Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avengers or red dead redemption 2 really had bad, bad CBR implementations.

Generally 60 fps reduce the pixel movement from frame to frame. E.g. if you use the previous 5 frames you have 6x 33ms of motion in your calculation at 30 fps, but with 60fps you just have 6x 16ms of motion. So you have more matching pixels. Well in theory. You can still have a bad implementation.
Gow 4k cb on ps5 60fps looks exactly same as on ps4pro but in movement thanks to 60fps is just better as all games 60fps vs 30, I think too much theory in this statement that cb in 60 is so much better than in 30

Xbox Series X in the 60fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2400x1800. Xbox Series X in the 60fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 2240x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode. Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution. Xbox Series S in the 60fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1536x900. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common on Xbox Series S when in the 60fps mode. Xbox Series S in the 60fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox Series S in the 120fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 1536x900 and the lowest resolution found being 960x540. Native resolution pixel counts seem to usually be below 1280x720 on Xbox Series S when in the 120fps mode. Xbox Series S in the 120fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution. Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2240x1800. Xbox One X uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1120x900. Xbox One S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using Variable Rate Shading which can result in some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame.
Stats: https://bit.ly/378Ydlk

The version tested was 1.3114.44.0.

The minor frame rate drops when running in the 60fps mode on the Xbox Series consoles were only found in some matches. The severity of the frame pacing issues on the Xbox One consoles varied without an obvious cause.

Xbox Series X in the 60fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2400x1800. Xbox Series X in the 60fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 2240x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode. Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

Xbox Series S in the 60fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1536x900. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common on Xbox Series S when in the 60fps mode. Xbox Series S in the 60fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series S in the 120fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 1536x900 and the lowest resolution found being 960x540. Native resolution pixel counts seem to usually be below 1280x720 on Xbox Series S when in the 120fps mode. Xbox Series S in the 120fps mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2240x1800. Xbox One X uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1120x900.

Xbox One S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using Variable Rate Shading which can result in some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame.

Xbox Series X and Xbox One X have performance and quality modes available but there doesn't appear to be a difference between them at the moment. The 120fps modes are accessible by setting the Xbox Series consoles to output at 120hz.
Screenshot-20210802-175705-01.jpg

Stats

I find it impossible to believe that Xbox One X couldn't do 1080p/60hz. Even if it has to reconstruct that 1080p like the One S. It should be an option for One X owners.

I would like to have a target framerate setting. So you could target 60, 90, 120, whatever you want if you had a VRR display.
Then the resolution can scale when it's >15% either side of target.

I find it impossible to believe that Xbox One X couldn't do 1080p/60hz. Even if it has to reconstruct that 1080p like the One S. It should be an option for One X owners.
May not be about gpu but other aspects like cpu.

Said its using VRS, I'd be more intrested to hear if its using SFS especially for campaign. XSS would then be able to get decent texture resolution to even match 1X.

May not be about gpu but other aspects like cpu.

Then a 40 or 45hz option should be available.
The One X has capabilities that have largely been ignored its entire existence. From third parties, that's understandable. But not from Studio #1 at Microsoft.

Based on what I have seen so far on PC - I do not think the game is at all optimised in this tech preview. Like... not at all. Resolution or performance needs to be perspectivised with that in mind - final game will be different.
Yea it's not at all. I get 50-60% GPU utilization regardless of how high I push the resolution. (2080ti) If I drop to low quality settings and set the min FPS to my monitors refresh rate (160) I'm still only utilizing 60% of my GPU and the FPS are generally around 80-90fps.

There's no way this game releases like this on PC.

They did say the technical test flighting build is over 2 months old, so keep that in mind. They would have about 4 months more of improvements and optimizations to go through.

They did say the technical test flighting build is over 2 months old, so keep that in mind. They would have about 4 months more of improvements and optimizations to go through.
That's true... but this is a game that was supposed to launch a year ago almost... The Tech preview should have been in a better state than this on PC.

Consoles seem fine.. so they obviously put priority there. I'm sure the PC version will be nice and smooth when it releases... but this wasn't the greatest first impression for the PC gamers out there.

Halo Infinite on XSX: ~91% of frames at 120fps. For a static resolution the 4K target is way too high on Xbox Series X. They should use DRS or reduce the static resolution.

On the other hand XSS is perfectly fine at 1080p with ~99% of frames at 120fps.

EDIT: apparently they already use a dynamic resolution on Xbox series. Well as 1080p seems the most common res found on XSX they should lower the minimum resolution at 900p because XSS seems fine at 540p so it's not the CPU. 900p does make sense because 1080p is 4x 540p and XSX GPU is only 3x stronger than XSS GPU.

Last edited:
That's true... but this is a game that was supposed to launch a year ago almost... The Tech preview should have been in a better state than this on PC.

Consoles seem fine.. so they obviously put priority there. I'm sure the PC version will be nice and smooth when it releases... but this wasn't the greatest first impression for the PC gamers out there.
Regarding performance.
In the end 343 said exactly what these flights entail and considering what you needed to go through to get in, you should know what your in for.

In terms of general perception from people not taking part in the flights. I'm not too sure how much it matters as it just needs to impress closer to actual release when it gets actual reviews.

There are performance and quality modes on the last gen Xboxes that currently does nothing.

Regarding performance.
In the end 343 said exactly what these flights entail and considering what you needed to go through to get in, you should know what your in for.

In terms of general perception from people not taking part in the flights. I'm not too sure how much it matters as it just needs to impress closer to actual release when it gets actual reviews.
Changes nothing. I'm not stupid, I can differentiate between a tech preview meant to stress certain aspects of the servers and to find potential mass scale bugs that they haven't fixed or identified yet. Which is exactly why I said I'm sure that future flights and the final release will be much improved. Of course it will be.

That said... this is our first impressions of the game running on our hardware... the game was supposed to be out already for almost a year... and I'm simply giving an honest opinion and reaction to what was provided.

I put 10h into the preview this weekend and it's fair to say that I freaking LOVE it. I've did my fair share of reporting bugs and pointing out issues I'd like to see addressed. I did the same with MCC and will continue to help them make these games the best they can be.

Wait, do we have people sharing 'youtubers' doing technical reviews on beta games to judge performance? Hmpff, it aint the DF thread (for gods sake DF has its own thread here), but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back