Windows 11 [2021]

Locked to the bottom, sadly. I'm seriously considering going to therapy if it stays that way (like they say it would)

Also wtf right side? It belongs to the left side of the screen

LOL

are you left handed? im right handed and right side is the best. The buttons/icons are super easy to reach.

btw googling their statement you mentioned, found this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

UGH!!!!!!!! What the heck mirosoft..

I dont understand the negative views on MS latest Windows 11 either.... I think W10 in its current form is the best windows version yet, and W11 will only improve on everything, with Direct Storage a very eftersought one.
haven't seen any hate towards Windows 11. If so, well, I don't understand it. Internally is Windows 10 on steroids, with a much more beautiful interface and a lot better Settings app, imho, but it's not a radical change that might need adaptation.

anyone know how to move the taskbar to right side of screen?

bottom bar is REALLY annoying to be used on a touchscreen laptop
Some time ago I showed you a video on how to center the taskbar without using external software on Windows 10. That's what I did and worked like a charm for me. There is a workaround for that I am sure, on Windows 11, using the built-in possibilities.

Gigabyte is working on their mobos to be Windows 11 ready.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-boards-win11-ready

With the promise of relaxed restrictions and an improved Windows store, a lot of new apps are coming to Windows 11 store.

adobe-reader-store-windows11-screenshot.jpg

Other apps include OBS Studio, Zoom, Canva, Filmora, Kdenlive, Winzip, Microsoft Edge extensions and a few more.

EuUHaIC.png

rX1L6i8.png

Winzip in particular now is useful for me 'cos I performed a fresh install -using the Reset option, which lets you wipe the storage drive(s) but you dont lose your product key, very useful!- and didnt have 7zip installed.

Given the fact that I prefer not to install Win32 apps if I have the option, it is nice to have the original Winzip.

What makes a motherboard "windows 11 ready" moreso than anything released in the last few years? Other than a marketing checkbox?

With the promise of relaxed restrictions and an improved Windows store, a lot of new apps are coming to Windows 11 store.
Considering how simple it is to add you app to Windows Store, I wonder if eventually it becomes the main place to get applications - akin Google Store on Android. Also I wish somebody put WIN.exe there :D

Locked to the bottom, sadly. I'm seriously considering going to therapy if it stays that way (like they say it would)

Not true, there is no way they will not allow any side you want. Personally I have used left side (the correct side) for more than 20 years. Not sure if I did when I was on a Mac, with that joke POS os i expect prolly you couldn't.

Not true, there is no way they will not allow any side you want. Personally I have used left side (the correct side) for more than 20 years. Not sure if I did when I was on a Mac, with that joke POS os i expect prolly you couldn't.
And yet it is on the list of changed / deprecated features: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications#primaryR4

Taskbar functionality is changed including:
  • People is no longer present on the Taskbar.
  • Some icons may no longer appear in the System Tray (systray) for upgraded devices including previous customisations.
  • Alignment to the bottom of the screen is the only location allowed.
  • Apps can no longer customise areas of the Taskbar.
Edit: even Macs allow you to change the dock thingy, but I think their bar at top is locked

And yet it is on the list of changed / deprecated features:
I consider myself chastised, this j́ust seems to dumb to be true, but then again they did come out with metro design that most people knew was a terrible idea just from looking at it once, though To give props to MS they realized their mistake quickly and soon dropped metro

They're locking the taskbar to the bottom because it's clearly a UI built for single display touch screen with swipe gestures from the sides. Same reason they center justify it -- to separate the task buttons from the side gestures. They should really just design an alternative shell for touch input and leave the classic m/k workstation UI alone.

They're locking the taskbar to the bottom because it's clearly a UI built for single display touch screen with swipe gestures from the sides. Same reason they center justify it -- to separate the task buttons from the side gestures. They should really just design an alternative shell for touch input and leave the classic m/k workstation UI alone.
You can still move the icons to the left, though

I don't see the difference between an ultrawide and an multi-monitor extended desktop, and extended desktop has existed for as long as I can remember. Having the start button justified to the corner means you can easily navigate to the same spot on the screen and makes it impossible to overshoot. Having it center justified means you not only have to navigate to it precisely, but the position of it moves depending on how many items are in the taskbar at the time. It's a dumb UI for mice.

I don't see the difference between an ultrawide and an multi-monitor extended desktop, and extended desktop has existed for as long as I can remember. Having the start button justified to the corner means you can easily navigate to the same spot on the screen and makes it impossible to overshoot. Having it center justified means you not only have to navigate to it precisely, but the position of it moves depending on how many items are in the taskbar at the time. It's a dumb UI for mice.
No, multi-monitors are different from the ultra-wide desktops because multi-monitor duplicate the windows button (last I used them though). On ultra-wide screens, the start button is too right while your eyes are usually in the middle of the screen.

Start button and taskbar behavior on secondary displays are configurable, not sure if the default setting is off/on. I don't think I've ever used the start menu on my 2nd and 3rd monitor. The nice thing about the having buttons in the corner is you don't have to look, point, and click, you just move your cursor to the min/max X and Y axes and you know you're on the button.

edit: I'm trying to think of another example of a UI where the location of the most significant permanent UI element (in this case the Win11 start button) is not in a fixed position. I suppose the equivalent OSX taskbar works that way? (not really a Mac guy)

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever used the start menu on my 2nd and 3rd monitor.
And that's the thing. When you have the widescreen monitor you have to use the start menu on the same screen. And it becomes too far away if you from the left to right. You can feel something similar with high resolutions, but not to the same extent.

edit: I'm trying to think of another example of a UI where the location of the most significant permanent UI element (in this case the Win11 start button) is not in a fixed position. I suppose the equivalent OSX taskbar works that way? (not really a Mac guy)
Anecdotally on Mac I don't icons or any menu to launch programs - I use [cmd + space] to invoke Spotlight (search basically) and I input the application name to run it. Very fast.

Anecdotally on Mac I don't icons or any menu to launch programs - I use [cmd + space] to invoke Spotlight (search basically) and I input the application name to run it. Very fast.
You can do that on Windows too, in most cases just few letters of the name is enough unless you got tons of applications with same letters at the start. Just press win-key and write

You can do that on Windows too, in most cases just few letters of the name is enough unless you got tons of applications with same letters at the start. Just press win-key and write
Well, my Windows 10 laptop still has only HDD so it is not really fast:D

Back