Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I'm sorry. I really shouldn't have said anything and derailed this thread. I know this isn't the right thread for it to begin with and the comparisons being a point of contention around here. Not everything is an attack.. people fight and argue about things because one way or another they care.

That's my bad, and we don't need to start pointing fingers at each other. I got a thoughtful response from Andrew which was nice. I always value insight from people who work in the industry, which is usually why I speak up in the first place.

Back to UE5 :) That Vroom! game looks very cool. We're going to start seeing a lot of these popping up in the very near future.

I wonder when the next big UE5 demonstration will be? I'd love to see a new demo from Epic which shows some of the improvements and features added to the engine since the Early Access release in practice. There's already quite a few games confirmed in development with UE5 too. I wonder how quick the industry will move over to UE5 once it's fully released? Fun times ahead!

Aight ok, i just saw the usual 500 dollar vs 2500 dollar thing making an appearance, its a common reference for some warriors. My bad too, reflexes i think :p

There are things that could be improved upon and i'l hazard a guess the industry will try to alter those things somehow.

hat Vroom! game looks very cool. We're going to start seeing a lot of these popping up in the very near future.

While not intrested in that game, i think this UE5 engine could bring alot of ultra impressively looking games to the table by 'just' indie devs.

UE wouldn't be able to handle a fraction of what's needed for FS. They'd need to further refine their zones and get rid of how UE links every single object.

I hope so but it’s unclear whether Nanite is good at lots of small high poly objects. Theoretically the rasterizer shouldn’t care which objects the clusters are coming from.
Brian suggested in one of UE5 streams to use Nanite on "lots of small high poly objects" as it's more efficient because Nanite is GPU-driven and all draw calls are initiated by the GPU.

Last edited:
UE wouldn't be able to handle a fraction of what's needed for FS. They'd need to further refine their zones and get rid of how UE links every single object.
well there are millions of tree sprites and thousands of "buildings" at once, but the terrain in itself is pretty standard rendering wise, moutains are not very dense in geometry, and would greatly benefit from nanite.

well there are millions of tree sprites and thousands of "buildings" at once, but the terrain in itself is pretty standard rendering wise, moutains are not very dense in geometry, and would greatly benefit from nanite.

I agree with that aspect, it seems like nanite could help with that. I just don't know if the other limitations of the engine have been dealt with or if they're still there from 4.x or earlier. I'd certainly be interested in seeing a deep-dive on FS and what changes various other engines would need.

when i said UE5 i should have said nanite, or something similar, i'm sure several other devs/engines may embrace similar tech for terrain rendering in the future.

I am Not Sure nanite is a perfekt fit for Terrain in It's current Form. At some point with a large enough Terrain piece, you Start having to have a really huge unqiue mesh or meshes with All the bits premodeled. The kit bashing they showed off I think is less conducive to a Real game work Flow, IT is also Performance wasting.

Rather something like a heughtmap driven by a nanite like rendering Level of detail would be more preferred. I think Epic even mentioned this as a future development goal for nanite.

I am Not Sure nanite is a perfekt fit for Terrain in It's current Form. At some point with a large enough Terrain piece, you Start having to have a really huge unqiue mesh or meshes with All the bits premodeled. The kit bashing they showed off I think is less conducive to a Real game work Flow, IT is also Performance wasting.

Rather something like a heughtmap driven by a nanite like rendering Level of detail would be more preferred. I think Epic even mentioned this as a future development goal for nanite.
They intent to have nanite handling all rasterization. (or at least some variations of it.)

Abandoned was running on UE5

51382042790_224067dcb0_o.png

Last edited:
Stalker 2 is on UE5 now. They presumably started on UE4, so it'll be an interesting case of a mid to late development switchover. Lighting moved over to Lumen and a few Nanite objects?

Brian suggested in one of UE5 streams to use Nanite on "lots of small high poly objects" as it's more efficient because Nanite is GPU-driven and all draw calls are initiated by the GPU.

Oh it’ll be faster than the classic pipeline for sure but how much faster. Does Nanite’s cluster streaming and culling implementation really not care whether the clusters are coming from one big mesh or many tiny ones?

I wonder if Nanite is compatible (or practical?) with procedural generation.

Procedural generation of terrain, to avoid storing huge meshes as suggested by @Dictator.

I suppose it's probably going to be a bad fit for runtime procgen, because processing a mesh for nanite is a rather expensive process. Workflow-wise its a great fit for precomputed procgen, but that approach doesn't save you on disk space.

Personally I'm bullish on nanite and disk space -- the compression is already amazing, I don't think people are going to struggle to ship games, especially as (i hope) more special purpose solutions for things like terrain get added.

Back