Thinking of upgrading my monitor in a reasonable way.

Isn't that just backlight bleed?

I have a slight bit brighter edge fading to normal brightness over a few mm on the LG 43".
I think is pretty normal esp for IPS.
Only really notice when there is a white window at the edge & I'm actually looking at that edge, its off in the peripheral vision most of the time so I don't notice it mostly.
But its more than on the Dell 30", have to look real close to spot it on that monitor.

Dark room watching a movie I have noticed blacks are kinda grey, normal for IPS but a little more noticeable than my Dell, probably partly because the black bars are more area on the bigger monitor, the 43 is a bit brighter & colder colour temp though (haven't made too much attempt to match with the Dell) & thats probably also somewhat related.
Right at the edge is also brighter next to blackbars but it seems to fade in about 1mm instead of several mm on white window.
Unless its a very dark scene I don't really notice either when I'm actually looking at the movie.

Isn't that just backlight bleed?

I have a slight bit brighter edge fading to normal brightness over a few mm on the LG 43".
I think is pretty normal esp for IPS.
Only really notice when there is a white window at the edge & I'm actually looking at that edge, its off in the peripheral vision most of the time so I don't notice it mostly.
But its more than on the Dell 30", have to look real close to spot it on that monitor.

Dark room watching a movie I have noticed blacks are kinda grey, normal for IPS but a little more noticeable than my Dell, probably partly because the black bars are more area on the bigger monitor, the 43 is a bit brighter & colder colour temp though (haven't made too much attempt to match with the Dell) & thats probably also somewhat related.
Right at the edge is also brighter next to blackbars but it seems to fade in about 1mm instead of several mm on white window.
Unless its a very dark scene I don't really notice either when I'm actually looking at the movie.

its not backlight bleed, as it makes "darker" instead of "whiter/brighter".

here's the issue
angled (Large).jpg

See on the left of "https". its darker, and you can see that there's an optical illusion making it seems there are pixels on top of the shadowed/darker areas, there's also looks as if there's a gap on the left. Making it looks like its curved away from you, like a Samsung phone.

not an issue when viewed straight on
straight (Large).jpg

(ignore the chromatic aberration, its due to the horrible google pixel 1 camera)

EDIT:
btw LG RGB IPS monitor and TV also have issues in showing blues. Where a small population of people can see the blue became full of vertical lines.

as for LG RGBW IPS monitor and TV, it have issues in showing mesh-like diagonal lines when showing yellows. Also only can be seen by a small population of pepole.

LG OLED (including the latest EVO panel) also have issue (color bleed on yellows) that only can be scene by small population of people.

as far as my experiences, these issues are not in
- Samsung VA panels
- TCL VA panels
- Changhong IPS panels

the color bleed issue also happen on Samsung AMOLED panel. But only for low resolution amoled, like on 720p samsung AMOLED phones. And only on blacks instead of yellows.

Last edited:
Hmm, I maybe have something similar but you need to get in super close at a sideways angle I'm never going to actually look at it from.
yep for most people its a non isue.
on my 29 inch monitor, its a non issue most of the time. on my 49 inch TV used at monitor distance, its super obvious when i placed taskbar on left/right side.

On my 32" monitors at normal distance it's impossible for me to position myself in a way where I don't see it on the left or right side. It isn't a deal breaker, but my eyes do have a hard time focusing on the edge because it has that 3d effect.

Another update just 'cause I noticed something last night. It's no longer I have fps issues, I can hit most of what I want, it's just how hot do I want my card to run. :/

I've been capping most of my games to 60-90fps just to keep my temps down. If I cap 'em I stay around 70c, if not it goes close to and in to the 80s. (RX580)

Stupid, but something. I can't believe how much better everything performs still. My GPU can handle gaming in the 80s, I just don't want to stress it.

Have you tried cleaning and repasting your GPU's heatsink? I had an r9 390 that always ran hot. 80-90c right out of the box. After the first year I repasted it and it was in the 70s from then on.

Have you tried cleaning and repasting your GPU's heatsink? I had an r9 390 that always ran hot. 80-90c right out of the box. After the first year I repasted it and it was in the 70s from then on.
I haven't yet, mainly out of fear. Last card I tore down had TIM on some memory and the stuff ripped and I had the damnedest time tracking some down. I liked it when GPU's coolers were separate from their memory, so much easier to pull/repaste.

I might try that, but I just cleaned a bunch of dust out of the two fans out of her and the heatsink so I'm expecting some better temps anyways. :)

When I did mine I didn't expect it to make much of a difference because it always ran hot. I couldn't believe how much better it was. I think my r9 was an XFX model, and other people with that brand said the same thing online.

Hardware Unboxed have just released a video
Best Gaming Monitors of 2021: 1440p, 4K, Ultrawide, 1080p, HDR and Budget Choices

Seems fine I'm actually disappointed with costco they have a reputation of being super cheap almost wholesale prices and the price just seems ok
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...backlit-ultrawide-gaming-monit-mo-15s-lg.html

I'm very suspicious of the HDR10 (max brightness is 260nits)
finding a review isnt easy this is the best ive found
Costco I believe gives a 5 year warranty on it if you use their credit card plus 5% back on top of the price. In the states you get 1 year through the manufacturing

Back