God of War: Ragnarok [PS4, PS5]

I'm not blown away honestly. Looks too much like the 2017 version. This whole cross platform releases are really limiting the power of the PS5 and I'm saddened by this. The only way I would consider this game is if its lock at 60fps. I guess we will have to wait for the Dead Space reboot for a true next gen experience(an actual generational leap). I blame this on COVID and the chip shortages, nothing against the game industry. I really hope we can recover from this sooner than later.

How is covid impacting the choice of crossgen vs current gen only ?

I mean shortage or not, the game is planned for 2022. Even if it was 2021, th PS5 sold enough already. Not a long time ago hardware wereso differents that is was not an viable option to release on multiple générations. Now it's a possible business choice. Kind of suck imo...

I think the main problem of what they shown is that it was only snippets from the real game. For Horizon they had carefully controlled what they shown in a long scene (like they did for the first game, and that scene wasn't in the final game). But I am expecting GoW2 to be one of the most impressive PS5 game, and that it will fight directly against Horizon 2 for the better looking game crown.

Also I suspect they didn't want to spoil us the most impressive ennemies (because the lack of big bosses was one rare complaint in the first).

Personally I dont think its that good, though oddly the CGI-like scenes looked worse than the gameplay parts. But I've never thought GOW looked that great (except GOW3)

The art direction in the new god of war just hasn’t been great imho.

Personally I dont think its that good, though oddly the CGI-like scenes looked worse than the gameplay parts. But I've never thought GOW looked that great (except GOW3)
I think GoW 3's amazing appeal is the framerate and all the crazy things going on at the same time.
The set pieces were over the top. There was a lot of movement in the environment. Almost everywhere there was something for your eye to pick on. There was a lot of variety. It was essentially a roller coaster ride. Times where the game would collect steam, take you to an adrenaline rush, give you some time to relax and then repeat in a totally different setting.
GoW 4's environments were more static and not many points of interest in them. It was a flatter game.

New How is covid impacting the choice of crossgen vs current gen only ?

I believe Jim Ryan did say the decision to launch Ragnarok on the PS4 came in rather late, and he hinted that GoW Ragnarok is coming to the PS4 because Sony haven't been able to sell the amount of PS5 consoles that match the demand for them. That's due to the inability to ramp up production, which is due to the global semiconductor shortage which in turn is indeed due to covid.

Had Sony been able to produce and distribute say 30 million PS5 consoles up until the end of 2021 then maybe they would have focused on a PS5 exclusive version. Throughout 2020 they figured out they wouldn't be ramping up PS5 production anytime soon, so they had to reduce some IQ, scale and/or gameplay elements to fit the game into the 1.8 TFLOPs console.

I believe Jim Ryan did say the decision to launch Ragnarok on the PS4 came in rather late, and he hinted that GoW Ragnarok is coming to the PS4 because Sony haven't been able to sell the amount of PS5 consoles that match the demand for them. That's due to the inability to ramp up production, which is due to the global semiconductor shortage which in turn is indeed due to covid.

Had Sony been able to produce and distribute say 30 million PS5 consoles up until the end of 2021 then maybe they would have focused on a PS5 exclusive version. Throughout 2020 they figured out they wouldn't be ramping up PS5 production anytime soon, so they had to reduce some IQ, scale and/or gameplay elements to fit the game into the 1.8 TFLOPs console.

They will only launch Ps5 exclusive games in 2023 and 31 march 2023 they forecast to reach 45.4 millions PS5 at least basically they want to have around 50 millions PS5 to launch exclusivity. It means all core gamer will have a PS5, there are around 47 millions PS plus subscribers.

Jim Ryan and SIE want money, price of games is up by 10 dollars/10 euros, now we have PS4 games remaster with only a 60 fps improvement and they launch three to four year after launch PC port. And PS5 sales are better liaunch aligned than PS4.

Imo they are greedy but it works.

Last edited:

Thx for the info.

