Dr. Nick

Veteran
This is the first Tales of game to be made using the Unreal Engine

Announcement Trailer

Release Date Trailer

Playstation 5 Demo Gameplay

Xbox Series X Demo Gameplay

Demo for the All Xbox and Playstation consoles releases tomorrow 8/18/2021. Downloadable now if you live in New Zealand. No PC demo announced, likely to stop data miners. I will add more content to this later.

Hopefully will come to gamepass day one like rumored. Japan published games on steam are quite expensive compared to games published by companies from other countries

played the demo on PS4 Pro

1. PS4 Pro sounds like its gonna take off, louder than The Last of Us 2
  2. the frame rate is all over the place
  3. lots of pop-ins
  4. the surround audio is really dry
gameplaywise
  1. very archaic world traversal design (lots of invisible walls, cant jump over a tiny ledge/wall/etc, sometimes i can jump into water sometimes i cant, etc)
  2. the hunt quest instantly teleports to questgiver when finished. nice!
  3. the indicators in battle are too hard to notice (e.g. the special skills is on lower left of the screen while the battle are in the middle of the screen)
  4. dumb teammate (already set healing as priority but they keeps adamant to not using healing)
  5. changing target is cumbersome
seems best played on PC with mods to "fix" the design issues.

Runs well on the Series X though I played it in framerate mode. Only played about 45 minutes last night as it was already really late. Will hold my impressions for the final game though.

Demo Trailer:

Comparison of all consoles:

Not entirely sure if the numbers are accurate but at least for the XSX and the PS5 it looks like they could have had a 60 fps Quality mode if they were willing to drop the res a bit. Somewhere between 1800p and 2000p could have landed them 60 fsp or maybe a solid 55-60 for VRR in quality mode on the XSX. That is if the game is not using DRS.
Something a little bit below 1440p might have made Quality mode redundant on the XSS or much better for VRR.

FSP mode is smooth 99% of the time. The tutorial screens are the cause of the major slowdowns you are seeing when they pop up in battle. Better comparisons can be made once the final game is out when the player is well past the tutorials.

Last edited:
weird. on my PS4 pro and on that video of PS4 pro i can see pop-in, but on that video of PS4 i cant see pop-in. the game got streaming bug on PS4 pro?

People like combat like this? Its so over top that its tiring

tales series has always been over the top in combat (and the drama).

although BAMCO seems didnt evolve the mechanic enough, i think. It felt like a poor man's FFXV combat. Actually not just the combat, even the story scenes felt like a discount FFXV with
only 2 characters being shown in a cutscene interacting with people despite there are 6 people in the party. IIRC the NPC also only referring to the two characters, and disregarding the other 4.

the "camp scene" also didnt help

Last edited:
its tales series, you probably can just focus on the main story missions and can grasp and enjoy the story just fine, and no need to do extra grinding.

although the downside is that usually on tales series, there will be a point where the world is heavily changed or something, and old quests became no longer available....

assuming its still follows the tales formula for those hahaha

This being a demo gives prime opportunity to lock all the quality modes to 30fps as well as last gen consoles.

I'm still on a launch PS4 and the uncapped fps is not great

It would be nice to have a capped and uncapped option. Uncapped for current gen consoles for, you know, like 7 years from now when the PS6 and XBox??? are released.

its tales series, you probably can just focus on the main story missions and can grasp and enjoy the story just fine, and no need to do extra grinding.

although the downside is that usually on tales series, there will be a point where the world is heavily changed or something, and old quests became no longer available....

assuming its still follows the tales formula for those hahaha
Oh right. I've never played a Tales game so I'm not even sure what they're really like.

Preload/Pre-install started really early this morning in the USA. Currently says that the Series X|S file is 40.05GB this excludes any of the extra content you might get with the other editions of the game. That content is a little over 10MB each. Xbox One version says it is 39GB.

Another interesting tidbit is that this is the first game that I know about that lets you explicitly download both the Xbox One Version and the Series X version of the game. While I have not tested it yet, it looks like you can use up nearly 80 GB after downloading both. If you purchased a physically copy of the game it appears that you will get 2 disks. One for the Xbox One and One for the Xbox Series. There are also two achievement list. So you can earn achievements for both versions. This might have been done to line it up more closely with the PS4 and PS5 copies of the game which I understand will give you separate trophies for each version.

From the Namco Bandai website
Microsoft:
Tales of Arise offers fans the ability to experience the game on Xbox One or on Xbox Series X for no additional charge.
Tales of Arise for Xbox will be delivered as a cross generation double-pack. Both discs included are required to play Tales of Arise on the Xbox One or the Xbox Series X console. After Installation of either Xbox One or Xbox Series X version of the game, the disc will be required to play the game. Both discs should be retained for the game to be playable.

Save data created on the Xbox One and Xbox Series X are not compatible.
The great thing about it is that you are definitely getting the Series X version on disk rather than getting the Xbox One version then downloading the Xbox Series Version.

Side note: I also have been seeing achievements for the game showing up in the Xbox Series screensaver for about a week or so.

Last edited:
a girl with free electric power?
  1. in the demo, i can move to enemy and they didnt get electrocuted :(
  2. i wonder if in the full game the free electric power will be explored more, maybe in a silly sidequest with an inventor/researcher deep in the mountain? Maybe even tied to the usual "onsen scene" in tales series.

Still at work so I haven't double checked Quick Resume yet but the game is supposedly doing well for a JRPG on Steam right now with 32K users In-Game last time I checked.

Back