3 full next-generation hardware screenshots

Uttar said:
991060 said:
I'd like to see the FPS number :rolleyes:
There's a time for everything. Patience is a virtue ;) :)
Although, do you remember 3DFX's vision of FSAA integration? Well, I think these screenshots fully follow them.

Uttar

Are we discussing the "free" FSAA the rampage was suppose to have? If so, I think I already pre-ordered my nv40 :oops:

tEd said:
SsP45 said:
Here's a pic of the same scene, as close as I could get it, from my 9800 Pro. 1280x960, 6x AA, 16x AF, everything set to max in the UT2004 settings. Sorry about the file size, but I used an uncompressed Bitmap for max quality. ~ 3.8MB per file. It's really easy to see the hard time ATI's AF is having on the tilted ramps.

http://members.rogers.com/devon.ruhl/UT2004-6x-16x.bmp

http://members.rogers.com/devon.ruhl/UT2004-6x-16x-2.bmp

could you do some with 4x? That would be great.

Will do, I'll do 4x AA and 4x AF like the NV4X shots. I will have to take down the other shots though, due to limited web space and bandwidth.
________
Vaporizers

Last edited by a moderator:
Waltar said:
Uttar said:
991060 said:
I'd like to see the FPS number :rolleyes:
There's a time for everything. Patience is a virtue ;) :)
Although, do you remember 3DFX's vision of FSAA integration? Well, I think these screenshots fully follow them.

Uttar

Are we discussing the "free" FSAA the rampage was suppose to have? If so, I think I already pre-ordered my nv40 :oops:

Didn't 3DFX want to use Super-Sampling with integrated anisotropic filtering to reduce blurring?
________
Bmw F650 Single History

SsP45 said:
Will do, I'll do 4x AA and 4x AF like the NV4X shots. I will have to take down the other shots though, due to limited web space and bandwidth.

Have you already known it's from NV4X, or just speculating? :oops:

Waltar said:
The Rampage-FSAA was not "for free". It was a "classic" MSAA implementation.

991060 said:
SsP45 said:

Assuming it from the stated 'fact' that the card is limited to 8x AF. I doubt ATI would suddenly lower their maximum AF from 16x to 8x.
________
Volcano Vaporizer

It was only "free" when using quad-texturing, i.e. there wouldn't be any further performance hit after using quad-texturing.

Exxtreme said:
Waltar said:
The Rampage-FSAA was not "for free". It was a "classic" MSAA implementation.

There was an old powerpoint doc saying otherwise..I wish I remembered where it was. :oops:

Lecram25 said:
It was only "free" when using quad-texturing, i.e. there wouldn't be any further performance hit after using quad-texturing.
I know. But "quad texturing" (or simply anisotropic filtering) was not "for free". :)

SsP45 said:
991060 said:
SsP45 said:

Assuming it from the stated 'fact' that the card is limited to 8x AF. I doubt ATI would suddenly lower their maximum AF from 16x to 8x.

8xAF as a maximum is not a fact, at least not until we have final drivers :)

SsP45 said:

Are you descendant of Sherlock Holmes :oops:

very clever and reasonable guess ;)

Vegetto-eX said:
SsP45 said:
991060 said:
SsP45 said:

I'm still thinking it to be from the NV4X. The screenshots also look to have sort of Digital Vibrance enabled, as they are a bit warmer and brighter looking than the ones taken with my 9800 Pro.
________
MACINTOSH GAMES

Here are some observations I've made. These are made from looking at the 2nd UT2004 shot, the one with the lava.

1) the "NV4X" shot has slightly better AA, close to ATI's 6X.

2) the back wall, right above the lava is much sharper on my 9800 shot

3) the "NV4X" shot is quite a bit brighter

4) the "NV4X" shot is much softer looking, almost super sample soft, almost slightly blurred

5) the "NV4X" shot appears to be AA'ing the grating on the left of the shield power-up, while the 9800 shot is not

It seems to me that all the textures in the "NV4X" shot are a bit more blurry than the ones from the 9800. I'm leaning towards a super-sample/multi-sample mix. I zoomed in on the gun using 20-magnification using IrfanView, and the entire gun is less detailed and blurrier on the "NV4X" shot.
________
Zr750K

SsP45 said:
Vegetto-eX said:
SsP45 said:
991060 said:
SsP45 said:

I'm still thinking it to be from the NV4X. The screenshots also look to have sort of Digital Vibrance enabled, as they are a bit warmer and brighter looking than the ones taken with my 9800 Pro.

It does indeed have digital vibrance, and maybe the brightness and contrast was moved a little :)

Back