Putting old gpus / graphic cards in a good light on a shelf

Ok so if you return a product it's ok for the company to exchange it for another that is 20% of the value ?

Ok so if you return a product it's ok for the company to exchange it for another that is 20% of the value ?

Your £300 bought you the right to a graphics card with the performance and specifications of a GTX260.

I didn't buy you a £300 gift card that you can redeem whenever you please at some arbitrary point in the future.

If the company offers you a like-for-like replacement then that is entirely reasonable.

Depreciation is a thing. If you've been around PCs for as long as you say you have you know this already.

You buy a performance bracket, it not that complicated.
Your performance bracket degrades over time.
Just like buying a car...it's value drops and you can seldom resell at pruchase value...the older the card...the less value.

But we are not talking about reselling I wouldnt be selling the gpu back to evga,
Imagine they had no cheap cards would it be ok for them to say sorry we dont have a suitable replacement so will you accept 20% of your purchase price - Hell no

But we are not talking about reselling I wouldnt be selling the gpu back to evga,
Imagine they had no cheap cards would it be ok for them to say sorry we dont have a suitable replacement so will you accept 20% of your purchase price - Hell no

You always get RMA to match the performance bracket, not price as long as I can remember back.
Your SKU does not live in a vacuum where value just stays the same, disregarding inflation and age.

It loses monetary value pretty much at the same rate as it drops in its performance bracket.

I think Davros just wants that to be what every one thinks so he feels better arguing for it. Good luck on the quest if you ever get there. Who knows, but honestly the cheapest cards now are probably an upgrade so no real loss. Btw this is normal in other industries as well, but it isn't as easy to match a new model sometimes without simple benchmarks. For example on a bike frame you would likely get one with similar weight and travel.

No, "lifetime warranty" typically means "for the lifetime of the product". Which is also, incidentally, why a product's support cycle ending is referred to as "end of life".

Once the product's lifespan is over, it's not under warranty anymore.

It's still a fair sight longer than the typical 1-3 year warranty, but it's insane bordering on raw stupidity to expect a warranty to be honoured *decades* after the fact.

And the lifetime of a product ends when it dies which could be anything
looking on the forum someone's just rma'd a 7900
Funny enough I have a frying pan with a lifetime guarantee and I asked if that meant forever and was told "Yes"

Last edited:
a frying pan isn't comparable to an electronic product and you know it, lmao.

Lifetime of a product means its support cycle. For example, nVidia just announced end-of-life for some of their older cards (the geforce gtx 700 series and older).

The guarantee was a lifetime guarantee not a lifetime of the product guarantee
the 7900gs is end of life (2006) and yet someone was able to rma it after 15 years

Last edited:
The guarantee was a lifetime guarantee not a lifetime of the product guarantee
the 7900gs is end of life (2006) and yet someone was able to rma it after 15 years

again, "lifetime guarantee" implies life of product.

I'm betting that 7900GS was probably RMA'd for the same card, btw. Not for a newer fucking card lmao.

The point was it was still rma'd which demonstrates it's not lifetime of the product since the lifetime of the product ended years ago
And if they dont have a 7900gs what do they do say sorry your $250 card is dead here have a $50 gt710 as a replacement it's about the same frame rates

The point was it was still rma'd which demonstrates it's not lifetime of the product since the lifetime of the product ended years ago
And if they dont have a 7900gs what do they do say sorry your $250 card is dead here have a $50 gt710 as a replacement it's about the same frame rates

Yes. Or they'll just say sorry but it's past end of life and there's nothing to replace it with because the product is considered 'dead' and unsupported.

And if that was the case they wouldnt have accepted the rma would they they'd just email him and say sorry but it's past end of life
just like if i had a card with a 5 year warrantee and tried to rma it after 10 years they'd say no...

Back