Gran Turismo 7 [PS4, PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
The environments are very far from looking realistic. There is a ton of room to improve there. I suspect this is mostly down to having to run on PS4.
yeah gt sport has great graphic for a 2017 ps4 60 fps title, but same graphics just in 4k in 2022 as ps5 title is simply disappointing (Im sure it was crossgen from the beginning of creating this game)

Shame they didn't go with raytracing in races (at a lower resolution) but maybe something that can be worked around with other tricks as you're probably not going to notice the tricks during a race. Dynamic time of day/weather/clouds are a bigger deal for me personally.

dynamic weather on selected tracks tough sounds quite advanced:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-16-the-big-gran-turismo-7-interview

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1351594.html
rt only on replays, stage demo and garage

Yeah, the dynamic time, weather, and procedural cloud sim at 60fps is impressive on base ps4. The cloud formations and complex variations look quite realistic too. Doesn't look as intensive as Flight Sim clouds but is up there with RDR2 quality imo. Add to that the dynamic time and dynamic weather and I'd easily prefer having these features in higher quality over RT reflections. The actual track assets are obviously made with ps4 limitations but expected for cross-gen with a 60fps base framerate.

i1UPXJurQoVuAuB.jpg

i1tLqyN4h3xXfO.jpg

i1AQKsTuLmJPESB.jpg

i1M2uFi3BvufD8c.jpg

i1CT2X5dWoPlscE.jpg

Reactions: snc
mates its always about the quality of the pixels. you can see it yourself

A/ take a game from 20 years ago, play it at 4k or 8k or a million k
B/ take a game from today play it at 1/10 the resolution

what looks better?

reddead.jpg

Alternatively, take a game released in the past year. Do you prefer:
  • a lower resolution with all IQ and effects cranked up.
  • a variable resolution that can at times be higher than the above choice, but never higher than the below choice that may or may not reduce some settings.
  • a constant higher resolution with some or all IQ and effects reduced.
Both of those options at 30, 60, 100+ framerates? Lower framerate can help you achieve higher resolutions, but at the cost of lower graphical fidelity in motion.

I will always choose higher resolution at higher framerates (up to the limit of my display: currently 60 Hz, but in the future 120 Hz) while reducing IQ and effects settings to achieve the desired resolution and framerate. I will never compromise framerate, but if it's done well enough, a variable resolution can be an acceptable tradeoff for higher graphical settings.

So, at least for me the answer to whether it's always about the quality of the pixels is a big fat qualified no. It's a qualified no because there are some pixel quality settings I will never reduce if possible while there are other pixel settings I will almost always reduce and some pixel settings I will only reduce if I have to.

That said, there are also people where pixel quality matters more than anything else. And this is why it's so important that games offer consumers a choice in how they want their game rendered. This is something that PC gamers take for granted but exists on consoles in only a rudimentary form. But at least it exists on consoles now versus the situation consoles were in over a decade ago when there were almost no options for console gamers to choose how they wanted to experience their game.

Regards,
SB

I have to say this really drives home the differences between Sony and Microsoft and how they communicate with us. MS was up front about cross gen games and were up front about Ray tracing in Forza while Sony well you can see the results here.

I knew something wasn't right when they claimed they only just recently decided to back port to the ps4.

Ummm, it's likely perfectly true that they only recently decided to back port to the PS4. It's entirely possible that this was originally meant to be a PS5 exclusive title. Which means that their hardware target for the game was the PS5. However, when someone at Polyphony saw how easy it was to make the game run on PS4 by just reducing or removing some rendering effects, it becomes a case of, "Why not offer a PS4 version?"

Basically a prime example of the existence of a PS4 version having absolutely no impact on the visuals of a game targeting the PS5.

Or you can just assume that Sony and Polyphony Digital are liars. :p While I have no idea about Sony, I just do not believe that Polyphony Digital are lying about this considering they have always been one of the better studios at maximizing what they can get out of the latest PS platform ... even if they are taking increasingly large amounts of time in order to do so. :)

IMO, this was always going to be a PS5 exclusive title and the game was always targeted at the PS5 hardware. Thus the only reason a PS4 version will exist is because it's so easy to back port a title to PS4 from PS5. Alternatively, there's a PC version being developed simultaneously, so why not use the lessons learned from PC development (scalability) to easily back port the PS5 version to the PS4. ;)

Alternative alternatively, Nixxes was tasked with porting it to PS4 and PD has nothing to do with the back port. This might be the most credible take on things. And this would again mean that a PS4 version of a title has absolutely ZERO effect on a game being 100% optimized for the PS5.

Regards,
SB

Ummm, it's likely perfectly true that they only recently decided to back port to the PS4. It's entirely possible that this was originally meant to be a PS5 exclusive title. Which means that their hardware target for the game was the PS5. However, when someone at Polyphony saw how easy it was to make the game run on PS4 by just reducing or removing some rendering effects, it becomes a case of, "Why not offer a PS4 version?"

Basically a prime example of the existence of a PS4 version having absolutely no impact on the visuals of a game targeting the PS5.

Or you can just assume that Sony and Polyphony Digital are liars. :p While I have no idea about Sony, I just do not believe that Polyphony Digital are lying about this considering they have always been one of the better studios at maximizing what they can get out of the latest PS platform ... even if they are taking increasingly large amounts of time in order to do so. :)

IMO, this was always going to be a PS5 exclusive title and the game was always targeted at the PS5 hardware. Thus the only reason a PS4 version will exist is because it's so easy to back port a title to PS4 from PS5. Alternatively, there's a PC version being developed simultaneously, so why not use the lessons learned from PC development (scalability) to easily back port the PS5 version to the PS4. ;)

Alternative alternatively, Nixxes was tasked with porting it to PS4 and PD has nothing to do with the back port. This might be the most credible take on things. And this would again mean that a PS4 version of a title has absolutely ZERO effect on a game being 100% optimized for the PS5.

