Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

If you’re not familiar with “KOTOR” — as you’ll see fans lovingly refer to it — then you’re in for a treat. The original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was a truly groundbreaking achievement: an award-winning RPG of incredible scope, immersion, and ambition with an epic narrative to match. A diverse cast of characters to meet, multiple planets to discover, challenging battles to fight, and cinematic storytelling that responds to the choices you make — it’s no wonder that to this day KOTOR remains one of the most celebrated video games ever made.

Read more: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...s-the-legendary-tale-remade-on-playstation-5/

I'm still puzzled at Disney / Lucasfilm giving the key to the castle to Aspyr, whose only credited work so far are MacOS, iOS and Android ports of PC games.

The fact that the Aspyr rep said they hired a bunch of industry veterans and even people who worked on the original game is somewhat reassuring, but there shouldn't be a lack of high profile AAA studios willing to pick this up.
So why Aspyr?

Perhaps because part of their credited work in your first clause actually includes KotOR (and the sequel, as well as several other old Star Wars games)?

They're still just ports. They've had no involvement at all in art direction, story, gameplay, etc.
All they did on KOTOR 1 & 2 was to port the PC game to Android. Their only creative input was to decide where to put the virtual buttons in the touch panel for mobile devices.

They're still just ports. They've had no involvement at all in art direction, story, gameplay, etc.
All they did on KOTOR 1 & 2 was to port the PC game to Android. Their only creative input was to decide where to put the virtual buttons in the touch panel for mobile devices.

So, pretty much like Bluepoint Games or Nixxes. They also originally started out just making mostly straight up ports and eventually started adding in more embellishments in their later ports.

So, now Aspyr will get a chance to show what it can do when given a large project. The only thing I'm concerned with is Aspyr saying that they'll be tinkering with the story in order to update it to be relevant for a modern audience while attempting to keep bits and pieces of the original story that fans of the game love.

As a KOTOR fan since its launch, the story was the main attraction of the game and I felt the story that it told was timeless in the Star Wars universe. Basically that it was relevant and could easily slot into any era of humanity.

I'm a bit worried with that wording that the Aspyr representative used in their post show interview, especially with Disney holding the rights to Star Wars, that the original story will be watered down, neutered, PC-ified and made "woke."

What I would love to see, however, would be more racial choices for the player character, human and alien. I wouldn't mind going through the original as a non-human.

Regards,
SB

I'm still puzzled at Disney / Lucasfilm giving the key to the castle to Aspyr, whose only credited work so far are MacOS, iOS and Android ports of PC games.
The Star Wars IP is a mixed bag. You're asking creatives to work within very narrow creative guidelines that Disney will allow. Sometimes you do find a team really keen on an IP, like Insomniac were stoked to work on Spider-Man, but it sounds like Marvel extended them a lot of latitude, which is something Disney are not known to do for their valuable properties.

I tried to play KOTOR last year but the very classic RNG/math, which you really need to understand to make good gear/weapon/skill choices, is not popular anymore. This looks like a remaster for a new/modern audience. It's not aimed at those who already played it, because that game is still readily repayable for people who want that experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
RPSC?
I don't have permission to access that link. And Google tells me that RPSC stands for "Rajasthan Public Service Commission".

Ooof, listening to a podcast right now and pretty much everyone agrees that if the remake is a 1 to 1 remake regarding the story, it'll be great. But if they fuck with the story, it'll probably be shit.

I'm with them, what made the game so great wasn't so much the gameplay, which was pretty average. What made KOTOR so incredibly fantastic and memorable was its story and how well it captured the Star Wars universe. So yeah, a lot of people are very afraid that Aspyr will fuck up the remake since it sounds like they want to tinker with the story.

It doesn't help that it doesn't look like anyone associated with the creation of the first game is associated with this remake.

Here's what I'd love to see. Obsidian getting a chance to remake and FINISH what they started with KOTOR 2. That game was almost one of the best games ever made, but they ran out of time and money and so it was released in a buggy/rushed/unfinished state. I'd be over the moon if Obsidian were allowed to remake and finish KOTOR 2.

Regards,
SB

Your reply seems reasonable to me. If they're going to remake KOTOR, then keep it KOTOR. If it's going to be a "new game" with some assets and levels partially shared with the KOTOR storyline, then make it a new game or something.

Bleh.

I just want a remake not a reimagining. I understand that there isn't much creativity in the world anymore but there is such a huge time line in star wars why not make a new story with a new game and not put it out as a beloved game. The reason is the same thing with hollywood movies , they know it wont do well without an established name behind it.

Yeah, about this remake by a small support studio...

Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025​

NEWS: The Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic remake is indefinitely delayed, Bloomberg has learned. Developer Aspyr abruptly fired two directors this month and told staff that the project is on pause as it tries to figure out what comes next.​

But apart from the art of the game and the design of the game, it's all good right?

Supposedly the two they fired were:

Jason Minor - Art Director/Character Lead on SWTOR.
Brad Prince - Designer on the original KOTOR.

This doesn’t hit me too hard. The first KOTOR was great and given its age a remake would
Be nice. The priority for me is KOTOR 2… just actually finishing the story properly. Many people can tell they ran out of funding and the second half fell apart entirely.

If any game is deserving of a remake; it’s KOTOR2. It’s incomplete and never made it to the finish line. KOTOR 1 will always be great. It just needs a graphical uplift.

This doesn’t hit me too hard. The first KOTOR was great and given its age a remake would
Be nice. The priority for me is KOTOR 2… just actually finishing the story properly. Many people can tell they ran out of funding and the second half fell apart entirely.

If any game is deserving of a remake; it’s KOTOR2. It’s incomplete and never made it to the finish line. KOTOR 1 will always be great. It just needs a graphical uplift.

Would make sense to remake Kotor 1 before moving on to 2 though haha. Probably could have had a decent chance of Kotor 2 remake if this one turned out well but it doesn't look like we'll be getting any kind of remakes now.

I've tried to play KOTOR a couple of times but could not get past the "old school" RPG mechanics. Having to sit looking a stats screen for ten minutes and flicking between gear to work out which combinations are more advantageous to wear for a particular scenario doesn't appeal to me.

Bethesda and BioWare have spoken about why mainstream RPG game mechanics evolved from mimicking tabletop games with masses of stats and strict dice-rolls and it's because they are not as popular with modern audiences. the mechanics aren't immediately graspable

When you loo at the progression from Fallout 1/2, to Fallout 3 to Fallout 4, or KOTOR 1/2 to OG Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3, you'll see the commercial success in black and white. Elder Scrolls Oblivion, then Fallout 3, were my first proper RPG experiences. I just couldn't get past olde RPG experiences being Excel with graphics and pixel sex.

Back