Retro PS2 gaming on a CRT - PS2 vs PS3

I've took them apart before, crazy how it's still going (and reading PS2 dicks still)

ZOE2 is there.......... collection is weird, DMC3 is there but there's no DMC or DMC 2.

And there's some crap games on there that'll just remove, also games that I have on my soft modded Xbox (And I know run loads better on the Xbox) that I might also remove.

I have one more shelf slot space for a slot loading console and not sure what to get, thinking of a modded Wii to play GC and N64 games.

Ah, you can just load the images you want to the HDD, 1TB is enough for a one-time job for all the important games. Not all xbox versions are directly better, for example SSX tricky/SSX3 they might run better on the xbox, but i just cant play these with the xbox controller. Theres more such examples.

If your into fighting games, the PS2 is the platform for that in 6th gen era. Virtua Fighter 4 only made it to that system, for example (arguably best fighter for that time).

Wii is the best choice for any GC work, i have one dedicated for that. Its a GC with the wii as a bonus. As a matter of fact, the Wii is better for classic GC gaming then the original GC is for many reasons. Still have my launch GC aswell as two others (silver 2005's).

Ah, you can just load the images you want to the HDD, 1TB is enough for a one-time job for all the important games. Not all xbox versions are directly better, for example SSX tricky/SSX3 they might run better on the xbox, but i just cant play these with the xbox controller. Theres more such examples.

I know exactly what you mean, Tony Hawks just doesn't feel right on an Xbox pad.

If your into fighting games, the PS2 is the platform for that in 6th gen era. Virtua Fighter 4 only made it to that system, for example (arguably best fighter for that time).

Ah VF4....... The game that proved PS2 could actually do anti-aliasing!

Wii is the best choice for any GC work, i have one dedicated for that. Its a GC with the wii as a bonus. As a matter of fact, the Wii is better for classic GC gaming then the original GC is for many reasons. Still have my launch GC aswell as two others (silver 2005's).

I want it for GC, N64 and SNES....... does it support 240p output?

I'm seriously thinking of changing this Phillips CRT I have, my eye sight just can't on with how the display looks.

Ah VF4....... The game that proved PS2 could actually do anti-aliasing!

Amazing looking backgrounds aswell. Ghosthunter if you really want to see what the PS2 could do.

I want it for GC, N64 and SNES....... does it support 240p output?

Yes as far im aware using Retroarch (either over composite, component or scart). I dont think 480p would be a problem anyway, not even for N64 or snes stuff. Not for me atleast.

I'm seriously thinking of changing this Phillips CRT I have, my eye sight just can't on with how the display looks.

Ten years ago it was quite easy to get ahold of some good CRT tv's, today its ye..... look for second hand/marketplace sometimes people want to get rid of them. Sony/panasonic had some nice tubes, Wega, trinitron, quintrix... have had them all :p
Loved the panasonics, dunno why, they had such great IQ.

I've been enjoying PCSX2 on PC. Higher quality PS2 gaming. Some games like CON look amazing, although some games still glitch or have slowdowns at times.

As for sourcing a CRT, there's a website called Freecycle where people give stuff away if you are able to collect. I gave away a cheapo 14" CRT just last week. Used it to test some old computers and VCRs on a clearout. Egads, how did we cope with the flickering?! I wouldn't use a radioactive flickertube ever again!! Maybe a high-end 120Hz would be survivable, but bog-standard PAL must have caused no end of brain damage. That might explain current politicians who grew up watching the thing... ;)

I didn't realise that retroarch has a PS2 build as well (I mean running on hard/softmodded PS2). Not sure how good it is though.

I've been enjoying PCSX2 on PC. Higher quality PS2 gaming. Some games like CON look amazing, although some games still glitch or have slowdowns at times.

As for sourcing a CRT, there's a website called Freecycle where people give stuff away if you are able to collect. I gave away a cheapo 14" CRT just last week. Used it to test some old computers and VCRs on a clearout. Egads, how did we cope with the flickering?! I wouldn't use a radioactive flickertube ever again!! Maybe a high-end 120Hz would be survivable, but bog-standard PAL must have caused no end of brain damage. That might explain current politicians who grew up watching the thing... ;)

I would love an emulator on a PC to run 576i with down sampling but sadly the GPU hardware required to run that doesn't support RGB over 21pin Scart and converters don't work well at all.

Getting CRT's isn't an issue, I have a 28inch Phillips CRT with Pixel Plus (I'm still not 100% convinced I like what Pixel Plus does to the image) that I picked up local for the same cost as a few beers.

I had ten CRT monitors in the garage at one point, they're amazing and when played in a pitch black room like I did they really come in to their own..... and that motion clarity simply can be beaten.

Last edited:
You could play an awesome prank, and get someone to go into your garage at night and play a clip of the Saw puppet saying "I want to play a game" on the monitors to put the wind up 'em.

I thought the PAL version of Tekken Tag Tournament proved that much earlier

People often dismissed TTT for some reason..... But we had VF4 that was a jaggie fest and then VF4 EVO which was smooth.

It was the first time we had a the 'same' game showing such a difference.

I'm having more fun playing PS2 and OG Xbox (Looking for a soft-modded Wii U) then I have done for years on the modern consoles.

I feel like I'm actually playing games and I've enough games to keep me busy for a life time.

A few snaps I took....

SH2 looks awesome on a CRT as the deep blacks really add to the atmosphere.

And a shot of the good old Emotion Engine.

SH2.jpg

EE.jpg

I'm having more fun playing PS2 and OG Xbox (Looking for a soft-modded Wii U) then I have done for years on the modern consoles.

Fully agree. Graphics and all have improved alot ofcourse, but gameplay wise? Give me 6th gen era of games. In special the PS2 with its huge library/extreme amount of AAA exclusives to that system.

https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/...y2De4l-CNKN6TMkcd3F5GuiUFMX6sgTx5sjPtFOGUBwvU

The comments on their FB page are in that direction aswell, most are saying they'd actually prefer to be given a mint GC over a current gen PS5/XSX/XSS console.

SH2 looks awesome on a CRT as the deep blacks really add to the atmosphere.

Played it 2018 on the PS2 and Xbox, the ps2 version is the version to go for graphically and audio-wise aswell.

Back