AMD: RDNA 3 Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh I'd argue the iPad is a gaming device of sorts.

Completely agree. A very capable one at that too (as well as any iPhone from the past 5 years).

Look, things like this just dont belong here. He seems to mind whenever anything NV pops up but misses all the PS5 (RDNA2-ish) stuff landing here in the RDNA3 thread.

Pretty sure the PS5 GPU is RDNA2.
Furthermore, discussions on RDNA2 are entirely relevant when discussing RDNA3.

Pretty sure the PS5 GPU is RDNA2.
Furthermore, discussions on RDNA2 are entirely relevant when discussing RDNA3.

Well, then any GPU could potentionally be discussed here. Anyway, as per the topic title, neither NV nor PS5 has much to do with RDNA3 speculations. But ye if its all ok then we'l happily keep discussing playstation 5 here, i dont really mind it, aslong as the mods dont have to create new topics and move things over all the time.

You mean higher res gfx needs more CPU power up to the point the CPU throttles?
Which gfx CPU workloads depend on resolution? Animation stays the same, culling (if still on CPU) should have no big effect either?

I've got a 3080 and it's pretty common for me to be cpu-limited at 1440p with high/ultra settings, but I only have a ryzen 3600x. Really comes down to how your pc is built. I do think new games will start coming out where high/ultra will mean I'm almost always gpu limited.

Not sure.
Big APUs are a fairly niche product for PC markets at large.
It's niche because:
1. We never had a big APU at all for PCs.
2. Discrete GPUs had an entry level and were affordable.
3. iGPU were assumed to be not powerful in general.

All 3 points could change right now, reducing costs of a gaming PC to one half, with perf. good enough for all games of actual generation.
Smaller margins, but much higher volume. This is mainstream. High end is the true niche.
Both AMD and Intel could do it easily. NV would have a hard time, although Windows can already run on ARM.
The only reason i see why AMD is not doing this is non competition agreement with console makers.
I mean, people want to upgrade, but they can't. And for the next round they should work more than a month just to afford a monster GPU?
They won't play this game for long. Even mobile games become the better option, or just quit. And both Lisa and Jen-Hsun loose.

The other option i see is make RDNA2 / Ampere the entry level after next architectures are out, at entry level pricing.
But on the long run discrete GPU is just too expensive, bulky, power hungry and old school.

The ones hanging off the mainline DDR bus won't ever be that.
Which is exactly what this AMD salvage mainboard solves, no?
Problem is, we have nice laptops or SteamBoys which can play some game. We have impressive high end for enthusiasts.
But the sweet spot in the middle, which would be mainstream is empty.

It's niche because:
1. We never had a big APU at all for PCs.
2. Discrete GPUs had an entry level and were affordable.
3. iGPU were assumed to be not powerful in general.

All 3 points could change right now, reducing costs of a gaming PC to one half, with perf. good enough for all games of actual generation.
Smaller margins, but much higher volume. This is mainstream. High end is the true niche.
Both AMD and Intel could do it easily. NV would have a hard time, although Windows can already run on ARM.
The only reason i see why AMD is not doing this is non competition agreement with console makers.
I mean, people want to upgrade, but they can't. And for the next round they should work more than a month just to afford a monster GPU?
They won't play this game for long. Even mobile games become the better option, or just quit. And both Lisa and Jen-Hsun loose.

The other option i see is make RDNA2 / Ampere the entry level after next architectures are out, at entry level pricing.
But on the long run discrete GPU is just too expensive, bulky, power hungry and old school.
Big APUs would require new platforms.

The GPU is gonna be bandwidth starved unless you find a way to feed it.

But, broadly, I would agree — I think there would be sufficient market demand for an APU with serious GPU and CPU grunt.

Presumably this is where big LLC's will help enormously though.
DDR5 is supposed to go up to 8400MT/s and LPDDR5X up to 8533MT/s.
An AM5 motherboard with DDR5 8400MT/s should provide up to 134GB/s, which if paired with a decent amount of V-cache could be good enough for Navi 14 performance, I guess.
The problem would be that performance would probably vary a lot between the different memory speeds that the consumer could choose (just like we see with Renoir and Cezanne)

Perhaps our only hope for mid-range GPUs is Intel. If they price their DG2 at say $300 then we'll have a winner (for us consumers), and the massive majority of DIYs definitely won't care if it's pushing 80% more watts than a similarly performing 3060 or RX 6600XT.

Friendly guidance... Can we keep this thread about the technology of RDNA3? Maybe how it differs or remains the same based off RDNA2 architecture? I think we can do without bringing in cross platform comparisons, like how PC platforms without a budget limit is so much more performant than consoles; there's other places for those ad nauseum topics.

DDR5 is supposed to go up to 8400MT/s and LPDDR5X up to 8533MT/s.
An AM5 motherboard with DDR5 8400MT/s should provide up to 134GB/s, which if paired with a decent amount of V-cache could be good enough for Navi 14 performance, I guess.
The problem would be that performance would probably vary a lot between the different memory speeds that the consumer could choose (just like we see with Renoir and Cezanne)

I wonder if quad channel setups would be feasible as well? Not sure how much that adds to the cost of the motherboard but since the consoles are using them I assume it's not an extreme amount.

One of the strengths of the PC platform used to be it's modularity. It enabled relatively cheap entry with extension parts making the machine fit for a plethora of duties. The more we centralize this, the higher the barrier of entry.
Even those who won't need a massive APU or multi-channel RAM will have to pay for it if becomes the new norm.

That's btw. quite contrarian to what AMD does with it's chiplet designs which will be an integral part of the N3x generation. I would welcome flexible configurations, with cost depending on individual needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back