Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Without an actual comparison, it might be assuming too much about whether the PS5 was being compared to its competitor.
Those numbers are decent, but from what I've seen in other reviews inferior to the standalone chiplet Zen2 products.
The Zen2 APUs seemed to have even better inter-ccx latencies.
It took something like the 3950X to get latencies in this range.

Perhaps the other chip could have worse latencies, if the lower GPU clock somehow reduced the data fabric speed. This data in isolation isn't presenting a serious challenge at mildly to significantly longer latency than various Zen2 products.
Sure it's only assumption, but that tweet is the only substantial information (from a legit guy) we have. He was talking about 120hz gaming and for now it seems he is completely right as most 120hz games run better (including the last COD at the same resolution) or the same on PS5 when they shouldn't on paper: slower clocks on PS5, reduced GDDR6 bandwidth and even half FPU power.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...ess-to-ps5-stock-if-you-pay-extra-200-a-year/

Seriously why dont they just raise the price of a PS5 $100?(*)
Scalpers will prolly still happen, but greatly reduced

Its obvious by now that the supply vs demand price was set far too low

(*)It may drive some ppl off purchasing a PS5 (and perhaps forever if they are esp stubborn, how dare they raise the price blah blah)
hmmm maybe they could do what Nintendo just done, raise the price by introducing a new version. Eg release a ps5, 2TB SSD (and extra controller) for $700

Seriously why dont they just raise the price of a PS5 $100?(*)
Scalpers will prolly still happen, but greatly reduced
This doesnt make any sense at all.
You are trying to eliminate scalpers by just replacing them with official scalpers.
:LOL:

You are trying to eliminate scalpers by just replacing them with official scalpers.
It does make sense. If PS5 were all 600$ there would be much less scalping so more available PS5s. And 600$ is less expensive than 800$.

you could look at it that way, I consider it just a mispricing of a product.

Whos more deserving of the $100?

A/ The person that makes the product / provides the service etc
B/ A middleman whos exploiting a market loophole

This is not just about consoles but anything, food, cars, tshirts, concert tickets whatever

you could look at it that way, I consider it just a mispricing of a product.

Whos more deserving of the $100?

A/ The person that makes the product / provides the service etc
B/ A middleman whos exploiting a market loophole

This is not just about consoles but anything, food, cars, tshirts, concert tickets whatever
Both are at the expense and exploitable of the consumer.
One it is at the expense of some at a higher price, the other it is as the expense of everyone at a higher price but not as high.
Both are exploitation because of the existence scalpers.
The rest is just rhetoric excuses

How about a compromise? Sony bumps PS5 prices by $100 for a year or until the shortage clears, whichever comes first. It compensates by retaining $60 new game pricing for the same period (while lowering their standard 30% cut for non-cross-gen titles to help incentivize devs and pubs to launch on a smaller platform). Gamers get potentially better availability and some of that $100 back with each new release.

The cynic in me thinks Best Buy knows availability may be better in the near future and is rolling this program out while shortages still exist. If that extended warranty covers anything you buy during the year, then it’s not a bad deal (though I think many credit cards give you an extra year of warranty).

Actually, it isn’t necessarily a good deal on an extended warranty because you need an active membership for the duration of the “up to” two years. You’d need buy a decent amount of tech at once (say, two new iPhone Pros) to justify it from a warranty standpoint (ignoring the tech suppport and product availability benefits).

Btw, what are the "updates" that the dual-sense are getting with PS5 FW upgrade? What improvements changes do they actually do?

Btw, what are the "updates" that the dual-sense are getting with PS5 FW upgrade? What improvements changes do they actually do?

I only know 1: it fixes the problem where dual sense misrepresented the battery remaining power

Judging by the latest beta firmware for the Sony X900H TV (see HDTVTest’s typically excellent video) and assuming Sony are partly delaying to make their TVs look good, I guess VRR is still a ways away. Another firmware update is due by the end of the year, so there’s some hope?

Quick summary: VRR eliminates tearing but it limits the 120Hz panel to 60Hz, adds lag, and compromises local dimming. There are a few PQ and QOL improvements outside of gaming mentioned in the video.

Back