Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

Based on apples share price the market concluded apple lost

Tim Sweeney's tweets suggests he thinks Epic lost too.

As always, the lawyers won. I don't understand the people who are supporting either company, both are fairly shitty and obviously greedy. :yep2:

Oh yes of course the lawyers won. I'm not a supporter of Epic as they make the shitty Unreal engine

Let’s predict.

Two years from now, say the end of 2023, will the Services division revenues be greater, lesser or about the same as currently? That’s barring any other major legal or regulatory changes.

I don’t know if they specifically break out App Store revenues but certainly they do break out services.

Will also be interesting to see how many users use external payments instead of IAP, though Apple is probably unlikely to release this data? Or I guess only the developers will know what percentage of their IAP revenues came through external links.

My guess is higher Services Revenues in 2 years. Now it may not be as high as if this judgement didn’t come along. Though given a choice, unless the developer is offering a big enough discount, most iOS users won’t want to register new accounts and give over their billing info to several developers for each app subscription or IAP they may be interested in.

It will be higher because the install base grows but there will be people moving to third party payment systems. Esp if they offer discounts or do a % of the payment as cash back or something.

For the in-app payment thing, one can say Apple lost, but Apple "won" against Epic Games (though that's probably not that important, but it could be much worse, as the judge might decide that Apple must allow 3rd party app stores).
I think there will be bigger impact on how both Google and Apple handles "free" apps. If Apple can't force "free" apps to use their own payment processors (thus Apple can't take the 30% cut), will Apple keep "free" apps free? After all, Apple has to pay for the servers and bandwidth for those free apps. Will Apple start asking for "download fees" for free apps with more than, say, 1 million downloads? There could be serious implications for small developers.

Will it affect google ? On my phone not only is there google play store but also the galaxy store to download games and apps along with me being able to side load. On apple there is none of that. Wouldn't google be able to say if they want to use a third party payment processor they can just download a diffrent store we aren't stoping anyone ?

As always, the lawyers won. I don't understand the people who are supporting either company, both are fairly shitty and obviously greedy. :yep2:
To be honest, the only thing that I find to be truly menacing on Epic's side is the fact that they're like 40% owned by Tencent.

Tim Sweeney's tweets suggests he thinks Epic lost too.

Well I'm an APPL shareholder, as are lots of people, even if they don't directly own the stock, a lot of mutual funds do.

I don't root for Apple in this case but I really doubt the things Epic wants would make for a better user experience. For instance, why would I want to register my billing info with several payment processors or developers in addition to Apple?

With Apple, I chose to buy iOS device so they got my billing info -- well I don't store my credit card on my Apple account, I use gift cards to top up my account balance. But I don't want to give up my billing info to other parties if I can avoid it.

Would I use alternate app stores or side load if possible? Probably not unless there was something really good that wasn't available on the App Store. If I wanted access to alternative apps I would buy an Android device.

Nobody is twisting people's arms to buy iPhones, which are among the most expensive devices. That is why they have minority market share globally, because most people don't want to pay premium prices. So I don't see anything especially shitty about Apple. They put out pricey products and people can buy them or not.

You're not required to pay for iCloud either in order to use the devices. I pay .99 cents a month, have no interest in Apple Music or all the other Apple subscriptions which are available. I may subscribe to Apple + at some point to check out some of their shows but that's about it.

I pay for Amazon Prime and Hulu currently. But I didn't subscribe to those services through iOS apps. I checked out Fortnite on my Nintendo Switch, not my kind of game but in any event I would never purchase micro transactions so I would never give my billing info to Epic or any other game developer.

I no longer subscribe to PSN but when I did, I used PSN gift cards, not give them my credit cards.

I don't root for Apple in this case but I really doubt the things Epic wants would make for a better user experience. For instance, why would I want to register my billing info with several payment processors or developers in addition to Apple?

Then don't. The case was pressing for options in addition to Apple's payment processing, not to replace it.

Would I use alternate app stores or side load if possible? Probably not unless there was something really good that wasn't available on the App Store. If I wanted access to alternative apps I would buy an Android device.

Then don't. Because you don't want to, does not mean others do not. I have many apps where I would just like to be able to purchase content for the app in the app but that would mean the price is 30% higher because of Apple's payment policies. I have a lot of Apple gear - iPhone, iPads (plural), several Macs, two HomePod minis and Airbags and I like their tech but I'm not blind to their policies being incredibly self-serving to the detriment of content creators.

Then don't. Because you don't want to, does not mean others do not. I have many apps where I would just like to be able to purchase content for the app in the app but that would mean the price is 30% higher because of Apple's payment policies. I have a lot of Apple gear - iPhone, iPads (plural), several Macs, two HomePod minis and Airbags and I like their tech but I'm not blind to their policies being incredibly self-serving to the detriment of content creators.

Well let's see if there's this great sale in IAPs for registering through some external method.

I suspect they may offer some incentives but they'd try to keep the higher margins for themselves.

Well let's see if there's this great sale in IAPs for registering through some external method.
What "great sale"? If a bunch of apps offer alternatives to IAPs other than Apple, and are massively successful, where will these be reported? Nowhere. You'll never know.

What "great sale"? If a bunch of apps offer alternatives to IAPs other than Apple, and are massively successful, where will these be reported? Nowhere. You'll never know.

I don't mean great sales necessarily. I mean a great sale. So presumably apps will offer a discount for you to go to some website and create an account with your billing info.

People might need incentives, such as lower prices on IAPs than they were when you purchased through the App Store.

A declining bottom line at apple.

That's what I mean by predictions. Will Services division revenues be higher or lower a couple of years from now? If developers are successful in getting users to buy IAPs through outside accounts, where they might offer discounts or bonuses, you would see a lot of App Store revenues, which aren't broken out on their own but are part of the Services division revenues, you'd expect lower Services division revenues or at least much slower growth than they've been seeing.

Depends if you believe the growth trend of the app store was sustainable or not. It's not going to be easy to tell as it's going to take time for these other payment methods to gain traction if that is going to happen. Perhaps Apple will start offering their own discounts to fend off the creation of alternatives and further muddy the issue.

People might need incentives, such as lower prices on IAPs than they were when you purchased through the App Store.
This is where it started, with Epic wanting sell stuff minus Apple's 30% cut. On occasional, minor transactions you may see little change because there will be that initial friction if you need to setup a different payment and/or create an account elsewhere that you don't already have.

If you spent a lot, 30% savings could add up fast.

Depends if you believe the growth trend of the app store was sustainable or not. It's not going to be easy to tell as it's going to take time for these other payment methods to gain traction if that is going to happen. Perhaps Apple will start offering their own discounts to fend off the creation of alternatives and further muddy the issue.

Yup, Apple's AppStore revenue overtime is a messy inconsistent string of numbers - in contrast to hardware sales numbers where the rises and falls are more explainable. It could be very difficult to look at future earnings reports and discern if there has been any meaningful impact to AppStore IAP revenue.

Were Epic's Fortnite microtransactions 30% cheaper on their own store than on iOS? If they were the same price, wouldn't Epic just want to keep 30% extra profit instead of lowering the price? These companies aren't the champions of good.

Epic was found in breach and then Epic appealed the ruling.

So Apple doesn't want to reinstate Epic until the litigation process is complete.

What's the problem, Epic wasn't prepared to be thrown out when they broke the terms of the contract they signed or sued Apple?

Epic wasn't prepared to be thrown out when they broke the terms of the contract they signed or sued Apple?

Yeah, that's a bit of "The Gall of them [Epic]". Though at this point I half imagine this is done more for the continual news coverage than them being surprised at the outcome.

Back