Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

Last time I checked CUDA and OpenCL aren't the same, so not apples-to-apples like they claim
The review is using exactly what the IHV's expect customers to use when working with an application. OpenCL is doing fine in the Classroom GPU Rendering Project.

Edit: The Viewport tests (Material Preview, Solid & Wireframe) should show a testing environment more to your liking.

Last edited:
The review is using exactly what the IHV's expect customers to use when working with an application. OpenCL is doing fine in the Classroom GPU Rendering Project.

Edit: The Viewport tests (Material Preview, Solid & Wireframe) should show a testing environment more to your liking.
I didn't say they shouldn't have used those, just that it's not apples to apples like they claimed.

I didn't say they shouldn't have used those, just that it's not apples to apples like they claimed.

I suppose it could be apples to apples in terms of the user. The user wants to render a model or scene out in blender. If the end product on the screen is the same, then the api doesn't really matter. They just need to know which is better for their productivity. I only skimmed the article so I don't know if there are differences in terms of the end product when using cuda on nvidia vs opencl on amd.

CUDA probably gives a performance boost because it's likely far more efficient and optimized than OpenCL. That's still a fair comparison though because Nvidia have put in a lot more resources over many years to build those libraries, whereas AMD hasn't. Provided of course the benchmark is about what performance you would expect in Blender rather than specifically benchmarking the type of workload to compare purely how fast fp32 is on both architectures as an example.

Amazon's New World is bricking RTX 3090 graphics cards

Reports on the New World subreddit indicate that trying to launch New World while using an RTX 3090 will cause it to completely fry, forcing those impacted to contact manufacturers for refunds or replacements. The issue seems to be affecting EVGA RTX 3090 cards more than other GPUs, though it's worth noting that people who use other versions of the 3090 have reported problems with overheating and dangerous power spikes.

https://www.windowscentral.com/amazons-new-world-bricking-rtx-3090-graphics-cards

check out the reddit thread:

Last edited:
That's a lot of people playing some random MMO on their 3090s.
That’s the point that a few of us were making in one of the other threads.

A lot of people who spend thousands on a PC don’t necessarily play AAA high-fidelity graphics video games. Likewise, a lot of people that play on consoles, like the Nintendo Switch, are hardcore gamers.

Let me guess, the main menu is uncapped and it was operating at a bazillion fps.

Yeah, uncapped main menu and 3090 OC cards that are factory OC'd to the max are dying.

This is the main reason I don't buy factory OC'd cards. I'm fine with a slightly slower stock clocked card. :p

That's a lot of people playing some random MMO on their 3090s.

Not a random MMO. It's basically the only big anticipated western MMO coming out. This one is being made by Amazon Games.

Currently WoW is dying due to Blizzards actions, and so FFXIV is exploding and a lot of MMO players have been really looking forward to trying out New World.

So a perfect storm where there's a LOT of interest in the game among millions of MMORPG gamers. Whether it'll grab a large chunk of those players or not will depend on how good it is. FFXIV, for example, has already gotten a massive chunk of those players in the past year due to WoW dying combined with Covid.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yeah, uncapped main menu and 3090 OC cards that are factory OC'd to the max are dying.
You can limit the max fps in the control panel (in case someone doesnt know)
sW17Fnv.jpg

Last edited:
You can limit the max fps in the control panel
sW17Fnv.jpg

Yup, but most people nowadays never go into the control panel. This is especially true for people that just buy the best hardware they can just to play an MMO. They'll often buy the top of the line hardware because they then expect it to last them 4-5 years, so they don't mind the high cost of hardware that likely isn't going to be fully utilized by the game.

Lots of people in my guild who have Titan's, 3090's, Ti's, etc. (so a lot of the hardware just sits there doing nothing) and the only game they play is FFXIV. Although some people were either thinking of leaving the game to play New World or playing New World in between FFXIV patches.

Regards,
SB

some people were either thinking of leaving the game to play New World
New World Beta Bricking GeForce 3090 GPUs?

A thread on Reddit has reports from gamers who have found their RTX 3090 graphics cards bricked after playing the closed beta of New World, Amazon's upcoming MMORPG. Sorting through them it seems the problem may primarily affect EVGA 3090s.
I just bricked a 3090 in the main menu after setting my graphics quality to medium and hitting save. Cant believe it. Anyone else had a catastrophic failure like this? I've been playing cyberpunk 3090 on Ultra for months, so this really doesn't make sense.

Anybody else joining the RMA club?

- i7 8700k @ 4.5ghz

- Seasonic 850W 80+ titanium

- EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra (ded version)

- 32GB of Corsair Vengeance

Well. Think this just happened to me. Display went out while in queue. Now I can’t get the display to come back on. But GPU fans run on max when I power on my PC for some reason.

Edit: it’s an EVGA 3090 FTW3

Edit 2: welp, starting the RMA process. I have a red light over the 4-pin which after some googling seems to suggest I need to RMA. This actually needs more visibility. I honestly read these posts about people having “bricked” cards before playing and blew it off as them having some other issue. Count me in as a total believer now.

Back