Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

breakpoint and division 2 got upped to 60fps on PS5.
Thanks to CPU boost. GPU probably isn't (or not fully). AC Unity shows this very well. In areas where the PS4 game was CPU limited, the game is locked to 60fps on PS5. But the game has big framerate drops during GPU heavy (well heavy for PS4 at 900p) moments.

Besides Division 2 and Breakpoint use DRS so the FPS is stable, but the resolution is very low.

From the PS5 new 1100 model hands-on from Digital Foundry we learn interesting power consumption measures.

- Control regular gameplay (30fps RT mode): 170W
- Most demanding scene (corridor of death, 30fps RT mode), but still gameplay: 200W
- Photo mode unlocked (non gameplay, taxes mainly the GPU according to a reliable source who has actually profiled the game during photo-mode): 214W.

So what does it tell us if we trust Cerny and the dynamic clock system that is based on instructions load which are themselves based on actual power draw? It means the PS5 should run at max clocks in the vast majority of time as it seems the actual max power consumption (so logically the max number of instructions before a downclock) could be higher than 210W (and not 200W like previously thought).

During normal and demanding gameplay the system should run at max CPU / GPU clocks and it could lower the clocks only in very specific conditions: photo modes which are similar as cutscenes / when game is put in the background. All those scenes share the fact that the GPU is not limited by any CPU logic and is stupidly (and uselessly) trying to work as much as it can. It can also happens in plenty of games when you enter the dashboard while a game is running in the background. Also in some games menu and maps.
Gotta say, the shrinking of the heat sink poses far less of a concern than that of coil whine. The power supply coil whine on some units completely cancels any effort spent on acoustic design. I wonder if the new model has fixed this.

On my unit the coil whine is the loudest while playing Genshin Impact, which is curious, as we thought Astro’s showed the upper limit of PS5’s power draw, apparently Genshin draws more?

Gotta say, the shrinking of the heat sink poses far less of a concern than that of coil whine. The power supply coil whine on some units completely cancels any effort spent on acoustic design. I wonder if the new model has fixed this.

On my unit the coil whine is the loudest while playing Genshin Impact, which is curious, as we thought Astro’s showed the upper limit of PS5’s power draw, apparently Genshin draws more?

On pc, coil whine doesn't go linear with power. It have a sweet spot where the whine is the loudest. I assume ps5 is the same.

Unfortunately most human are unable to hear coil whine, so I don't think it's a high priority for them to fix it. If it gets fixed, it could be just a coincidence of they using different components.

So it also could means the revised PS5 will have no coil whine or different coil whine range

On pc, coil whine doesn't go linear with power. It have a sweet spot where the whine is the loudest. I assume ps5 is the same.
Oh that could be why.
Unfortunately most human are unable to hear coil whine…
If you had heard a coil-whining PS5 coil whining under Genshin Impact you would not say that. On my unit the whining penetrates through the game audio and the sound of my fridge in the other room, it’s not higher pitched than what I’ve previously heard while playing Astro’s or SM:MM - it’s hard to describe but definitely more noticeable. This is a bit of a concern: with more game to be released, who knows how much worse the coil whine can get?

I wish Sony come up with a proper repair program for this, right now replacement is like lottery drawing a second time.

Edit: I’m not alone with the Genshin Impact coil whine
https://www.resetera.com/threads/genshin-impact-makes-my-ps5-coil-whine-like-crazy.419175/
See the comment of this Reddit post

Last edited:
Btw does all PS4 games now automatically got boosted to PS5 (like Xbox Series). Or it's still only boosted to ps4 pro?

Is does nor feel like this is that widespread. I have a Series X and was expecting a fairly low-friction improvement in performance for older games but a bunch of classic Xbox games (e.g. Gears and Fable) not only don't run better but in some cases are running worse than running the same game on old hardware. I really hope Microsoft unlock their FPS boost tech to more games but it's something of a blunt instrument, boosting FPS at any cost. E.g. if you run Fallout 4 on Series X in FPS Boost mode, the game will fallback to 1080p/60 with reduced graphics settings including draw instance, but if you use a 60fps mod you can run 4K/60 with the usual graphical settings.

PS5 is not any better but you keep your expectation to games hitting their target frame rates then you'll be happy. Some games - notably more recent Sony first party games (HZD, GoW, Easy Gone, TLoU2, GoS) have legit 60fps patches but the rest of your experience will vary. I was really happy with Ubisoft unlocking Assassin's Creed Odyssey to 60fps on PS5 and I bought some DLC for this game.

True that. My stick has been laying there unused for over a month now. I've been fondling and looking at that beauty long enough now, it needs to be put into action already Sony!

Before this acquisition Firestrike were supposedly working on two games - one MP game and one cinematic horror title. We'll see what will they actually announce down the line.

Good video. Numbers start at 5:20.

I appreciate that the presenter noted the minimal sample size and his luck in both units having the same fan model. The memory temp was actually a NAND module temp, as he noted in the description.

The different power draws are more interesting than the different temps, IMO, even though the temp differences were much greater (~40 vs ~50°C). Old unit drew 0-9W less gaming (DMC5, ~200W), but 0-5W more “idle” (home screen, ~50W).

Last edited:
I appreciate that the presenter noted the minimal sample size and his luck in both units having the same fan model.
Due to the VRMs and DRAM (edit: NAND) also having lower temps and not just the SoC I think we can eliminate hardwarebusters getting lucky with the silicon lottery. This heatsink redesign is simply superior despite the lower weight.

Due to the VRMs and DRAM (edit: NAND) also having lower temps and not just the SoC I think we can eliminate hardwarebusters getting lucky with the silicon lottery. This heatsink redesign is simply superior despite the lower weight.
My only reservation is that they didn’t really show how they measured soc temps. So I have no actual idea how accurate it is. It’s promising, of course, but this is the first time anyone (?) has provided soc temps, so they should have spent more time explaining how they rigged that up.

My only reservation is that they didn’t really show how they measured soc temps. So I have no actual idea how accurate it is. It’s promising, of course, but this is the first time anyone (?) has provided soc temps, so they should have spent more time explaining how they rigged that up.
He says in a comment that he measured the SOC temp from the back of the board, so it isn't so much an accurate reading of the SOC, but the PCB below it. But if he measured both systems in the same way, it should be a fair comparison. I'd like to see more also, though.

Also, the comments are turning into the dumpster fire you would expect.

So does this mean that Sony actually made an improvement? :)

No, that's the wrong messaging.

They messed it up. I saw some dude measure the exhaust on YouTube, this is definitely more extensive testing than Sony would have performed.

Sony broke the PlayStation 5.

/s

Back