NextGen Games new $70 price point and paid upgrades? [2020-07]

Were they on sale and then went back to full price ? I can't comment cause I don't really know.

I do wonder what ms will do when they remove the bluray drive from the xbox. Do you think they will make it an add on ?
They weren't on sale. Ninja Gaiden 2 is currently $30 on the Xbox store, and it used to be 10 or 20 regular price before it went BC. That game was Platinum Hits at one point, so it would have been $20 or less at retail. Same with Black Ops 2 being $50. You used to be able to sort of compare what the prices were for most games by checking them on the PS3 store website, but Sony shut that down recently. I don't know if this is a cost that Microsoft adds to recoup costs of making a game BC, or if publishers are increasing the cost of games they know have a larger demand. All of the BC Ubisoft games are $20 I think, which would basically put them in line with a retail Platinum Hits title. So I would imagine it's on the publishers to increase the price.

Pricing is up to the publisher and developer where they have control of that. I can't fathom them not wanting their older game to be priced better to be able to sell more. Sure, maybe a slight bump in price when it enters the BC program, but don't keep it at those elevated prices for long.

In the situation of Ninja Gaiden, it's like they don't want folks to buy the BC version and instead buy the new remake collection. It's only $10 more. So maybe a deliberate move to make the new product seem even better?

I dunno , maybe the games physically are getting rarer and so they bumped up the prices on the digital. Still a bit scummy I will agree. But with older games I always wait for a sale because they will more likely get discounted than a new release

Ninja Gaiden 2's price went up when it went BC in 2019. I can't say that I know Tecmo's intention with the price change, but I can't imagine they had a plan to pump up the price their older title just to make collection released almost 2 years later look like a better value.

Even if the pricing is up to the developer, Microsoft may have some influence on it. Perhaps they take an extra 5% on sales when a game enters the program or something. But I did just skim through some of the EA games that are BC and they are all $20 or less. I would imagine if anyone wanted to make an extra buck off the program, it would be EA. Or 2k, and the few games I looked at from them are $20 and under also. So maybe Activision and Tecmo are just being greedy.

Oh, didn't know the timing of the price increase. So what I supposed isn't likely to fit at that point. :LOL:

Oh, didn't know the timing of the price increase. So what I supposed isn't likely to fit at that point. :LOL:
To be fair, I have no proof to cite about the timing. Just my own memory of what the prices used to be. The only one I really saw happen in "real time" was Ninja Gaiden 2. I checked the price online, then a few weeks later it went backwards compatible and I checked it again and it was higher. Also, I'm sure Black Ops 2 was less than $50.

To be fair, I have no proof to cite about the timing. Just my own memory of what the prices used to be. The only one I really saw happen in "real time" was Ninja Gaiden 2. I checked the price online, then a few weeks later it went backwards compatible and I checked it again and it was higher. Also, I'm sure Black Ops 2 was less than $50.

My memory is a bit hazey on this, but I'm pretty sure that the Activision quickly increased the price after the title's sales started to surge when it went BC. Basically they were caught by surprise by the demand and then quickly responded by increasing the price to take advantage of the incredible demand there was for the game.

So many people wanted to play it again who no longer owned it and/or wanted to play it for the first time that it surged back into the top 10 in NPD.

Regards,
SB

Back