Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like the game is a looker, too. And from what I saw the maps are rather small. Compared to Warzone (120hz) and its way bigger and better looking maps, this looks technically mediocre IMO.
:nope:

it may not be breaking next generation graphical barriers, but it's far from mediocre.

XSS is performing pretty well, especially in comparison to every other console both last and current gen.
man, still waiting to unpackage this box. lol I wish I didn't pre-order it. I would have gotten a better deal by the time this next-gen patch finally arrives.
But it still looks incredible!

man, still waiting to unpackage this box. lol I wish I didn't pre-order it. I would have gotten a better deal by the time this next-gen patch finally arrives.
same problem, nah on ps5 looks below avarage for now (waiting just for higher resolution mode with mor npc without rt)

Hopefully it's worth the wait.
I'm starting to wonder just what they can actually do to current gen to make it much better apart from run smoother.
As Tom said XSS seems like it's already at the pinnacle for it.
RTRT reflections would be amazing for this title, but what's the performance cost.
Guess might be viable in the quality mode at that resolution and framerate.
Hopefully soon, before the holiday big hitters start dropping.

Written Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-storage-tested-can-it-match-the-stock-drive

Our final tests were all about raw transfer speeds, where moving games between PS5's stock drive and the M.2 expansion is a perfect case study. Picking Cyberpunk 2077 gives us a meaty 101GB install to shuttle between these two drives. After extensive testing, it became clear that writing to the M.2 drive happens at a much more rapid pace than copying the same data back to the internal drive. For example, transferring Cyberpunk from PS5's internal SSD to the M.2 SSD takes just one minute and 11 seconds. That's an average rate of 1.42GB/s - an incredible speed given the sheer size of CDPR's game. Transfer speeds do vary according to content though, and so for example, copying Battlefield 5 from internal storage yielded a 0.87GB/s average transfer speed, while Final Fantasy 15 produced a 0.82GB/s average.

But if we transfer the game back, from the M.2 SSD to the PS5 stock drive, it takes far longer. The count comes in at seven minutes, 18 seconds - at a transfer rate of just 0.23GB/s. It's a huge difference, and one that bears out in transferring other big games - like Final Fantasy 15 and Battlefield 5. Transferring to the M.2 SSD will always be faster than it will be writing back to the internal drive, but generally speaking that is fine: a console SSD does not need tremendous write speeds. It's worth noting that while very slow, it's actually relatively fast when stacked up against copying back to the internal SSD via a USB-based option, as the table below reveals. Copying Battlefield 5 and FF15 back to internal storage delivered the same 0.23GB/s transfer rate average, suggesting some kind of system level cap.

So, that's our first look at PS5 expandable NVMe storage for the M2 slot, but it's unlikely to be our last - we're interested in testing the best of the best and indeed the worst of the worst, not to mention the WD SN850 selected by Mark Cerny himself, based on this recent tweet which does seem to hit the sweet spot in terms of hardware specs, and comes with a heatsink attached out of the box. And if there are any other specific drives you'd like us to test - please let us know - but in the here and now, the news is good: PS5 may well be built around a custom solid-state storage solution, but a good PCIe Gen 4 SSD can match and in some scenarios actually exceed the performance of the internal solution, and works just as well on the most demanding storage-heavy game we've currently got to test.

Tests with and without heatsink need to be done under load and time to see if it throttles.

Based on uk amazon pricing
XS 1TB £200
1TB m.2 £154 (from quick search) without heatsink.

So MS needs to reduce price to be seen as competive, around £30 should do it, and would help to be seen as reasonable for XSS owners.
Won't be to long before its been out for a year.

They also could do with a 512GB version also. As can almost be seen as like memory cards.

Tests with and without heatsink need to be done under load and time to see if it throttles.

XS 1TB £200

So MS needs to reduce price to be seen as competive, around £30 should do it, and would help to be seen as reasonable for XSS owners.

They also could do with a 512GB version also. As can almost be seen as like memory cards.
yea, I think the loading/writing tests while interesting about it's characteristics for instance, doesn't necessarily represent much of what to expect in terms of day to day.

Would like to see thermals/frame rates/noise/power of SSD installed vs not installed and see if there are any notable variances after 1 hour of play on something like ratchet and clank.

XS 1TB £200

I would like also to see Ratchet tests with ssd under sony recomendation (and imho too much tests on ps4 bc titles)

So MS needs to reduce price to be seen as competive

We sort of already have that in the US where Newegg routinely has the Seagate Expansion card for $187 when normal price is $220. However, it would be nice for there to be an official price drop as well as additional options.

We sort of already have that in the US where Newegg routinely has the Seagate Expansion card for $187 when normal price is $220. However, it would be nice for there to be an official price drop as well as additional options.
I'm not sure how everything compares to the US prices, but it seems like in UK even with it selling under RRP it needs a price cut to bring it more in line within £10 or so.
I don't think it needs to be the same price or cheaper, just in same ball park.

Samsungs killing it. Impressive, the pc nvme drive is actually performing better in rift apart, and much better in copying, and loading games faster.

I would like also to see Ratchet tests with ssd under sony recomendation (and imho too much tests on ps4 bc titles)
Yeah if you asked anyone here the near universal suggestion for the Title to check would be Ratchet and Clank
So they tested a few titles but not the obvious one, which they even mention during the article :LOL:

compared to series X its about 2x the speed playing games which based on the specs is no surprise, but the surprise is series X is a lot faster saving games (note this is from disk -> disk and not from disk -> memory which is what should be tested)

Last edited:
I guess writing speed on internal PS5 is slow because Sony doesn't reserve a slc cache or something like that ?

I would imagine writing speed would be just important as read speeds? For gaming pc it for sure is atleast. I have no plans on adding a nvme drive to the PS5 (yet), but when the time comes i'd use the gen4 nvme external as it performs better in all scenarios than the stock build in one. Which is unfortunate since studios will be restricted to the soldered-on ssd.

I would imagine writing speed would be just important as read speeds? For gaming pc it for sure is atleast. I have no plans on adding a nvme drive to the PS5 (yet), but when the time comes i'd use the gen4 nvme external as it performs better in all scenarios than the stock build in one. Which is unfortunate since studios will be restricted to the soldered-on ssd.
Restricted is subjective.
You need to set a "minimum" for two reasons. One is the desirable performance you want to extract, and on the other is the options available to consumers.
One goes against the other. And the minimum is quite high as it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back