded applications, and has already been licensed for multiple markets.”

The Milk guy is an idiot and his poor reading is only surpassed by his terrible writing.

I suppose I could look through old emails to verify but you look like a trustworthy type of bloke so I'll take your word😊

(if it had been me, it'd probably be another model of a car I'd owned or a native Australian animal)
So we missed PowerVR Platypus!?

Back