Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

I wonder how long it'll be before neural network algorithms end up getting decompiled/reverse engineered and reimplemented by competing companies. Trying to imagine how you would present a software IP lawsuit to establish that one algorithm is copied from another without the presence of code composed of human-readable logical steps.

You would need an ML algorithm to show the likeness and similarities of the two ML algorithms. :LOL:

I wonder how long it'll be before neural network algorithms end up getting decompiled/reverse engineered and reimplemented by competing companies. Trying to imagine how you would present a software IP lawsuit to establish that one algorithm is copied from another without the presence of code composed of human-readable logical steps.

I think this is a huge topic and a complex issue. Of course, if you just copied the model it'd be obvious, as the data are identical. However, imagine someone copied a model, but did some additional trainings to make it a bit different, it's no longer obvious and the problem would be "how similar" two models are to be considered as copied.
It's, of course, not unlike plagiarism checks in music, texts, images, or even source codes, but they have long been discussed and have (kind of) accepted criteria. Interestingly, of course people are using ML to detect plagiarism. Maybe we'll need some ML to find plagiarism in ML? :D

You would need an ML algorithm to show the likeness and similarities of the two ML algorithms. :LOL:

Yeah, I was thinking you'd need ML to decompile, so presumably also ML to make the assessment. I guess the argument to a judge and/or jury would be similar to that of DNA evidence where you argue the probability of one being derived from another. IIRC they try to do that now (like with the Java case), but in those cases you at least have alternative avenues to quantity and qualify similarities, whereas with a NN you may have no other means than a statistical evaluation, which is problematic as you may have cases of convergent evolution where a seemingly novel solution is simply the optimal solution.

Is it random or merely a newer version? It'd be more weird if the version numbers on new updates indicated it's an older revision.

I wish the build numbers were a random guid as the last identifier; good luck trying to sort out which one is newer or older...

I wish, Nvidia would offer them as a separate download, so users don't have to share them with another, since here's always the chance of malicious intent.
It would not even have to be an official download, but just a constant URL for which you'd only have to know the version number you're looking for. *hinthint*

Is it random or merely a newer version? It'd be more weird if the version numbers on new updates indicated it's an older revision.

Yeah by random I mean multiple versions coming out around the same time with no visibility into the differences between them. Is the underlying network being updated often or are these versions merely a way to track game specific builds of the DLL.

I wish, Nvidia would offer them as a separate download, so users don't have to share them with another, since here's always the chance of malicious intent.
It would not even have to be an official download, but just a constant URL for which you'd only have to know the version number you're looking for. *hinthint*
Nobody has to share anything with anyone, DLSS provided with games in question works fine.
And if we're talking about who should do what - developers should update their games.

Nobody has to share anything with anyone,
Didn't say that, didn't demand that. I said I wish, because that would be a nice thing to do.
DLSS provided with games in question works fine.
Didn't argue that, but fine always leaves room for even better, because...
And if we're talking about who should do what - developers should update their games.
... you say so yourself.

And to spell it out perfectly clear for you:
- Developers updating their games would require them to do QA
- Nvidia officially having DLSS in their driver would require them to do QA
- Nvidia inofficially leaving the mentioned backdoor would put next to no additional burden on anyone and players could try and use the latest DLSS-dll if they want to. Win-win-win.

Back