Windows 10 [2018]

Funny story, I bought a USB X-Fi 5.1 back in the WinVista days because I upgraded systems and the new motherboard onboard sound SUCKED compared to my prior setup. Tons of electrical noise interference, tinny audio, blah-de-blah. I love having the volume knob with a clickable mute function right under my monitor, to the point where I'm not sure I ever want to go back :D

Yeah, I've been using USB audio ever since I moved from speakers to headphones ~15 years ago. Asus Essence One for general use, e-mu 0404 USB or line6 podx3 live if I'm playing guitar, and a little Fiio Q1 USB for reasons I can't remember. My last sound card was an X-Fi music PCI.

Funny story, I bought a USB X-Fi 5.1 back in the WinVista days because I upgraded systems and the new motherboard onboard sound SUCKED compared to my prior setup. Tons of electrical noise interference, tinny audio, blah-de-blah. I love having the volume knob with a clickable mute function right under my monitor, to the point where I'm not sure I ever want to go back :D

sometimes bad audio quality indicates there's something wrong with the motherboard, or the power supply, or the grounding, or the electricity installation in the house.

and, yes, onboard audio usually sound worse than USB. Even a cheap generic USB sound dongle sounds better hahaha.

but i guess nowadays more and more people use digital audio (HDMI/DP/DVI-D) for audio. Windows also have dolby atmos for free. Although in my case and a few other people, it never work. thus requiring to use old dolby digital via hacked registry keys.

Windows 365 Cloud PC costs 18 to 148 euros per month (guru3d.com)
Microsoft has begun providing Windows 365 subscriptions for cloud-based personal computers. This costs a minimum of EUR 18.20 / 24 USD per month per user and a maximum of EUR 147.50 / 162 USD per month per user, depending on the setup. In addition, there are limits or fees associated with data flow.
Windows 365 is touted by Microsoft as a "cloud PC," which allows you to stream programs and documents to any device you have access to. This should, for example, provide a solution for employees who wish to log in from their home computer to a computer that is located at the company's headquarters. Windows 365 may be accessed from a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices.
It costs 18.20 euros per month per user for the lowest subscription plan. There will be 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage capacity available in this configuration. The prices rise in direct proportion to the expansion of these settings. 147.50 euros per month is required for the most costly plan, which includes 32 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage.

im confused. it seems there are 2 different things enabled with windows 365

- remote desktop ("employees who wish to log in from their home computer to a computer that is located at the company's headquarters")
- cloud desktop ("It costs 18.20 euros per month per user for the lowest subscription plan. There will be 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage capacity available in this configuration. The prices rise in direct proportion to the expansion of these settings. 147.50 euros per month is required for the most costly plan, which includes 32 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage.")

or there's no remote desktop for "employees who wish to log in from their home computer to a computer that is located at the company's headquarters"? and there's just cloud desktop?

or there's no remote desktop for "employees who wish to log in from their home computer to a computer that is located at the company's headquarters"? and there's just cloud desktop?
For most employees who login from home they would likely be using virtual desktops that already have access to 365 (virtual office) through corporate volume licensing programs. Based on what I read, some home users who purchased 365 on their home computers (via article pricing model) might be granted access to corporate 365 cloud networks.

Not sure how much access companies will give employees using corporate software (365, etc...) for personal use, and if they did there would also be corporate monitoring privacy issues.

Will be interesting to see Win12 subscription pricing breakout.:cry:

Last edited:
im confused. it seems there are 2 different things enabled with windows 365

- remote desktop ("employees who wish to log in from their home computer to a computer that is located at the company's headquarters")
- cloud desktop ("It costs 18.20 euros per month per user for the lowest subscription plan. There will be 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage capacity available in this configuration. The prices rise in direct proportion to the expansion of these settings. 147.50 euros per month is required for the most costly plan, which includes 32 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage.")

If the company is setup to provide remote desktop over the internet then that will still be there. That isn't something that this service is necessarily addressing.

This is about a cloud based Windows installation that can be accessed from any device. It's similar to the above, but for a corporation, instead of having that hardware on site or hosted at their own cost at a data center to provide remote desktop access, the hardware is hosted by MS on their servers.

