[Alpha Point] - UE5 Tech Demo for Xbox Series X|S

LiveGamer

Newcomer
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/events/see-our-full-developer-day-schedule-for-gdc-2021

Presented by Kate Rayner, Studio Technical Director and Colin Penty, Technical Art Director at The Coalition

Catch the public debut of Alpha Point, a UE5 technical demo created by The Coalition to evaluate UE5 on the Xbox Series X/S. Hear what the team learned as they tested internal Nanite assets in Lumen-driven lighting scenarios, as well as their thoughts on how UE5’s performance and memory stacks up in Xbox Series X and S-style production environments.

Watch the talk live at 1:20 PM - 2:20 PM PDT.

body-gdc-alphapoint-1920x1080-610cfa10aa89.jpg

I'm quite interested in seeing what kind of visuals UE5 can push out of the Series S.

I would imagine something like the next Gears running on UE5 would have the same texture quality and assets between both Series platforms, but the resolution on Series S would of course take a major hit (1080p-900p/60fps) and possibly limited or no RT as well.

I would imagine something like the next Gears running on UE5 would have the same texture quality and assets between both Series platforms, but the resolution on Series S would of course take a major hit (1080p-900p/60fps) and possibly limited or no RT as well.

They'd probably drop the texture quality? Have to squeeze into that dinky SSD after all!

Also with UE5, given they're between 1080-1440p upscale on XSX, a question with XSS is how low do they go, and how soft will it look?

And who will care when it's running on xCloud on a 5" to 6" screen running at 720p? ;)

Tommy McClain

Nooo. Not more rocks! :D
I assume this is just a pisstake joke.

And not everyone was wowed with the ue5 demo so lets show something visually nearly the same, like what recently happened when we saw raytraced reflection puddles show up, ppl went wow. So companies jump on the hot new thing bandwagon.

marketing - 'we need puddles to show off the reflections, like it just finished raining 5 minutes ago'
designers - 'but the game takes place on the desert planet mars'
marketting - ' ah here you come up with details, just work them in right'

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-...g-game-devs-tough-challenges?OCID=AID3029701&
"Alpha Point" Technical Demo features real-time demonstrations of Unreal Engine 5 on Xbox Series X|S including the implementation of next-gen features such as Nanite, which allows for unlimited triangle budget, and Lumen, which allows fully real-time lighting with none of the traditional overhead tasks. In addition, The Coalition will share a real-time character rendering test on Xbox Series X and their preliminary findings on next-gen character creation with Metahuman. This technical talk offers first-hand, in-depth lessons for developers looking to achieve the best real-time results from Unreal Engine 5.
Picture1.jpg

It probably won't, otherwise they would have mentioned the DX12U featureset by now.
Have they talked again about what the session is going to include, apart from the initial tweet and session description?

I'm not getting my hopes up, but given they specifically say it's in regards to XS consoles for me that can cover memory, gpu spec, XVA, VRS 2.
Apart from that your just talking generally.
But it's still very much early days.

Back