Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It is painful, especially when you look at the cost of the console and then cost of the storage. Admittedly you're moving pretty close to the bleeding edge of consumer tech with this but still!!

if it got ludicrous amount of awesome exclusives, even if the storage price is painful, people will still buy them (or at least, me).

now i remember the pain of PSVITA....

It is painful, especially when you look at the cost of the console and then cost of the storage. Admittedly you're moving pretty close to the bleeding edge of consumer tech with this but still!!

Console gaming was quite cheap hardware wise once in a while. Now your over a thousand dollars considering some extra storage space and other additional hardware. Thats before the expensive games and subscriptions if you want things online aswell for most games.

that's just the high end solution, you can buy whatever external drive you want as long as you transfert games over internal SSD to play.
But some people will always find concern over everything they don't like anyway but want to downplay.

Also we need to remember that this is a standard M.2 drive. If you really want an extra space for PS5 games and you don't have enough money for the higher capacity, you can always buy lower capacity one, like 500GB. When you eventually have enough money to upgrade to higher capacity, you can always use the SSD on PC or with enclosure as external drive or easily sell it. Put it on your PC to get that maximum direct storage experience (since PS5 compatible SSD should be fast).

It is expensive because it's fast, not proprietary.
For PS5 owners on a budget, they can always store their PS5 game on external drive.

Surely its not that easy?
I have no idea perhaps it is, Are the cost of producing memory or a SSD all about the same regardless of size eg 128GB costs as much to make as 256GB or a 1TB one, but they just charge twice as much for the 256GB one?
Like I said I have no idea, anyone know?

It should be easy, if their custom SSD controller is any good :)

Of course 256 GiB part will cost more than 128 GiB part. Question is how much more, if it's approximately the same as cost of M.2 expansion of comparable size, than ok it doesn't make much sense to add more on the motherboard.

Of course 256 GiB part will cost more than 128 GiB part.
thats my question, why? of course 2kg flour costs more than 1kg flour cause theres more product that needs to be grown, shipped etc, but with double the memory the 'product' is nearly the same X grams, i.e. its negligible, perhaps its takes 2x as long to make, 2x as dense, so they are slower to make so you're paying for time?

thats my question, why? of course 2kg flour costs more than 1kg flour cause theres more product that needs to be grown, shipped etc, but with double the memory the 'product' is nearly the same X grams, i.e. its negligible, perhaps its takes 2x as long to make, 2x as dense, so they are slower to make so you're paying for time?

Kioxia uses 3D stacking of dies, so 256 GiB is like 2x128GiB. So you are paying for more dies, production cost is higher.

Sony says they have enough supplies of semiconductors to meet their fiscal year targets. Fiscal year ends at the end of March.

In an earnings call last night, Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki said that despite worldwide semiconductor shortages, the company has "secured a number of chips that's necessary to achieve" the company's current production target of at least 14.8 million PlayStation 5 consoles in the current fiscal year (which ends in March 2022). "Regarding the supply of the semiconductors, we're not concerned," he said during a Q&A portion of the event.

That statement implies that Sony plans to make and ship at least 12.5 million PS5 units on top of the 10.1 million it shipped through the end of June (10 million of which had sold through to consumers by July 18). That production rate would only be about 4 percent faster than the roughly 44,000 units per day Sony shipped on average in the system's first 7.5 months on the market. That's despite a February statement from Sony Interactive Entertainment President Jim Ryan suggesting that supply chain improvements would mean "by the time we get to the second half of [2021], you’re going to be seeing really decent [PS5 production] numbers indeed."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...may-not-be-the-main-reason-for-ps5-shortages/

So shortages are expected to continue, driven mostly by demand?

I don't recall shortages on previous consoles while they were shipping their first 20 million units. Why is demand so great for this generation, which is pretty modest a jump?

So shortages are expected to continue, driven mostly by demand?

I don't recall shortages on previous consoles while they were shipping their first 20 million units. Why is demand so great for this generation, which is pretty modest a jump?
Covid boost is still in effect

People forget that once COVID hit in early 2020 none of the last gen consoles were in stock either. It will take it awhile before all that demand is fully met.

Tommy McClain

Why is demand so great for this generation, which is pretty modest a jump?

Corona virus probably has something to do with it. Demand has been increasing alot in all hardware markets it seems. Average Joe probably dont care about the modest jump in hardware/graphics.

Some Pc gamers also probably move their pc upgrade money to PS5 due to ridiculous prices of pc parts especially the gpu. So they can play PS5/4 exclusives and still play multiplatform games on their current pc and PS5

They should have called PS5: PS4 Director's Cut. How come almost every big game is a remake of a PS4 game lol? Demon Souls, Spider-Man MM, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding ....

It's hilarious that Sony was all about generations in their marketing, but now it's all about remakes and director's cuts.

Any day now they're going to announce a Last of Us 2 remastered. It's pretty hilarious when you think about it.

They should have called PS5: PS4 Director's Cut. How come almost every big game is a remake of a PS4 game lol? Demon Souls, Spider-Man MM, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding ....

It's hilarious that Sony was all about generations in their marketing, but now it's all about remakes and director's cuts.

Any day now they're going to announce a Last of Us 2 remastered. It's pretty hilarious when you think about it.
I do feel like this is fair criticism and everything, but this is the same Sony we've had since the PS3. How many collections and remasters of old games were on that console that were first party projects or IP? Ico/Shadow collection, God of war (Collection, Origins Collection, and Saga), Jak and Daxter Collection, Killzone Collection, and Sly Cooper Trilogy just off the top of my head. This is the content business, and the most popular content has already been created. That's why all those movies that got released on VHS later got DVD and Bluray releases. Because people want them.

Also some of the biggest anticipated games are sequels, like Horizon Zero Dawn.

But that's been the case in movies and games, big franchises spewing out sequels.

Won't there be new Madden, FIFA, Halo, Forza sequels on the Xbox?

Why doesn't MS re-release new versions of hits with new assets to show improved graphics on new consoles?

Why doesn't MS re-release new versions of hits with new assets to show improved graphics on new consoles?

They have done that for free with no need to charge consumers more money under the guise of remaster or directors cut editions. They started when they've had OneX Enhanced patches and some have Series Optimized patches. It's handled via Smart Delivery, so the consumers get the best edition available on their hardware.

But that's a topic for a different discussion.

You’re stretching … MM isn’t a remake at all. Ghost of Tsushima is one of those cross generation expansion packs and is pretty normal. We got a Last of Us Remastered last generation too. Last generation it was worse, and more necessary, because of the broken backwards compatibility between PS4 and PS3. This generation has tonnes of games that still work and even then there are way more free patches, and you got a big set of free PS4 games with your PS5, several of which got free patches as well. And then there are still some proper exclusives like Returnal and Ratchet and Clank (and Miles Morales, which again is *not* a remake, but you got the graphics update to the original Spider-Man game with it for free) and these are really good games. And then you also got the really awesome Astrobot game included on the PS5 as well.

In my view in this respect Sony is doing great on the software front.

Back