Movie Reviews 2.0

Hoping I'll like Foundation as I loved the books, and pretty much all things Asimov. 3

Hrrrmm, I did notice in the Foundation trailer that the Finnish actress Laura Birn plays a part. I just learned
she is supposed to be Eto Demerzel which would have to mean she is Daneel Olivaw.
I have a feeling this is going to be pretty heavily reimagined Foundation, which is not too surprising. Still happy to see it finally filmed, but it might be a bittersweet experience.

First Dune book: Really good.
Second Dune book: Still very good
Third Dune book: Wha?
Fourth Dune book: Ah, a bit more interesting, though surely he's accidentally missed out a chunk of the story for some unknown reason?
Fifth Dune book: Still interesting until a bizarrely rushed ending.

Prequels/Sequels: Range from, 'Meh', to utter rubbish which directly contradicts the 'Canon'. I noticed many inconsistencies, despite only having read the other books once or twice.

So I have watched Warcraft (2016) and I was expecting some rubbish movie that I wouldn't want to see to the end. Well I did watch it until the end! It was actually a rather good and entertaining movie with good acting? Shocking. A very good adaptation of the game.
Yeah it was a surprisingly good movie overall.

Hrrrmm, I did notice in the Foundation trailer that the Finnish actress Laura Birn plays a part. I just learned
she is supposed to be Eto Demerzel which would have to mean she is Daneel Olivaw.
I have a feeling this is going to be pretty heavily reimagined Foundation, which is not too surprising. Still happy to see it finally filmed, but it might be a bittersweet experience.

I agree, I watched the trailer and I felt happy they created something under the Foundation name but it felt wrong, filled with unnecessary drama. I'm actually considering not watching it, I think it might annoy me.

Free Guy. Well if I wasn't completely surprised at just how good this movie was. One of the best feel good movies I've seen in quite awhile. It's a popcorn movie but instead with a solid script, excellent pacing, just the right amount of gamer culture references, and a great final act that has you cheering for the good guy. Highly recommended!

Free Guy. Well if I wasn't completely surprised at just how good this movie was. One of the best feel good movies I've seen in quite awhile. It's a popcorn movie but instead with a solid script, excellent pacing, just the right amount of gamer culture references, and a great final act that has you cheering for the good guy. Highly recommended!
Yeah, really enjoyed it. Was a lot of fun to watch.

Oh boy!

FAJoAgIVgAEGAoV

FAJoBeyVEAoeHyd

FAJrhBNXMAAjl7T

Last edited:
First Dune book: Really good.
Second Dune book: Still very good
Third Dune book: Wha?
Fourth Dune book: Ah, a bit more interesting, though surely he's accidentally missed out a chunk of the story for some unknown reason?
Fifth Dune book: Still interesting until a bizarrely rushed ending.

Prequels/Sequels: Range from, 'Meh', to utter rubbish which directly contradicts the 'Canon'. I noticed many inconsistencies, despite only having read the other books once or twice.

There was one more Dune book by Herbert, unless you're lumping Dune Messiah in with Dune. Though I guess Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune could also be considered a duology, or just one long novel.

Off topic, but I hope Piter De Vries and Count Fenrig get portrayed as the stone cold killers, and masters of the blade, that they were in Dune. Especially Fenrig, as he was was basically Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday, but with a greatly extended life due to the spice. Lol, the dude even had a drawl! Piter was able to travel to Arrakis, and blend in with the natives due to his totally blue in blue eyes that resulted from his massive melange consumption, and presumably could be seen as a person who could take care of himself.

For some reason I seem to have missed out the Children of Dune book from my list. Not sure why. That was pretty good as well. I'm certainly aware that Dune and Dune Messiah were different books (and DM irritated me a bit at times as well). The series only got really peculiar/whacky in God Emperor of Dune and the two later books were basically set in a completely different story universe with just the Bene Gesserits remaining much the same as in the earlier books.

the two later books were basically set in a completely different story universe with just the Bene Gesserits remaining much the same as in the earlier books.

There would have been third book in that era, except for Herbert being inconvenienced by death.

I'm not reading any of the Kevin J Anderson / Brian Herbert Dune books. They do not exist! :D

Children of Men (2006) is an absolute blast to watch. The fact that there are so many scenes that develop in the background just as actively as it does in the foreground (without them being tiresome or annoying) is wildly entertaining. These background scenes also contain a lot of artistic relevance and many war photo references. Of course, all of them being related to social and political struggles caused by some fatidic event. In one of the scenes where the main character needs to visit his brother to get an illegal passage, "La Guernica" by Picasso appears in their dining hall. This painting famously depicts a Guernica landscape after the bombing. The chaos from this painting is prophetic for later war scenes.
There are also some biblical references, but I won't spoil that for you just in case you want to see it. :D

There would have been third book in that era, except for Herbert being inconvenienced by death.

I'm not reading any of the Kevin J Anderson / Brian Herbert Dune books. They do not exist! :D

Oddly enough, I actually read a number of the 'prequel' books before I'd read past Dune Messiah. They weren't very good. I noticed quite a few occasions where the storyline/behaviour of some of the protagonists contradicted the events of Dune and that was after just reading Dune a couple of times over the years. You'd think the son would have a bit more of a grip of the basics than that.

So I have watched Warcraft (2016) and I was expecting some rubbish movie that I wouldn't want to see to the end. Well I did watch it until the end! It was actually a rather good and entertaining movie with good acting? Shocking. A very good adaptation of the game.
It was fairly close somewhat to the events of the original Warcraft.

Back