Regards,
SB
info that gt7 was supposed be ps5 title but they drop the idea few months ago is just a rumour imo not true and gt7 was crossgen from the beggining, from interview “We found that we were able to make a PS4 version and a PS5 version without dropping any quality, so that’s why we decided to do both at the same time.” in the end its just typical crossgen with gt sport graphics boosted with res on ps5

Regards,
SB

What is recently to you ? what is recently to them. Gran Turismo Sport released in Oct of 2017. Gran Turismo 7 is scheduled for 2022. To the developer 2019 could be recently after all the game would have been in development for 3 years at that point

Sport and 6 use the same engine which was developed for the ps3. No doubt in my mind that 7 is using the same engine and everything would have worked from day one on the ps4.

Totally agree here. While trying to win a race on anything but the first few easy tournaments, the last thing you’ll notice or want to analyse is whether a reflection is RT or not.?

I finally got around to playing Miles Morales last weekend and for half of the damn game I was in Performance mode, not Performance RT! FFS.

Polyphony, please make the license tests in GT7 so that if you have completed them in GT Sport, you can skip them and get the medals that you earned in GT Sport.
I've already earned my driver's license so many times...

Polyphony, please make the license tests in GT7 so that if you have completed them in GT Sport, you can skip them and get the medals that you earned in GT Sport.
I've already earned my driver's license so many times...
Uh please not, going by this logic they could already give all your cars from gr sport and generaly left nothing to do in the campaign

I agree 99% of the time! On all other games I can think of, I'd prefer that option. Hello, I'm one of the anti-native-4K guys on here :)
However my humble opinion is that in a game such as GT, in this type of instance I know that due to the speed of the game I would not be able to see - or care about - RT reflections, and therefore I'd rather take a sharper look.
Totally agree here. While trying to win a race on anything but the first few easy tournaments, the last thing you’ll notice or want to analyse is whether a reflection is RT or not. Replays? That makes sense. And this is one case where I feel that higher resolution will actually help while playing, as it cleans up and better defines things that are farther away, giving you more time to prepare. There! I said what I said!

I'm with @London Geezer here. I don't watch the trees, sunshine or even the cars ahead. In replays though it's different and I do watch the cars.

Dynamic time of day/weather/clouds are a bigger deal for me personally.

This

Also. Not bragging but yeah maybe a bit bragging but I just got back from Silverstone where I had full access to the pit lanes and everything else with Ferrari. I’d say that reflections in most games, including GT in some instances, are quite hyper real and they don’t reflect (pun intended) what you’d see in real life. You just don’t see such perfect, shiny reflections apart from very specific lighting situations.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...-items-and-25th-anniversary-edition-detailed/
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-25th-anniversary-edition-and-pre-order-details-revealed/
  • Gran Turismo 7 (Launch Edition)
    • PS4 Version (Disc and Digital)
      • Price: $59.99 USD
    • PS5 Version (Disc)
      • Price: $69.99 USD
      • Can only be played on the PS5 with a disc drive
    • PS5 Version (Digital)
      • Price: $69.99 USD
      • Can be played on both PS4 and PS5
  • Gran Turismo 7 (25th Anniversary Edition)
    • SteelBook Edition
      • PS5 disc, PS4 digital edition included
      • 1,000,000 in-game credits
      • Toyota GR Yaris with country-specific livery
      • 30 PSN avatars
      • “The Music of Gran Turismo” official soundtrack
    • “Digital Deluxe” Edition
      • PS5 and PS4 digital edition included
      • 1,500,000 in-game credits
      • Toyota GR Yaris with country-specific livery
      • 30 PSN avatars
      • “The Music of Gran Turismo” official soundtrack

Last edited:
So if you own GT7 (Disc or Digital) for PS4 you can not play that on PS5?

you can play and also upgrade to ps5 version for 10$

That makes more sense, but as they have it written they are saying you can not play the PS4 version on PS5. It's probably an error is translation or not knowing what "only" means. They need to revise the phrase "can only be played on the PS4". Perhaps "can only be played using PS4 settings".

That makes more sense, but as they have it written they are saying you can not play the PS4 version on PS5. It's probably an error is translation or not knowing what "only" means. They need to revise the phrase "can only be played on the PS4". Perhaps "can only be played using PS4 settings".

That is GTPlanet's summary wording, not officially by Sony or Polyphony. The PS4 version works via backward compatibility. Pretty sure GTplanet meant to make a summary of the info below but then mixed up content in each version with compatibility.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_4926414.html
If you buy the PS4 version disc or digital, it only contains the PS4 version
If you buy the PS5 version disc, it only contains the PS5 version
If you buy the PS5 version digital, it contains both the PS5 version and PS4 version for you to download

"The PS5 digital version of the game will also include the PS4 version."

Product Format Disc / Digital
Price PS5: 69.99 GBP / €79.99
PS4: 59.99 GBP / €69.99
Content
PS4 Disc / Digital download: PS4 version only
PS5 Disc: PS5 version only
PS5 Digital download: Both PS5 and PS4 versions"​

If they banned BC PS4 on PS5 and forced an upgrade. The level of burn down would intense.

Reactions: snc
Back