Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Yes, it's a starting point, not a turnkey solution. Apparently, they did some research into this area and then, for whatever reason, abandoned it.

Also AMD did not take this approach for FSR. I guess it has good reasons, not going that way for the hardware they are developing it for. Who know, maybe coming down from 60 to 16 ms was already much of the optimization possible when running this without specizalized hardware? Maybe we'll be seeing a revival of this approach with DirectML, once more hardware has the TFlops to spare.

I don't think single image based ML reconstruction would considered again because,
- it needs time and energy consuming training per game.
- result are not as accurate or detailed as temporal reconstruction.

For the records: I did not mean a literal revival, but generally a DirectML-based approach. I was hoping that would be clear from my previous post already, but apparently I was wrong.

So something not Open source and exclusive for MS consoles and gaming partners.
Well I imagine they're gonna try and integrate it behind DirectX. So not open source, but at least open to anybody who wants to use it and is on relevant platforms.

Which I'm fine with. If the competitive benefits of this strategy is what pushes them to invest more heavily in this technology, then that's a fair trade in my book. Everybody and their dog are working on 'reconstruction' for real time graphics, so it's not like MS is gonna have some monopoly here or anything.

Is it just me or is an "oversharpening" a new meta these days?
Don't know if I would draw too much in terms of trend from that game - assuming you're referring to the video of Chernobylite. It looks like a horribly optimized game all around, along with not looking visually impressive at all.

Red Dead Redemption 2 NVIDIA DLSS Update Out Now
red-dead-redemption-2-geforce-rtx-3840x2160-nvidia-dlss-directx12-performance.png

In RDR2 the built-in DLSS sharpening is forced on and cant be turned off without a hassle. It produces some noticeable haloing. Dunno why they chose to go this route, the game looks better without it imo.

To turn it off, you have to start the game, let it load for 5-10sec, then copy over the 2.1.40 developer .dll to the game dir and hit alt+ctrl+f7 when in game.

edit: actually to succesfully change the .dll it's easier just to disable auto-updates. Otherwise the game will try to download its own .dll file.

Last edited:
Is a 1.4-1.5x gain at 4k Performance significantly smaller than many other titles? It's usually closer to 2x with the 2060 getting more sometimes off the top of my head yet it's in that range consistently for every GPU. That seems quite unique, wonder what's going on there

F1 2021 at Technik-TÜV: The new raytracing effects and DLSS 2.2.9 under the microscope (pcgameshardware.de)
July 13, 2021
Nvidia's DLSS is quite different, which calculates more samples per frame both spatially and temporally: Everything looks much smoother, but also blurrier than with the engine's own TAA. Fine details are retained, but the "magical" reconstruction of lost subtleties, which can be admired in many other DLSS games, is missing.

We remember: DLSS always works internally with a reduced resolution. This has an impact on texture quality, because at lower resolutions, the same quality cannot be applied to all surfaces as at high resolution. In order to avoid flickering, so-called MIP maps are gradually displayed in games. These are texture versions with reduced resolution that merge smoothly into each other. This is exactly what happens with active DLSS earlier than with TAA, as the following comparison reveals. Nvidia's guideline for DLSS states that developers can customize the texture LOD, which wasn't done in F1 2021 – whether accidental or intentional, we don't know.
Unfortunately, developer Codemasters attaches great importance to good performance, which leads to visible savings in raytracing quality - both the shadows and the reflections could do with a higher resolution. Also, the game lacks a slider to control the quality of these upgrades, it only gives "on" or "off".

What is this streaming malarkey? Is that something I need to look into if I’m looking at PRO Gaming as a long term viable career option?

This is all very confusing news. I was enjoying ray tracing in Control, Metro and Doom and such but now I feel like I’ve been doing it wrong.

You mock being confused and feign at how many people buy their dGPU for performance...? Fail to even understand that many e-sports streamers don't even use g-sync, because sustained frames are what they need and why they paid $1k+ for a dGPU...!

Only people playing single player, savable, self-paced games, who play with one hand ...while the other is fondling their themselves over ray-traced water puddles, that they stop to admire... because performance simple doesn't matter to them, or their playstyle. Again, you would have to unanimously agree that most people upgrading their dGPU is for faster frames and performance, not for ray tracing. It is a simple point, to make. (Don't forget to laugh in the mirror.)

I really hope DLSS spurs a faster adoption of a more agnostic approach in the gaming industry. I think we all do.

Only people playing single player, savable, self-paced games, who play with one hand ...while the other is fondling their themselves over ray-traced water puddles, that they stop to admire... because performance simple doesn't matter to them, or their playstyle. Again, you would have to unanimously agree that most people upgrading their dGPU is for faster frames and performance, not for ray tracing. It is a simple point, to make. (Don't forget to laugh in the mirror.)
wtf

I uninstalled it, was really disappointed by the implementation and I already finished the game on PS4 :p

I might install it again if they fix the sharpening :yep2:

Don't you have a 3090? In which case why would you need DLSS at all in this game since it should be capable of pushing max settings, 4k and 60fps even without it. If you wanted to enjoy it again with better graphics, DLSS seems a bit superfluous on your GPU.

Back