Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

This just popped up in my recommend feed for some reason.
Was actually a very good review from a first time xbox owner including good and well reasoned thoughts. And never did my head in with incorrect specs etc which these sort of videos seem to have.
Insight into why she actually prefers to have smaller storage for her own use case, so not actually a negative for her.
Ended up watching it all.
Might see if I can find video with her PS collectables.
Some old woman that puts most younger tubers to shame

Last edited:
Here you go. Someone used a SSD-to-CF Express adapter...

twitter.com/yip_tran said:
Some Chinese gamers use CFe adapters to adapt the Xbox Series X SSD into the Xbox as an expansion card. But they haven't tested whether other PCI-E 4.0 SSD can work. http://b23.tv/HoujrS @JezCorden @digitalfoundry

E-0-1SDVUAYYg8l

E-0-1V5VkAEwg8b

E-0-1YAVIAACbgb

Tommy McClain

Check out the Twitter thread too. Evidently someone went the other way too. Someone used a CF Express to USB adapter.

There's also a guy on there making his own expansion boards.

Tommy McClain
a low of enough price point would pretty much allow all 3rd party nvme drives at a pricepoint better than what MS can currently provide. Curious to see if this market explodes.

As long as it doesn't throttle probably should be possible once able to clone the format.

I do expect them to bring on more providers soon enough. Guess depends on how long the seagate single provider contract is for.

Initial results for that ESXS adapter on eBay was showing around $65 and really slow shipping from overseas.

Here you go. Someone used a SSD-to-CF Express adapter...

E-0-1SDVUAYYg8l

E-0-1V5VkAEwg8b

E-0-1YAVIAACbgb

Tommy McClain
Nice. My only problem so far is the length. MS should really have positioned the slot horizontally aligned so you could have a longer stick that points to the top of the console. In the current vertical alignment such a stick would just collide with other cables or would cover the ventilation holes

btw is there no workaround at all to make kinect v2 works with XS?

EDIT:
yep no workaround at all. someone tested it and it did not detected at all on XS OS.

anyway, just ordered an XSS. hopefully it'll arrive with no issue, as it got no warranty (gray imports).

Last edited:
Nice. My only problem so far is the length. MS should really have positioned the slot horizontally aligned so you could have a longer stick that points to the top of the console. In the current vertical alignment such a stick would just collide with other cables or would cover the ventilation holes

They could always just make an L shaped expansion drive or adapter and have the protruding part be flush with the case.

Regards,
SB

I am sure in the future there will be more options than just the external card. I wouldn't be surprised if a company comes out with a universal adapter for the slot that allows you to use a standard nvme drive
If MS does that they run into problems like Sony has around maintaining the baseline standard performance values of the ssds for game devs. They'd be much better off not letting that happen.

If MS does that they run into problems like Sony has around maintaining the baseline standard performance values of the ssds for game devs. They'd be much better off not letting that happen.

Maybe they will do it like on Xbox 360 where it's the external storage that needs to be fast enough. The Xbox will do a benchmark of the storage and let you know if it's tok slow

How to fix raised SDR black level in Xbox Series S?

Googling around, i only found this raised black issue on series x bluray player

but i got raised black level on SDR on xbox series S on everywhere. What i have tried

• changing the TV from Auto, to low, to high.

• changing xbox to RGB full and normal

• doing the full color/brightness/contrast calibration on xbox settings

I have none of this issue with my LG CX with these devices:

• PS4 Pro

• Nintendo Switch

• PC (i connected XSS into this same HDMI cable and port)

• Samsung Dex

• Laptop

• internal LG CX apps
any idea How to fix raised SDR black level in Xbox Series S?

Last edited:

The drive is only 2.4gb/s there are a lot more options out there.

Anyone know how to check which games supports quick resume?

Also how to pin games to quick resume? (for example, I'm still doing halo 5 story mission so I want to keep halo 5 pinned for quick resume)

Also how to pin games to quick resume? (for example, I'm still doing halo 5 story mission so I want to keep halo 5 pinned for quick resume)

How to pin games into quick resume
1) Start the Game

If it's Quick Resume compatible then it will be in that group.

You do not really manage quick resume group like you do other groups. It's there for mostly informative purposes. With that said, if you remove an item from Quick Resume pin group it will clear the Quick Resume slot it was using. If you start other games and do not want them using a Quick Resume slot, then when you're done playing them, from the dashboard bring up the Menu and select "Quit Game".

I'm in the habit where if I'm playing a game (Game A) and want to make sure it has an updated quick resume slot, I switch into a different game (Game B), thus forcing a quick resume snapshot being done for the first game (Game A).

any idea how to downgrade the xbox series firmware?

the dolby vision update makes me loss
1. ALLM
2. VRR

both of them greyed out. Xbox series S, LG CX.

Have you tried a full power down of console and TV? Vincent didn't have any issue in his previous DV testing videos. Though he used SeriesX and I can't imagine SeriesS would be that different. I saw some unfortunate Souls sometimes have handshaking issues and switching inputs on TV or full power cycles help them. Maybe asking him / HDTVTest would get you better help?

Maybe you also got a TV firmware update which reset your TV settings, so go over those too?

Back