Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

New Apparently it's okay to milk money from easily duped backers for years on end, even get applauded for it.
SC fans are an interesting bunch because they're blatantly lied to every year. Release windows for SQ42 and "modules" are mentioned years in advance which CIG just casually burns through without any explanation other than "it's almost done but we're not there yet".

It seems like a mass adopted sunk cost fallacy. People have put so much of their money into this - many of them thinking this would become the next EVE Online and eventually profit out of it - that they refuse to believe it's not what they bought into.

A quick look into imgur's list of 400 lies by CIG (which is now at 450) shows they've been lying about SQ42's release every year since 2015, yet the fans somehow still think "next year is the year", with some even going as far refusing to hold CIG responsible with "when it's done" statements. That's a valid narrative when you're just waiting for a game to come out, not for investors of the game which is what we effectively are.

Imagine an EA exec asking a director at DICE when the next Battlefield is going to be ready for release, and the director lies about it releasing in 2015, then in 2016, etc. up until 2021 when he says it releases "when it's done".

I bet SQ42 isn't even going to show up at Citizencon in October. All they have in the convention's program referring to SQ42 is a presentation about the new render engine, which undoubtedly will be used to justify another 1 or 2 year-long delay for the campaign, and fans will eat it up.

They do try to make quite interesting game after all, don't they?
No, it does not look like they're trying to make a game.

eOhv8nZ.png

5pJHb60.png

QttsDs8.png

SC fans are an interesting bunch because they're blatantly lied to every year. Release windows for SQ42 and "modules" are mentioned years in advance which CIG just casually burns through without any explanation other than "it's almost done but we're not there yet".

It seems like a mass adopted sunk cost fallacy. People have put so much of their money into this - many of them thinking this would become the next EVE Online and eventually profit out of it - that they refuse to believe it's not what they bought into.

A quick look into imgur's list of 400 lies by CIG (which is now at 450) shows they've been lying about SQ42's release every year since 2015, yet the fans somehow still think "next year is the year", with some even going as far refusing to hold CIG responsible with "when it's done" statements. That's a valid narrative when you're just waiting for a game to come out, not for investors of the game which is what we effectively are.

Imagine an EA exec asking a director at DICE when the next Battlefield is going to be ready for release, and the director lies about it releasing in 2015, then in 2016, etc. up until 2021 when he says it releases "when it's done".

I bet SQ42 isn't even going to show up at Citizencon in October. All they have in the convention's program referring to SQ42 is a presentation about the new render engine, which undoubtedly will be used to justify another 1 or 2 year-long delay for the campaign, and fans will eat it up.

No, it does not look like they're trying to make a game.

eOhv8nZ.png

5pJHb60.png

QttsDs8.png
Agreed that progress is disappointingly slow.

I also do understand concerns you have on the project.
Perhaps it's just me and my optimism that we might see something interesting from this, even if it may end up being a flawed work.

I certainly have got my money's worth from this, just the presentations and their stories of technical side and tested methods and failures have been enlighting enough.

If you didn't, I hope you got your money back.

All they have in the convention's program referring to SQ42 is a presentation about the new render engine, which undoubtedly will be used to justify another 1 or 2 year-long delay for the campaign
Well of course the whole game needs to be reworked for realtime raytracing, art assets will need another pass too of course.
There are however 3 colour variants of this concept you can pre-purchase* preliminary insurance to secure your right to later purchase when we've actually done more than this napkin sketch
*Just 36 monthly payments of $499.99, actual digital ship pre-purchase rights estimated cost $15,450, ship may or not ever actually have a game loop developed to actually allow it to be used for its intended purpose** ingame
**intended purpose = being available for pre-purchase insurance purchase***
***Its all there in black and white clear as crystal. You get nothing! You lose. Good day sir!

In many places the performance is fine. In some, however, it is not.

Yes, a lot has happened in these nine years. Overall there are only few games where I am looking forward to enthusiastically after watching videos, reading texts etc. There are also only a few games which I leave enthusiastically after playing them. Sure, there are many good games but few where you could be overwhelmed. Star Citizen often manages to do that for me. I'm already looking forward to CitizenCon which will take place on October 9. CIG will probably release the schedule for this year's CitizenCon this Friday.

My favourite main presentation was the one from 2018 and after that 2016. If the whole CitizenCon is considered the one from 2019 was the best. There were many interesting side presentations. Last years CitizenCon was cancelled. Here's a ten minute summary of all the CitizenCons.

The Adrift video above was made by a person who works with film every day. Since this had to be organised and spaceships can run out of fuel and characters can get hungry, some shots took over an hour.

Dude I have a ryzen 3700 with 32 gigs of ddr 2 ram , gtx 3080 and a nvme drive. I get 15-30 fps in the space stations and if a few ships are on my screen at once i get 15 fps at 1440p.

