Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
The drawback being that you then have a lot less RAM available, as you have both levels sitting there waiting to be switched. So Insomniac being able to offload almost the entire level and load another one in in less than a second - or at least the visible/closest part of it - is not only mighty impressive but also allows for more detail to be on screen.
In both TF|2 and Dishonored 2, your actions in the “past” will affect the environment in the “present”, and you need to solve puzzle using this. So some of the states of both worlds need to be kept in memory all the time. I guess it’s ok to unload everything in R&C where shifting dimensions is in place only for the sake of it.

51261694998_52e64a4ff9_b.jpg

In both TF|2 and Dishonored 2, your actions in the “past” will affect the environment in the “present”, and you need to solve puzzle using this. So some of the states of both worlds need to be kept in memory all the time. I guess it’s ok to unload everything in R&C where shifting dimensions is in place only for the sake of it.
Well, actually no. There as some very basic puzzles with elements in both dimensions where you use the world switch to progress.

This a visually stunning game. So far it's pretty standard R&C fare. I think how I envisioned the portals working differently than what the game actually uses them for. I thought instantaneous worlds on a whim, not transporting just fifty feet away. Anywho, solid game as usual from Insomniac.

The visuals in this are on another level. It's the best use of RT I've seen in any game so far, though both Control and Cyberpunk were pretty refined they just weren't as cohesive as R&C. The game itself is the usual experience but I sometimes find it gets overshadowed by the onscreen candy. It's amazing that a dev has manged to pull this kind of tech exerience off so early in the lifetime of the console.

Keeping the pocket dimensions within the same virtual space as the main level seems mostly like something done for ease of debugging and data management. It's not really a trick. Its more of a choice of implementation.

This a visually stunning game. So far it's pretty standard R&C fare. I think how I envisioned the portals working differently than what the game actually uses them for. I thought instantaneous worlds on a whim, not transporting just fifty feet away. Anywho, solid game as usual from Insomniac.

Again the yellow portal aren't teleportation, this is the purple one.

Last edited:
Obviously not. Even having a 10TB storage solution with tb/s of bw, all that still needs to be processed, somewhere, somehow.
To render graphics in general yes. To stream out and in data very fast you need huge amount of bandwidth, like PS5's solution

When 30fps is done right with good motion blur it feels weird for a minute if i play right after a 60fps game but then it's all good.
So i really don't mind 30fps.
Back in the Amstrad/atari days i played so many 3d games at something like 10fps and still had fun :runaway:

Edit: ah good old days

I mistakenly liked your post as I didn't notice it was the ST version in video. :p

Keeping the pocket dimensions within the same virtual space as the main level seems mostly like something done for ease of debugging and data management. It's not really a trick. Its more of a choice of implementation.
I think it has to do with the way they show what's through the portal. Everything they show you is going to have to be in ram anyway, and having those assets ready in the same data set makes a lot more sense than having to manage 2 sets of level data every time you have one of those portals. I would agree that it probably helped with debugging, and it makes a lot more sense when you are designing the levels and gameplay to do it this way. Anyone trying to use this as proof of deception is grasping I think.

Is basically what I was going to say. It doesn’t really matter that the pocket dimension is on the same level but some KM s away - as the game doesn’t load a whole level anyway but streams in stuff constantly even while playing. So the same probably happens when you approach the portal. They can just stream in things as they become visible. The amount of pocket dimension you can see changes from very small at a distance to the whole thing exponentially as you approach the portal and can only really see much once you’re standing really close to it and are looking into it.

I had a really weird bug the other day, went through a rift and only about 5% of the level loaded. Had to die for it to fully load :D

Finished in 15h (without finding all collectables), great graphics, good narration, enjoybale gameplay. Few bugs during game that need restart checkpoint, didn't like virus sections. Logic puzzles were ok but little too much. In the end best platformer/shooting kid style game I've ever played, 9/10.

Back