Thinking of upgrading my monitor in a reasonable way.

Glad to hear something good has come from that post
Thank you, I've often wondered why some monitors have drivers but so many use the PnP one. I figure monitor makers should supply drivers specific for their products, but I'm still impressed with my Sceptre for the value/performance/support. :)

In a general sense, the driver for your monitor is somewhat like the driver for your keyboard and mouse. Unless there's something very esoteric about it, the HID components "just work." That siad, usually the driver for the monitor isn't a driver at all, instead it's a color profile. I think the modern Dell monitors can do a thing where they have some KVM-like capabilities which requires a bit of extra software to function over DDI (ie it isn't managed by a USB cable.)

I think the reason for generic driver is it mostly shouldn't really be needed, comms should be with standard API.

I do try to find drivers, I have the drivers for the LG & immediately installed them in initial setup but just actually looking at them:
Monitor released 2019 (is an update to older model)
download file dated 9th Jan 2021 on the website
all files in the zip dated 14 Nov 2017
text in the .inf file starts with
Code:
; Revision 1.0   August-21-2015
:LOL:

It appears to just add a couple of registry keys saying the preferred resolution/refresh rate.

Convincing windows to use the colour profile/actually the right one is a bit more tricky :runaway:

I've since put a custom Ambilight kit on my LG anyway
Ive just switched from using the gigabyte app to control my rgb to SIGNALRGB https://www.whirlwindfx.com/pages/signalrgb
there is a scheme to sync my case/motherboard rgb to react to audio in game or music its not colour aware so it wont match the colour of the screen
the pro version has game integrations not sure what they do as I only have the free version

edit: A game integration

One of the free effect schemes

ps: also works with Philips Hue

Last edited:
I've actually been finding I'm using the 3840*1620 mode quite a bit, my 5600XT isn't quite up to full 4K in WoWP at least once the memory leak (or similar performance sapping issue it has) kicks in after a few battles.

Overall I've been very happy with the combo of screen area & good looking pixels I've got for relatively low $$$ :yes:

Last edited:
OK here's an oddity: With 3840*1620 set in Windows Display Settings the AMD overlay is managing to appear outside the set resolution ie at the top of the physical screen :neutral:

I think the reason for generic driver is it mostly shouldn't really be needed, comms should be with standard API.

I do try to find drivers, I have the drivers for the LG & immediately installed them in initial setup but just actually looking at them:
Monitor released 2019 (is an update to older model)
download file dated 9th Jan 2021 on the website
all files in the zip dated 14 Nov 2017
text in the .inf file starts with
Code:
; Revision 1.0   August-21-2015
:LOL:

It appears to just add a couple of registry keys saying the preferred resolution/refresh rate.

Convincing windows to use the colour profile/actually the right one is a bit more tricky :runaway:

Maybe CRU can help?

Yes that did it & makes sense now I think about it:
With GPU scaling on it must be pushing full res out to the monitor regardless of the OS/Game resolution, driver just puts blanks as needed to fit

So I bought 2 LG 32GN600's. 1440p@165hz, and 32 inches with HDR10. The HDR... It's not great. And I think the 2 of them are too big for my desk. I should have measured first. Also.... Where the bezel and the screen meet it has this optical effect like the screen is being rear projected and there is a shadow. But the bezel is flush with the screen. It sort of gives me a headache if I look at that. My only real gripe is that these are VA panels, and everyone tells me that black blurring isn't an issue really with modern VA panels, but I still see it. If I disable Freesync I can enable blur reduction, but then I loose freesync. Not sure if I love them yet, but I got them for a great price, so I'm going to keep them.

So I bought 2 LG 32GN600's. 1440p@165hz, and 32 inches with HDR10. The HDR... It's not great. And I think the 2 of them are too big for my desk. I should have measured first. Also.... Where the bezel and the screen meet it has this optical effect like the screen is being rear projected and there is a shadow. But the bezel is flush with the screen. It sort of gives me a headache if I look at that. My only real gripe is that these are VA panels, and everyone tells me that black blurring isn't an issue really with modern VA panels, but I still see it. If I disable Freesync I can enable blur reduction, but then I loose freesync. Not sure if I love them yet, but I got them for a great price, so I'm going to keep them.

according to rtings, it does have black smmearing https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gn600-b

btw the thing you saw on the edge / near bezel. Is it the usual weird "fake curved display" look that some LG monitors have on its left/right edge? The thing itself is flat. but the displayed picture looks curved

btw the thing you saw on the edge / near bezel. Is it the usual weird "fake curved display" look that some LG monitors have on its left/right edge? The thing itself is flat. but the displayed picture looks curved
No. If you look at the edge straight on, the black bezel and the screen appear to be normal. The front of the monitor is completely flat except for a 1" chin at the bottom, and the outside has like a 2mm outer housing, and then there is a black border, maybe 6-10mm on the top, left and right that isn't raised or part of the housing. It's like a cell phone screen where it's flat, but there's a bit of not screen between the screen and the edge. So if you line your vision up with that edge, it looks exactly like you would expect. Screen with a sharp black edge. but if you look at it at an angle, then there is a shadow on the actual screen from the bezel, making the screen appear recessed. It happens on all 4 sides even though the plastic housing for the chin is flush with the screen. It probably would be unnoticeable except that the monitor is big enough that it's impossible to be lined up at the right and left sides at the same time. Looking at the center of the screen, if I pan right or left I can see it on both sides.

I guess it could be described as the screen looking curved, but it would be curved away from me instead of toward and only at the edge.

No. If you look at the edge straight on, the black bezel and the screen appear to be normal. The front of the monitor is completely flat except for a 1" chin at the bottom, and the outside has like a 2mm outer housing, and then there is a black border, maybe 6-10mm on the top, left and right that isn't raised or part of the housing. It's like a cell phone screen where it's flat, but there's a bit of not screen between the screen and the edge. So if you line your vision up with that edge, it looks exactly like you would expect. Screen with a sharp black edge. but if you look at it at an angle, then there is a shadow on the actual screen from the bezel, making the screen appear recessed. It happens on all 4 sides even though the plastic housing for the chin is flush with the screen. It probably would be unnoticeable except that the monitor is big enough that it's impossible to be lined up at the right and left sides at the same time. Looking at the center of the screen, if I pan right or left I can see it on both sides.

I guess it could be described as the screen looking curved, but it would be curved away from me instead of toward and only at the edge.

yeah that's what i meant. curved away from you, like Samsung phones.

interesting that on VA monitor, lg made it "curved" on all 4 sides. On their IPS monitor (and TV), its only on the left/right sides.

yeah that's what i meant. curved away from you, like Samsung phones.

interesting that on VA monitor, lg made it "curved" on all 4 sides. On their IPS monitor (and TV), its only on the left/right sides.
I don't know if it's really curved, because it appears to be angle dependent and more of an optical illusion. Sort of like POM, it only shows up at some angles.

I don't know if it's really curved, because it appears to be angle dependent and more of an optical illusion. Sort of like POM, it only shows up at some angles.

I think its not really curved too. Hence I wrote "fake curved display"

It gets super easy to notice when I placed windows Taskbar on the left / right side. As the thin white line that denotes active apps looks curved away.

Back