I believe it's an excuse for Sony to make more money short term instead of having a better game. We had big exclusives games in the past when the "new" parc was not that great yet. They know they will recup over time imho. Right now it seems I paid for a PS5 only for having same PS4 game but at 60 fps, some of them... Not a great way to please consumers imo. But I'm nobody and they're making millions, so i guess they're on to something...

I watched the 4K video yesterday and sure, it’s very much based on the PS4 game but the intricate detail is quite a bit higher than before. It’s basically GOW on very good steroids and at least we can count on this being a solid 60fps.
Most importantly we get to see the end of the story in this game, without having to wait for the next one which wouldn’t be out in 5 years minimum! I call that a huge win.

I watched the 4K video yesterday and sure, it’s very much based on the PS4 game but the intricate detail is quite a bit higher than before. It’s basically GOW on very good steroids and at least we can count on this being a solid 60fps.
Most importantly we get to see the end of the story in this game, without having to wait for the next one which wouldn’t be out in 5 years minimum! I call that a huge win.

We'll probably see an end, but will it be the end? Once the 2016 game came to an end in such an obvious cliff hanger, I just figured this GoW arc would be a trilogy like the first arc.

Regards,
SB

I just hope the story isn't:
- Kratos dies a terrible death to subvert our expectations.

Dear videogame writers, please stop the sUbVerT oUr eXpEcTaTiOns trope. It's old, tired and so predictable by now...

We'll probably see an end, but will it be the end? Once the 2016 game came to an end in such an obvious cliff hanger, I just figured this GoW arc would be a trilogy like the first arc.

Regards,
SB

From what I gathered of the interviews, they intend to conclude the Nordic arch with the second one. If they resurrect the series, again some day, it will be in yet another mythology (and maybe yet again with a new gameplay style? that'd be interesting)

Yeah, this is the end of the Nordic arch and the next will be Egyptian/Irish/Japanese arch since all three were included in the last GoW so it could be any of them.

Since some streamers are either playing GOW (2016) for the first time or replaying it to prepare for the new game I've been watching some people play it again.

Seeing it again and comparing to what was shown in the GOW: Ragnarok trailer, the new GOW looks massively better to me. Some scenes are just significantly more dense with far more detail in the new game compared to GOW (2016). And there's so many little things that make the whole look better. Texture quality, materials quality, fur and hair quality, etc.

The sheer density increase in environmental detail is really evident when they are rowing through the village with the water wheel. Hell, the sheer amount of detail on Kratos himself is a notch up.

The lighting and effects are also a significant step forward, IMO.

Is it what one might expect from past gen to gen upgrades? Maybe not. But then other than the CPU and SSD, this was a pretty modest gen to gen upgrade in hardware. And considering that GOW (2016) didn't rely on streaming to get assets into memory during gameplay, the I/O is going to have a smaller impact on increases in visual quality compared to say Spiderman which heavily relied on streaming in data. In other words, the HDD in the PS4 didn't limit the graphics quality of GOW (2016) like it did with Spiderman.

I look at this and I kind of wonder if people don't think it looks much better purely because they've said there was a PS4 version. IMO, for people that think cross gen impacts graphics in any significant way they would have been disappointed by this even if the graphics were 10x better.

Regards,
SB

And considering that GOW (2016) didn't rely on streaming to get assets into memory during gameplay, the I/O is going to have a smaller impact on increases in visual quality compared to say Spiderman
GOW 2018 had a no-cut camera or "loading screens (portals had loading though)", and making that happen on HDD was PIA according to developers. I'm certain that if they targeted PS5 only the jump in set pieces and density will be much higher. One issue GOW 2018 also had was level design, where they had to insert elements to slow you down to load levels like tedious climbing, which was obvious and annoying.

people have seen a few minutes of a 30+h game, they've seen nothing.
extras-patrick-stewart.gif

Seeing it again and comparing to what was shown in the GOW: Ragnarok trailer, the new GOW looks massively better to me. Some scenes are just significantly more dense with far more detail in the new game compared to GOW (2016).

I think most of the GoW Ragnorak footage was captured on PS5, where the engine will definitely have been tuned to scale up to PS5's hardware capabilities, whereas GoW 2018 did not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back