Windows 11 [2021]

System requirements for Microsoft Windows 11 remain unchanged (guru3d.com)
July 27, 2021

Can businesses afford to upgrade to Win 11 with necessary corporate hardware upgrades? Many just migrated to Win 10 with no upgrades ...
If they're observing any sort of rational hardware lifecycle, yes. You don't have to cut the entire enterprise over all at once, you can phase Win11 in with an equipment refresh. Most companies will cycle desktops every four years, some stretch it to five. Laptops are usually on a shorter cycle just because they're typically abused a bit more while traveling.

If we presume the most recent two years of purchases should be compatible, this would mean the remaining folks who are currently using an older machine may only have to wait until 2024 (for a company stretching to a five year cycle.) That seems an eternity, but in business terms, that's just the lifecycle of a piece of equipment

Shit man, there are still companies today on Win7 because they waited that long to get off WinXP. :D

Is there anyone still using AMD Zen / Zen+ (Ryzen 1000/2000/1000AF-series) or Intel Skylake / Skylake X / Kaby Lake (Core 6000/7000/7000X-series) desktop CPUs?

I need you to open the 'PowerShell (Admin)' shortcut by right-clicking the Start menu, run the command below, and see if the resulting list includes number 7 (for MBEC/GEMT support):

$Win32_DeviceGuard = Get-CimInstance -Namespace ROOT\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceGuard -ClassName Win32_DeviceGuard
$Win32_DeviceGuard.AvailableSecurityProperties

Security properties are 0 None, 1 Hypervisor, 2 Secure Boot, 3 DMA protection, 4 Secure Memory Overwrite Request, 5 NX protection, 6 SMM mitigations, 7 Mode Based Execution Control, 8 APIC virtualisation.
There is a new 'Win11 optimised' bios for my B550 mobo.
Out of the box it gives me
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32> $Win32_DeviceGuard.AvailableSecurityProperties

The more I look at Windows 11, the less I like it. Right click app specific menu items are now nested in a submenu? That's going to be annoying whenever I want to say use WinRAR something using the context sensitive right click menu.

Can anyone check to see if the task bar is resizable and not just stuck on one "row" of applications?

Regards,
SB

The more I look at Windows 11, the less I like it. Right click app specific menu items are now nested in a submenu? That's going to be annoying whenever I want to say use WinRAR something using the context sensitive right click menu.

Can anyone check to see if the task bar is resizable and not just stuck on one "row" of applications?

Regards,
SB

yes the taskbar and right click menu is downgraded in W11. have not found a way to upgrade it back to the feature of W10

Looking forward to ISO installations on my older PC's as long as MS figures out receiving security/hardware updates.

Microsoft to allow Windows 11 to be installed on older PCs through ISOs, but they might not get updates - VideoCardz.com
August 28, 2021
According to The Verge, Microsoft is now leaning towards allowing millions of consumer and corporate PCs to be upgraded to Windows 11, despite previously announced hardware limitations.

The Windows 11 will now require a 64-bit processor with at least a 1 GHz clock rate, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage. Those are the absolute minimum requirements for Windows 11 to be installed. This means that Windows 11 installation could be bypassed but only when manually installing Windows through ISO, rather than upgrading through the Windows Update tool.

The automatic update will not be possible for officially unsupported hardware. The Verge also claims that Microsoft has updated their initial statement by adding that ISO installations may lack support for Windows Update altogether, which would be a major drawback. Consumers ‘evaluating’ Windows 11 experience on unsupported hardware would not receive both the securities as well as hardware updates, which for Microsoft’s own sake does not make much sense.

What's the use of TPM2 etc requirements if they would allow ISO and receiving security updates? They should keep to the line they've drawn.

What's the use of TPM2 etc requirements if they would allow ISO and receiving security updates? They should keep to the line they've drawn.

Throw a bone at the people complaining and say welp you can run it but you wont get support from us.

the cpu usage issue has been fixed since the latest windows update a few days ago. seems they do quickly patch things up

Do you mean Secure Boot? Some Linux distros have signed bootloaders so they can boot with Secure Boot.
Indeed. Secure boot is probably what is being discussed, and dual boot is indeed possible so long as the operating system(s) in question have signed bootloaders.

"In an in-depth interview with Microsoft’s security skipper David Weston, Branscombe reports that many of the bombshell hardware requirements come from enabling the hardware virtualization features called Virtualization-Based Security (VBS) and Hypervisor-Protected Code Integrity (HVCI)."
----
"Microsoft’s own guidance from 2019 said CPUs without the feature (Skylake and older as well as Ryzen 1000) “will rely on an emulation of this feature, called Restricted User Mode, which has a bigger impact on performance.”

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3623713/why-windows-11-is-leaving-so-many-pcs-behind.html

Good article, and reasonable points IMO. I'm one of the folks who is somewhat guilty of pointing at Intel and accusing them of mostly building the same crap for the last four generations, although I too was keenly aware of all the security and virtualization updates they were making along the way.

Good article, and reasonable points IMO. I'm one of the folks who is somewhat guilty of pointing at Intel and accusing them of mostly building the same crap for the last four generations, although I too was keenly aware of all the security and virtualization updates they were making along the way.

Not a lot of reviewers took the time to talking about the small (but important ?) changes either...

Valorant enforces TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot on Windows 11 PCs - Industry - News - HEXUS.net
903cee85-68a8-4a7b-829e-ab68355a12c0.jpg

If you check out the Valorant PC minimum and recommended specifications pages, you will note that, like many such f2p titles looking for widespread adoption, its demands are rather low. The top-tier 'high-specification' PC it recommends for 144Hz gameplay, for example, is a PC with an Intel Core i5-9400F or an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X or better, an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti or an AMD Radeon R7 370 or better, plus 4GB of RAM, and a 64-bit OS (Windows 7, 8, 10).

With the above in mind, it appears odd that Valorant, when installed on Windows 11 systems, is being very strict about hardware specs. More precisely, it has been spotted (by AntiCheatPD via XDA Developers) that "Valorant has started to enforce both TPM and Secure boot if you are playing on Windows 11 to ensure a trusted platform when playing Valorant." The AntiCheatPD, goes on to assert that "Riot Vanguard team yet again leading the anti-cheat industry in the right direction for competitive integrity".
If you are one of those that do use the Windows 11 ISO install loophole (or are currently testing the beta on a similar system) then that won't be OK to play Valorant. The AntiCheatPD welcomes this stringency by Riot Games, saying that "This will make it much harder to cheat, and not only that HWID [hardware identifier] bans will finally not be bypassed due to how TPM works, but this strategy should be adopted. To every game."

Back