Windows 11 [2021]

Orange -- try this: click the windows key, type the name of an application you have installed, and then right-click the app icon. Do you see Uninstall in the context menu?

I tried for several minutes to get to that Windows 7 Backup utility and couldn't get there. I didn't think to launch the applet manually...

Magie's (a FSR injector) author has created a video comparing Windows 11 Super Lite, tweaked by him vs Windows 11 Stock. The results are quite self-explanatory.

It obviously rebooted faster, I'm not sure anything else in there actually went repeatably faster. The benchmark results in that video are within the margin of error between the two instances. The hard reboot time isn't as interesting, because a shutdown / power up cycle will use the kernel hibernation function so boot time will be inconsequential for must power cycles.

I'm always a little suspicious of the highly customized "lite" versions of operating system images. I used to build those back in the XP and Vista days for creating "optimal" Windows PE images, and honestly it always ended up being a curious tradeoff for functionality. In modern times, a ~0.5% performance difference in real world apps isn't worth a tradoff; I really couldn't care less about another handful of gigabytes of disk space usage; disk is cheap.

I went ahead an updated my TVPC to Win11. It's a 7600K so I used the CPU check bypass method posted on the previous page here. I do have TPM 2.0 and secure boot setup but the CPU is unsupported. I did an in-place upgrade install and it seems to work fine.

I mainly wanted to do it to try the AutoHDR with old games on my LG OLED TV. I guess this is different than just enabling full-time HDR with Win10? Anyway, I enabled HDR and the AutoHDR and tried Alien Isolation and Evil Within and both looked improved for the most part. Evil Within has some white cutoff but still looks less dull overall I think.

Windows 11 TPM Requirement? Bypass it in 5 Minutes | TechPowerUp Forums
Looks like we won't have to throw out those "incompatible" PC's when moving to Win 11.
According to the posts there is also no problem receiving updates.
Currently, that is, but there really isn't mqny updates out yet either. There may be issues later on, I'd expect first major updates to be potential to raise issues on those that completely bypassed it and possibly those who used TPM 1.2 method

Currently, that is, but there really isn't mqny updates out yet either. There may be issues later on, I'd expect first major updates to be potential to raise issues on those that completely bypassed it and possibly those who used TPM 1.2 method
It's possible there may be issues later, but currently none and a good alternative for people stuck with incompatible CPU's. The price of TPM 2.0 modules near msrp and should not be a problem if TPM issues appear in the future.

Thank you microsoft for the concise information
gTZqeiY.jpg

Incompatible PCs actually did receive the Windows 11 Patch Tuesday (guru3d.com)
On the first Patch Tuesday of the new operating system, the update KB5006674 was made available for download. A number of reports have said that even non-compliant PCs have gotten full security upgrades as well as updates for the Microsoft.NET Framework versions 3.5 and 4.8. It is unclear whether this is a mistake on the part of Microsoft, or whether the decision has been made not to block incompatible systems, but rather to remove the assurance that updates would work as expected in future.

You're not missing out on much by staying on 10. I only have it on the TV PC because the AutoHDR is interesting on an OLED TV. The UI has tons of bizarre changes and missing things. It's not Windows 8 stupidity but eh one can only wonder what their goals are.

Last edited:
anyone have any idea how to change audio output from STEREO to surround in windows 11 modern control panel?

on Windows 10 i can simply right click the speaker icon on the task bar / sys tray. But on windows 11 that option is gone, forcing me to use classic control panel and who knows when Microsoft will remove it from classic control panel too.

anyone have any idea how to change audio output from STEREO to surround in windows 11 modern control panel?

on Windows 10 i can simply right click the speaker icon on the task bar / sys tray. But on windows 11 that option is gone, forcing me to use classic control panel and who knows when Microsoft will remove it from classic control panel too.
Yeah I had to go into the old sound control panel and right click/configure on the audio output. I am using NV HDMI audio to a receiver.

On Win11 there is a spatial audio dropdown box in the main audio settings page that has a 5.1 setting but it always resets to stereo. Either it's broken or it's for something else.

Last edited:
How does it compare to the manual mode of win10 ?
I'm pretty sure that Win10's global HDR mode just messes up non-HDR games. I never used it because I didn't like how the desktop looked. Win11 still gives you a strange looking desktop. But with DIrectX 11 games they do some magic voodoo to usually give you an improved picture. But some games aren't quite right and have noticeable clipping.

Last edited:
You're not missing out on much by staying on 10. I only have it on the TV PC because the AutoHDR is interesting on an OLED TV. The UI has tons of bizarre changes and missing things. It's not Windows 8 stupidity but eh one can only wonder what their goals are.

Arent we supposed to get all those direct storage NVME support things in Win11?

Back