The AMD Execution Thread [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems raw Radeon shipped volume dropped significantly throughout 2020, which goes against AMD's story of the situation being demand exceeding supply. They ARE primarily supply constrained.
not really....
I like how your so one sided in your agenda is........
AMD have gone from having only small low end chips , to pretty much only big high end chips.
They would of had projections for how many of those they would have sold.
They will also have a total production silicon budget.
Then look and AMD's ASP's , margins , etc

So when you actually consider all components together, it is perfectly feasible that AMD made the decision to transition to low volume high margin / higher cost products at the same time demand exploded, which would make their statements 100% correct and you wrong.

AMD GPUs are supply constrained, but so are Nvidia's. I imagine it would be quite a bit different without the crypto although 20/80 split would probably be the same and would result in a similar supply situation.

AMD GPUs are supply constrained, but so are Nvidia's. I imagine it would be quite a bit different without the crypto although 20/80 split would probably be the same and would result in a similar supply situation.
I'm not at all sure about that, but I ain't sure you're wrong either. There's just been too many non-technical variables the last year to truly understand why the situation is as horrible as it still is all around. :(

Do you think they would have increased market share by increasing prices ?
Doubtful.

Would AMD have lost more market share with higher prices?

What does a survey of 100 people with a Masters in Business Administration say about all this stuff? :p

Apparently AMD's market share in discrete laptop GPUs can only go up because it is/was about zero...

Forgive me, english is not my native language, but isn't that the same? Demand exceeding supply does mean, you are supply constrained, no?

The issue is really in terms of the specifics with respect to where the demand to supply imbalance falls on. Language, especially English, is very "useful" in being able to provide information without really providing information.

A factory capable of producing 20 widgets a week with demand of say a demand of 20 widgets a week. But the following occurs -

1) Demand rises to 30 widgets a week. Production stays at 20 a week.
2) Demand rises to 25 widgets a week. Production drops to 15 a week.
3) Demand stays at 20 a week. Production drops to 10 a week.
4) Demand drops to 15 a week. Production drops to 5 a week.

All 4 cases are an undersupply of 10 widgets a week. The implications however are very different.

I've noticed this issue a lot when people over the last year or with respect to discussions involving this topic. Due to how the language is used it's unclear how much of the problem is with respect to demand vs. supply. This can also be used advantageously as the parties involved don't want to be specific with regards to what the actual scenario is.

The issue is really in terms of the specifics with respect to where the demand to supply imbalance falls on. Language, especially English, is very "useful" in being able to provide information without really providing information.

A factory capable of producing 20 widgets a week with demand of say a demand of 20 widgets a week. But the following occurs -

1) Demand rises to 30 widgets a week. Production stays at 20 a week.
2) Demand rises to 25 widgets a week. Production drops to 15 a week.
3) Demand stays at 20 a week. Production drops to 10 a week.
4) Demand drops to 15 a week. Production drops to 5 a week.

All 4 cases are an undersupply of 10 widgets a week. The implications however are very different.

I've noticed this issue a lot when people over the last year or with respect to discussions involving this topic. Due to how the language is used it's unclear how much of the problem is with respect to demand vs. supply. This can also be used advantageously as the parties involved don't want to be specific with regards to what the actual scenario is.

You forgot to mention some other scenarios.

Lets you start out supply constrained at 40 widgets a week of demand with a supply of 20 widgets a week.
  1. Demand remains at 40 widgets a week but you can now supply 30 widgets a week due to an increase in production.
  2. Demand drops to 35 widgets a week but you can now supply 30 widgets a week due to an increase in production.
  3. Demand has increased to 100 widgets a week while supply is now 80 widgets a week due to an increase in production.
Those are the opposite of your scenarios, since even though supply has increased (instead of decreased), they are still supply constrained.

Being supply constrained doesn't necessarily mean that production is being reduced. All it tells us is that demand exceeds supply, but gives us no information about the following
  • What is the current production level?
  • What is the current demand level?
  • Has production increased or decreased in the past X period of time?
  • Has demand increased or decreased in the past X period of time?
This doesn't have anything to do with the impreciseness of the English language as the same exact non-specific information can be conveyed in all languages. If they wished to be precise they could be, but they don't because it could give away key information to their competitors.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1684...ngs-companywide-growth-drives-doubled-revenue

AMD Reports Q2 2021 Earnings: Company-wide Growth Drives Doubled Revenue

AMD_Stock_Q2-21_678x452.png

nice :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back