Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Can't wait for The Coalition's demo. They're obviously one of, if not the best, UE4 users from tech/production values perspective. Some of the demos from random YouTuber's have been great, so The Coalirion poking around around UE5 should be visual impressive.

I'm assuming they've had a preview to play around with for longer than most.

Be interesting if under virtual texturing it covered initial SFS integration.
VRS 2, although unsure if that would make any sense to be included in this talk.

Yeah I'm ready to see something besides rocks.
I'm sure the demo will contain its own unique content and have some wow factor, with some hopefully interesting points to discuss on what they are possibly doing different on the Xbox.

The difference is they are presenting what they feel is representative of actual in game use.
My point was it's just a screenshot, it's nothing that should really be commented on, especially given its close resemblance to existing UE5 demos. Certainly not worthy of high praise? Wait till the actual demo or at least a good quality video.

I think it looks great and the intentions are really intresting on this one. For one, they are aiming to show whats actually representing of what we can expect in actual games on the XSX.

More on-topic, wonder if their utilizing the more powerfull GPU, bandwith and faster CPU, aswell as features like VRS (and possible other extra RDNA2 stuff the xbox has)? If this is optimized for the XSX, that could be really intresting.

Tons of comments on that tweet, all think its amazing.

Last edited:
I'm sure the demo will contain its own unique content and have some wow factor, with some hopefully interesting points to discuss on what they are possibly doing different on the Xbox.

I was thinking about that, and tbh i am prepared to not be wowed. The demo will be presented to the devs, specific audience and probably will show theirs finings on what works what not. This isnt targeted to average Joes to amaze and show pretty graphics. My point is it definitely will be very interesting and "amazing" to dev people not necessarily to gamers. But i can be wrong ofc.

I'm expecting a realistic take on UE5. It'll be a leap forward, but not "OMG, that's impossible!"

I'm realizing that I still need to play through Gears 2+ before Gears 6 arrives. So many games and so little time...

Animation is probably not for this console generation from what Brian Karis told.

I guess 'conservative bounds' is another term for what i called 'extend bounding boxes so they bound all animation' to avoid a need for BVH refit?
I wonder what's their problem with it? Ofc. it's not trivial to generate all possible animation, but if we setup joint limits like we would do for ragdolls, offline monte carlo integration should just work.

However, does it make any sense to have higher detail for static scenery than for characters? IMO that's a no, but i expected less detail than shown in demos anyway.
And even if they could animate at this detail on characters, it would miss features from bone and skin simulation, and current hacks like prebaked skin wrinkels and fold normals might not do anymore.

Back