Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Finding where the hell the kids have hidden the remote and switching AV channels is creating more friction getting into playing at the moment.

HDMI-CEC can eliminate some of that friction too, I turn on the SeriesX and it switches inputs for me.

HDMI-CEC can eliminate some of that friction too, I turn on the SeriesX and it switches inputs for me.

My TV used to recognise the Xbox, turn on, select hdmi and switch to game mode. A TV update removed that, so it just turns the TV on. My son clocked that he could turn the TV on with the Xbox button, so I'd come into an empty room with both the TV and Xbox going. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sure, but find me a place that charges you less for taking time to pay.

Sure, but find me a place that charges you less for taking time to pay.
But you’re paying top price for GP right? And tying yourself into an agreement for however long it is.

I remember doing the math in Game originally thinking it’s a great deal but one use of my calculator realised the reality it was just ok if you’re happy to pay full price for GP for X years.

Don’t get me wrong, for those who don’t want to pay £450 day one it’s a fairly good deal…but there are a lot of interest free options out there and then freedom to do as you please WRT GP etc.

I remember doing the math in Game originally thinking it’s a great deal but one use of my calculator realised the reality it was just ok if you’re happy to pay full price for GP for X years.

The AllAccess price structure for the SeriesS is better deal than the SeriesX. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of discount on SeriesX AllAccess price, but its understandable. It just doesn't fit in with the pattern of prices they had on the OneS and OneX AllAccess programs they had before it.

You have to add also the sales tax (one thing I don’t like about shopping in the USA) sure a lot of countries have sales tax but usually the advertised price includes that, in the USA it’s
Great $100 for this eg T-shirt,
take it to checkout,
that will be $109.45 (including sales tax and local tax) and maybe a 20% tip as well for a little cherry on top

You have to add also the sales tax (one thing I don’t like about shopping in the USA) sure a lot of countries have sales tax but usually the advertised price includes that, in the USA it’s
Great $100 for this eg T-shirt,
take it to checkout,
that will be $109.45 (including sales tax and local tax) and maybe a 20% tip as well for a little cherry on top

That's not really a thing for purchases of material goods. Tips are usually expected for services rendered. I get your point about obscuring true costs, though.

But you’re paying top price for GP right? And tying yourself into an agreement for however long it is.

Don’t get me wrong, for those who don’t want to pay £450 day one it’s a fairly good deal…but there are a lot of interest free options out there and then freedom to do as you please WRT GP etc.

Opportunity and ease of management were the drivers here. I'm already all-in on GPU on three platforms (Xbox, PC, streaming), so that was never in question. Not having to think about it for two years and getting a discount represents enough value for me.

I finally was in the right place at the right time and managed to snag an XSX via All-Access from GameStop. Excited for the graphics upgrade, sure, but I'm here for those sweet sweet load times. :D

Side note: I actually couldn't initially add the bundled Game Pass sub to my account as I was already subbed out too far from the 3 years of XBLG I bought and converted at 1:1. Fortunately I only ended up having to wait a couple of days. I'm now subbed to GPU through 2024. :D

I don't think OuterWorlds 2 will be 3+ years from now., but then again maybe they spend an extra couple of years on making it larger than the first.
Trailer makes it sound like its really early. They might reuse assets to get it out in time but I dunno. Maybe it will be the 2023 release and avowed the 2024 ?
Who knows maybe we will get two rpgs from MS a year

Someone got Duckstation running on the Xbox Series S via developer mode. Is it any better than RetroArch? If RPCS3 ever gets ported to Xbox, then the Series X|S will be able to run more Playstation backward compatible games than the PS5. :)

Tommy McClain

Exactly this. Less friction getting in and out of a game is a huge deal for me with the much smaller windows of play time I have.

Indeed! The ability to just plug and play is really wonderful. Hdmi cec is still far from perfect but it really helps. Especially for people that used to use kinect as a universal remote, I think.

Btw,
Less friction in the game is also becoming a bigger deal. At least for me, as I get older.

For example a game that requires grinding, boring fetch Quests, etc. On pc I can simply cheat engine my way. But I only can do that in a very limited scope on Xbox (via XPA cloud save sync) and PS4 (via save wizard) and they're cumbersome as heck.

On Switch, cheats are super easy to use because people make a sidebar overlay for cheats.

Whoa now I'm way out of topic

As someone who covers over leds etc this is cool.
Ability to change brightness of the nexus buttons on controllers and console, including scheduling.
Also night mode for tv including blue intensity slider.
Ah so it's called the nexus button! I usually call it the Xbox button or the watermelon button.

Back