What are the best games you've played on PC from all time?

Some of my favorite PC games:

Half Life 2 (HL1 is also great but I think 2 is way better).
Witcher 3
FEAR
Civ 4
Diablo 3
X3: Reunion
Morrowind
DiRT
Crysis
New Vegas
Anno 1701
GTA5
Overwatch
Battlefield Bad Company 2

For me, the most memorable PC games are:

C & C in GTA 5: Call of Duty: Red Alert warzone

Counter-offensive (pre 1.0)

Sam is dead serious in the first and second encounters.

The best Spider-Man series, as well as many others.

Can't be beat. Music is ace. Story is ace. Adventure is ace. Gameplay is incredible for something so simple.

Beast. This is still the best mechwarrior game.

Best RTS I've ever had the opportunity to play. I made it to top 20 in the world. So incredible this game, no other RTS played like this, especially when it came to team games.

Gotta be up there as well. This game is the root of the largest MOBAs in the world and the largest MMO in the world. What an incredible game, solo played very differently from 2s. Single player campaign was easily some of the best in an RTS. I thought this was better than Starcraft storyline.

Starcraft should be here as honorable mention with the above 2.
Red Alert also honorable mention here, I managed to break top 200 during the peak of online play here on Case's ladder. Fun game, but overwhelmed with performance issues, and balance was terrible.
Before Red Alert though, there was Dune. And Dune was incredible for it's time.

Moving quickly to the game that has sucked up a year of my (awake) life.
World of Warcraft Classic.

Rounding off the RPGs
System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate I/II, Planescape Torment

Firing off on FPS titles
Quake 2/3A, Half Life, Counter Strike
Honorable mention for Battlezone remake.

You'll notice that my top games list holds a ton of games from Activision from a very specific era where they created incredible sound tracks and left them on the cd and you could just play them. From Mechwarrior 2 to Dark Reign to Battlezone, they all had them.

Really wish they invested that type of money into music instead of graphics.

Yes I-war intro was great & the developers really thought through their space-combat/ship design/tech amazingly well in that game.

Speaking of great old space games with great intros: I forgot Klingon Academy in my initial list :oops::runaway:
The game was not wildly successful because its graphics were dated at release (though the ginsu system of progressive hull damage was great) which is a shame because the actual gameplay was pretty excellent & more than any other game I've played the plot really enhances the official canon, providing a great insight into Klingon society, especially the build-up to & motivations of the characters in the Startrek VI movie.

Yes I-war intro was great & the developers really thought through their space-combat/ship design/tech amazingly well in that game.

Speaking of great old space games with great intros: I forgot Klingon Academy in my initial list :oops::runaway:
The game was not wildly successful because its graphics were dated at release (though the ginsu system of progressive hull damage was great) which is a shame because the actual gameplay was pretty excellent & more than any other game I've played the plot really enhances the official canon, providing a great insight into Klingon society, especially the build-up to & motivations of the characters in the Startrek VI movie.
Ahhh yeah, Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy were both great. Even the console versions of Starfleet Academy was great, and one of the few 32x games still worth playing today.

Those are the hard questions :)

Loom (I think it was the first PC game I ever played)
Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Grim Fandango
Hexen
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight 2
X-Wing-Tie-Alliance
Wing Commander 3-4
Quake
Tomb Rider
Resident Evil (I can't remember if I played 2 on the pc, because that would be my pick)
No-one lives forever (I still remember the song after all those years)
Half Life 1-2-Alyx
Max Payne 2
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Baldur's Gate 2
Vampire The Masquerade
Knights of the Old Republic
Deus Ex
TES Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim
Sleeping Dogs
Far Cry 3
Mass Effect 2
Crysis 2
Guild Wars 2
The Division 2

It couldn't be just 10...

Edit
Reading your posts
System Shock 2

Mechwarrior 2
How could I forget those two!!!
Mechwarrior 2 especially.
Also someone mentioned Blade of Darkness, that just got a "remastered" version.

Last edited:
I love severance what do you think of the remaster?
Nothing other than I have it on my wish list :)
It was an amazing game for its time, but I don't think that it's worth 13 euros today especially considering I have the original boxed version somewhere...
I know I'll buy it at some point, but it will mostly be for sentimental/nostalgic reasons.

This thread brings me to tears, seeing all this history and the gaming king that PC gaming used to be, now it's nothing more then a port box relying mainly on console scraps and 3rd parties :(

Will we ever get another Quake moment? Another Crysis?

This thread brings me to tears, seeing all this history and the gaming king that PC gaming used to be, now it's nothing more then a port box relying mainly on console scraps and 3rd parties :(

Unfortunately we will never get back to this:

It's just one of those, you had to have been playing during those times. Modern design has largely moved away from skill earned by being smarter/better to progression for time/money spent playing the game. ie - you get exclusive access to perks/skills/attachments/guns for doing nothing but playing the game more. Also a heavy move towards very low TTK. So people die very quickly regardless of weapon you use. Loadouts also largely dominate the MP scene as well, once again, as personalization is what players want.

It's not necessarily worse, as it expands the player base significantly, but it takes away the most spectator portions of the game. Which is to really be blown away by the skill ceiling some of these unforgiving games can reach.

Same for the consoles, they had their gaming king times aswell pre-PS4 generation, i'd even consider the 6th gen to be the last (same for PC). Now all platforms basically have universal games. Still, the PC enjoys both MS and Sony games, aswell as its own exclusives and the largest BC to be found. Aswell as the better-versions technically. But indeed, its no more like 20-ish years ago :p

Back