Moderation actions suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had made a couple posts which that particular user didn't agree with concerning PC and shader compilation issues in the UE5 thread, and they got a bit snarky with me. I backed off because I realized I wasn't really in the proper thread for that discussion and it was creating some friction since I was directly comparing PC to console. I essentially said, "If I can't have this conversation about a real technical issue here, then where can I?" ..which is true. I've always thought of this forum as a place where actual knowledgeable people (of which I am not) can discuss real tech issues and thoughts, without getting defensive if someone says something they don't agree with about their preferred hardware. I'm actually a really big PC fanboy. I used to be a big console gamer, but eventually just grew less attached to them and more so the PC, so that is what I personally like to discuss. Sometimes when you love talking about something so much you can forget that you're really actually disrupting and derailing conversations around you... even if you didn't intend to do so. I've been guilty of that before.

Anyway, there's lots of places and forums to be a fanboy warrior on the internet.. no shortage of that. But when people are attempting to have a real, meaningful discussion.. some of us just need to learn to put that stuff aside and agree to disagree. Somebody saying something on a forum isn't going to change your reality. If you love your box... keep loving it. If you disagree and must comment, be respectful. You're not going to change anyone's mind if they have no interest in engaging with you in the first place.

Argue with people who want to argue... not with people who want to learn and discuss.

Thanks @BRiT - and while it may bear no importance to you or anyone, I have had to take extended breaks from the forum (the latest of which just this summer) mostly because of this one user , so I feel like it's a case of either giving him 'breaks', or expecting us reasonable users to visit and post much less, because of the irritation this one user provides. Very frustrating. Ignoring him doesn't really work too well because people will still reply to him, so we see those replies,his quotes and the ensuing arguments anyway.

I've also been spending the last month or so on other forums because of this. Putting casual posters on ignore generally solves the issue but, as you say, when somebody is spouting that much bullshit, it leaves a trail of nonsensical posts in theads which just makes me not want to bother reading or posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back