Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...maller-lighter-heatsink-keeps-console-cooler/

This is what I thought as well, if both machines are generating the same amount of heat and model B is letting more heat escape out the exhast then surely it must be colder?
How could Austin Evans screw up so baddly
Countless of people have being saying this since the beginning. And most people know why he did what he did. He even stated in his video the PS5 could perform worse because of this when we know it's not possible the way the system works. He is either stupid, dishonest or he has some kind of agenda.

I guess the arguement was higher temps located in a smaller area is not as good as lower temps over a wider area (ie if you did some math maybe it’s higher but not actually expelling more heat).

I didn’t want to say anything because the members who know more than me were telling me my logic was wrong…yet again people think the negative until the positive is proven.

IMHO if you capture all the exhaust from PS5 and funnel to a smaller localised point so you can measure the sum of all heat expelling- repeat for both consoles and you have a clearer picture of how they compare. Then you just need to compare wattage drawn…but maybe simpleton goonergaz doesn’t understand the laws of heat like when I was told heat doesn’t rise on this forum lol

It still boggles my mind that some here think Sony don't know what they are doing with a years worth of data and by making a smaller heatsink. I said it before, the bigger copper heatsink in the original PS5 was over kill as Sony didn't want people to complain about fan noise and wanted to keep the SOC cool.

Yes money was also saved with a cheaper smaller heatsink but if they make it perform efficiently then all the best to Sony for doing so. They are not making a loss any more with the new consoles and it's even better at heat dissipation. Awesome work by the Sony hardware engineers imo.

Status after PS Showcase: no new PS5 colors, no major hw. revision in sight, Pro version few years away and I'm not sure if I want one afer PS4 Pro... right, I'm ordering PS5 digital, it doesn't go under the TV, but I have place ready next to the old PC and router.
ps5place.jpg

Hope I get a new model with maybe more efficient heatsink and new fw. with enabled expansion bay, yay :D.

I didn’t want to say anything because the members who know more than me were telling me my logic was wrong…yet again people think the negative until the positive is proven.

I think some people are forgetting that you can have two identically-designed machines with different thermal properties simply due to fit and finish. Exhibit A: consumer PS4 and PS4 Pro models, which varied massively in terms of noise, with the noise being effect of the thermal system. Why did that happen? Variances in how the APU connected with the heat sink via thermal compound.

In addition to the readily identifiable changes, the new PS5 could have had a different liquid metal implementation. There are lots of design choices that can result in the same amount of power outputting different amounts of heat when running the same silicon workloads. It's complicated. :yep2:

This is, of course, how research and science works. People test, document and present findings. Sometimes they are right, often they are not. And others do their own testing and use the earlier findings and testing.

God, that'll be confusing for you. Are you sure you'll tell them apart?

yeah probably, more ethernet cables go into the router... anyway I can still hide it behind the TV and use USB extension. I considered Darkplates from dbrand but I'm not buying piece of plastic only because I dislike color of the original.

The New PS5 is Actually Better now with a sequel:

I'm liking this new revision more and more. The only thing that still sucks is that there's apparently still a fan lottery (no idea about coil whine, but if the mobo is on its third revision maybe they did sth to improve it).

Anecdotally, some of those who tried to fix coil whine after excluding or fixing things like production stickers left in the fan grill, fan mounting issues, and noisier fan models, involved putting additional coating on components in the power supply block, which is separate from what has been analyzed in the heatsink videos.
I haven't seen anyone comment on that component being different, and that would require a more invasive teardown.

Coil whine fixes for things like video cards have at times included adding additional wax or plastic coatings to inductors or VRM components, which would require piece by piece evaluation of the PCB and PSU.

I guess the arguement was higher temps located in a smaller area is not as good as lower temps over a wider area (ie if you did some math maybe it’s higher but not actually expelling more heat).
The original claim seemed to be using the IR readings of one part of the heat sink as a proxy for the SOC, while also somewhat confusing the temperature of one part of the heat sink as being the temperature of the air, which is something else the IR camera isn't suited for.

IMHO if you capture all the exhaust from PS5 and funnel to a smaller localised point so you can measure the sum of all heat expelling- repeat for both consoles and you have a clearer picture of how they compare.
If you routed all the exhaust from the PS5 to a sealed container and measured the heat output, you'd get values corresponding to the power meter measurements at or somewhat above 200 watts of power for however long you collected the exhaust.
All but a mostly trivial amount of power consumed comes out as exhaust heat.

Then you just need to compare wattage drawn…but maybe simpleton goonergaz doesn’t understand the laws of heat like when I was told heat doesn’t rise on this forum lol
Heat travels from regions of higher heat content to lower. In a fluid under the influence of gravity, like atmospheric air, warmer air tends to rise. This effect is insufficient for the power levels of concern, and an engineer who designed the PS5's scheme outright stated it was negligible. Other sources indicate it's trivially overwhelmed by any active air mover.

I wonder if the old heat sink was designed before the decision to go liquid metal...
One of the larger changes was significantly paring back metal that wasn't in line with the back exhaust port. Perhaps how much of the back side was going to be taken up by the IO panel was not definitively known, since so much of the original heatsink's metal that exhausted into the backside of the IO was dropped or moved up to the part that wasn't blocked.

If you routed all the exhaust from the PS5 to a sealed container and measured the heat output, you'd get values corresponding to the power meter measurements at or somewhat above 200 watts of power for however long you collected the exhaust.
All but a mostly trivial amount of power consumed comes out as exhaust heat.
This assumes cooling system is able to remove the heat from the system in equal rates. And that's really the question everyone was asking IRT this new model. Is the new cooling system able to match or exceed the transfer rate of the old one.

Here's a comparison someone did on Reddit comparing the launch systems' power supplies...

8fltc0w4ad361.png

Tommy McClain

Back