In theory, this means that a corporation can avoid the costly hardware upgrade (where upgrade means purchase new PCs) cycle as basically anything that can access the internet will be good enough to "run" whatever is being licensed. So, for example, if a basic PC for an employee in X department is "upgraded" every 4 years with a 1,000 USD PC (not including service contracts or software installations) + display cost (which is likely purchased on separate cycles), they can greatly reduce that PC purchase cost by providing lower performance hardware on longer upgrade cycles. And they don't have to worry as much about the security requirements of locking down all of their local infrastructure in order to provide worker's remote access to machines holding sensitive information (assuming they trust MS to be able to securely hold that same information). In theory this could also allow them to reduce their internal IT support staff for more cost savings.

It's basically something that is targeted at the unique needs in the corporate/business sector and not something that is meant for the consumer market. It's likely also something that is far more attractive to businesses and corporations (now rather than 2-3 years ago) considering the increased prevalence of working from home and the potential security headaches (and costs to implement that security) combined with the increased infrastructure cost to support employees working remotely. Something some business sectors were already somewhat prepared for, but for many other business sectors came as a huge shock during the pandemic.

Regards,
SB

uh... any idea with this issue?

laptop, bitlocked has been disabled, motherboard replaced.

bitlocker enabled, cmd bitlocker status says 100%, but not locked and windows modern control panel says bitlocker "suspended" until restart.

restart, and it still says suspended.

EDIT: tpm control panel says "device health attestation isn't supported on this device"

EDIT2: launched a bios update that refused to run because already in latest version. Reboot, and now "attestation" is available.

Currently still encrypting the disk. finger crossed everything will be fine

EDIT3; the encryption progress is stuck, only increase 0.1% after reboot and another 0.1% after i deleted 50GB games

EDIT4
these commands makes the progress moves

manage-bcd c: -pause
manage-bcd c: -resume

Last edited:
uh... any idea with this issue?

laptop, bitlocked has been disabled, motherboard replaced.

bitlocker enabled, cmd bitlocker status says 100%, but not locked and windows modern control panel says bitlocker "suspended" until restart.

restart, and it still says suspended.

EDIT: tpm control panel says "device health attestation isn't supported on this device"

EDIT2: launched a bios update that refused to run because already in latest version. Reboot, and now "attestation" is available.

Currently still encrypting the disk. finger crossed everything will be fine

EDIT3; the encryption progress is stuck, only increase 0.1% after reboot and another 0.1% after i deleted 50GB games

EDIT4
these commands makes the progress moves

manage-bcd c: -pause
manage-bcd c: -resume

Are you encrypting everything or only used space ? (you have the option when you start the process) I've seen some cases where "only used space" "unstuck" the process.

2nd question, do you see some event id 24665 in the event journals ?

me and my weird issues again.

Anyone have any idea why USB transfer speed took a nosedive after ~30 minutes of continuous file transfer?

* it doesn't matter if it was transferring at max source speed (e.g. copy to SSD) or less than half of max source speed (e.g. copy to slow USB flash drive)
* USB HDDs has been tested on other computer and they work fine

My suspicion is USB controller overheating... currently trying to fix this by vacuuming the vents, and placing a desk fan on it

EDIT:
that's fixed it. so it seems it was an overheating issue.

probably due to air temperature in my place hovers at 34 degrees celsius nowadays

Last edited:
Yes I want to be able to hilight where the text cursor position is, exactly like with the mouse position hilighter.
I did install the powertools though, ta for the heads up. The bulk image resizer function will be useful ATM I use gimp to do this but it often craps out with TIFF images

press a key, where the letters show up is where you cursor is
well done you win a prize :LOL:

found this, though I sort of only want it when I press a keyboard shortcut and not constantly on.
But I think I'll just leave it on

Why they can't simply designate it like they used to instead of a single line is beyond me.

found this
Oh super :)
Finding cursor on a 42" 4k can be pretty hard lol.

Edit: for finding the mouse I think I prefer the one in Additional Mouse Options -> Pointer Options 'show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key'

Back