This game is so far from ready.

I have said it time and time again , going with lumberyard / citizen engine was the dumbest thing they did. They should have kept the strong working relationship with Crytek and worked with them to enhance the engine. Crytek has done an amazing job with the remasters of the 3 Crysis games and performance and fidelity is really nice. Together the two companies could have done something special. instead they went with amazon who i don't think are even using the forked version of crytek from 6 years ago but instead a custom engine on the only released game new world.

Dude I have a ryzen 3700 with 32 gigs of ddr 2 ram , gtx 3080 and a nvme drive. I get 15-30 fps in the space stations and if a few ships are on my screen at once i get 15 fps at 1440p.

I have said it time and time again , going with lumberyard / citizen engine was the dumbest thing they did. They should have kept the strong working relationship with Crytek and worked with them to enhance the engine. Crytek has done an amazing job with the remasters of the 3 Crysis games and performance and fidelity is really nice. Together the two companies could have done something special. instead they went with amazon who i don't think are even using the forked version of crytek from 6 years ago but instead a custom engine on the only released game new world.

The forked off CryEngine ages ago. Lumberyard was only a marketing deal that did not affect the code in any way.

Performance on space stations is mostly ok. Hitting 60 fps is not hard. Landing zones and huge fleet battles are the main problem. Maybe your PC does not work as intended.

Whether they are officially labeled CryEngine or Lumberyard makes little difference. Star Citizen has its own code which is very different from CryEngine or Lumberyard but Lumberyard brings the advantage with the Amazon servers.
Maybe the Unreal Engine would have been better as a basis but first of all at that time there was only the Unreal Engine 3 which was much worse in my opinion. Other than that they also have many Crytek programmers which brings some advantages. A completely new Engine would probably be best but then they would have had much less presentable stuff for many years.

Dont worry I'm sure in 2031 when the game is released you'll have a much more powerful card
I'll be in my 50s :(

The forked off CryEngine ages ago. Lumberyard was only a marketing deal that did not affect the code in any way.
Oh i know they call it the citizen engine or something. It still doesn't change the fact that they missed out on all the improvements that Crytek has done. Imagine a world in which crytek and cig worked together on the engine for the last 5 or 6 years instead of the two pouring resources into two forks so to say.

Performance on space stations is mostly ok. Hitting 60 fps is not hard. Landing zones and huge fleet battles are the main problem. Maybe your PC does not work as intended.

Whether they are officially labeled CryEngine or Lumberyard makes little difference. Star Citizen has its own code which is very different from CryEngine or Lumberyard but Lumberyard brings the advantage with the Amazon servers.
Maybe the Unreal Engine would have been better as a basis but first of all at that time there was only the Unreal Engine 3 which was much worse in my opinion. Other than that they also have many Crytek programmers which brings some advantages. A completely new Engine would probably be best but then they would have had much less presentable stuff for many years.

I mean I get similar frame rates in all my other games so i highly doubt it. I haven't tried it out since the start of the year so maybe there has been some minor performance increases. I mean his set up with the 3600 is only getting 30fps in a lot of areas.

I don't mind having to buy new hardware to play a game but I mean my 3080 is literally the newest generation of cards and my cpu is one generation off. Its not like I'm walking in with a 1700x / vega 56 anymore trying to play the game at max settings at 4k resolution.

So do you really think this game is anywhere close to release with performance like this ?

Oh i know they call it the citizen engine or something. It still doesn't change the fact that they missed out on all the improvements that Crytek has done. Imagine a world in which crytek and cig worked together on the engine for the last 5 or 6 years instead of the two pouring resources into two forks so to say.

Game devs have historically had really big problems working with unstable libraries so it was probably really appealing for CIG to control the development of the engine.

Game devs have historically had really big problems working with unstable libraries so it was probably really appealing for CIG to control the development of the engine.

Partnering with Crytek to develop the engine and using unstable / unproven versions of the engine are two different things.

Partnering with Crytek to develop the engine and using unstable / unproven versions of the engine are two different things.

CIG wants an engine that is perfect for Star Citizen. CryTek wants an engine they can sell to as many users as possible.

CIG have to make (large and invasive) changes to engine to support their game(s). Either they merge them in continuously while CryTek keep developing the engine or CIG port the patch set every time there is a new release. The first way of working would be beneficial if CIG's and CryTek's goal aligned, but that is not the case.

Alpha 4.0 gameplay with new Pyro star system from 1:14:04 to 1:48:08. They show three different ways of getting the object.

1 We're all friends - 1:14:04
2 The enevitable betrayal - 1:26:00
3 Hostile Intent - 1:30:53

From 36:00 to 38:08 there are some of the other moons.

The Origin 400i commercial also shows some of the new environments.

They talked a lot in the seven hour long event but I will report on that at another time.

Last edited:
Back