Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work, but that's from an old trailer, not current state of game.
I will count that area from retail when i get home, still have all my raw capture
Seems to be the same res split essentially ->
depot_ps5_resa4j7q.png

depot_xsx_res09k9c.png

Xbox res advantage is common to the whole game, hence why I said so in the video. I showed it off in the video for example on the train entering the Caspian Level or the train entering the Volga Level:
ps5_res_2nskjh.png

xsx_res2fyj4r.png

Everyone count to their heart's content

Last edited:
Both are so negligibly better than the other that I don't imagine anyone except the people running these benches will notice. IE - I imagine anyone that plays it will have an equivalent experience.

Regards,
SB

I would be surprised if not, the thing is and maybe i am in minority but i have hard time to see the difference between "4k" and 1080p on my TV in xsx games. I tried Shadow of the tomb raider "4k" mode and 1080p and the only difference i noticed is 30 vs 60fps. Thats it, maybe something was sharper i couldn't tell. I don't know if my TV does some magic upscaling or something but 1080p looks super sharp.
And now we are talking about what 20% difference in res that varies across the game, if i have hard time to see diff between "4k" and 1080p to me its not almost the same its THE same experience. Same goes for frame rate, unless is constant drops to low 50s less than 1% perf difference is impossible to tell.

I would be surprised if not, the thing is and maybe i am in minority but i have hard time to see the difference between "4k" and 1080p on my TV in xsx games. I tried Shadow of the tomb raider "4k" mode and 1080p and the only difference i noticed is 30 vs 60fps. Thats it, maybe something was sharper i couldn't tell. I don't know if my TV does some magic upscaling or something but 1080p looks super sharp.
And now we are talking about what 20% difference in res that varies across the game, if i have hard time to see diff between "4k" and 1080p to me its not almost the same its THE same experience. Same goes for frame rate, unless is constant drops to low 50s less than 1% perf difference is impossible to tell.

I think 1080p versus 4k is very visible. But the difference in multiplatform games between PS5 and XSX are very low. This is not One X versus PS4 Pro. I don't think at least for now difference in multiplatform games is very important.

If someone want to choose between two ecosystems, this is a choice between exclusive games the gamer want and I can add an advantage on Xbox side, the Gamepass.

From pc viewing distance, 4k vs 1080p is super visible.

On TV viewing distance, not really visible. Especially when in movements / action encounters of blurry games (e.g. Control)

I don’t know, 4K just looks super sharp…it almost has a 3D quality - the question is if it matters in the scheme of things, because it’s not like those early XB vs PS4 CoD examples where picture data was missing, it’s just less eye cutting sharp (to those who can notice) so less important this gen IMHO.

It could be some people might be on the verge of needing glasses, I remember when I first got some, I had no idea I needed them but the difference it made was quite staggering.

From pc viewing distance, 4k vs 1080p is super visible.

On TV viewing distance, not really visible. Especially when in movements / action encounters of blurry games (e.g. Control)
Not 100% accurate. It depends on size and distance, really, as well as the type of content you're watching, and even type of game.

I definitely can see a huge difference between 1080p and 4K on my 65", but I can't really see much of a difference between 1440/1600/1800p and 4K most times.

Not 100% accurate. It depends on size and distance, really, as well as the type of content you're watching, and even type of game.

I definitely can see a huge difference between 1080p and 4K on my 65", but I can't really see much of a difference between 1440/1600/1800p and 4K most times.

+1

Good upscale method and 1440p res and higher looks very good against 4k. But here this is not 1440p against 4k it is 1512p against 1296p for example and a few frames difference. I don't think the difference is huge enough between the two consoles to be very visible like with One X against PS4 Pro or PS4 against Xbox One.

Last edited:
Seems to be the same res split essentially ->

Xbox res advantage is common to the whole game, hence why I said so in the video. I showed it off in the video for example on the train entering the Caspian Level or the train entering the Volga Level:

Everyone count to their heart's content
Thanks for this, using the second pic I found XSX pushes around 15% more pixels. But side by side it's rather hard to see a difference (normal for 15%). Some textures (like the finger) even look a bit sharper on PS5 (maybe because of gamma difference or different VRS implementation, who knows).

+1

Good upscale method and 1440p res and higher looks very good against 4k. But here this is not 1440p against 4k it is 1512p against 1296p for example and a few frames difference. I don't think the difference is huge enough between the two consoles to be very visible like with One X against PS4 Pro or PS4 against Xbox One.

Yep, generally TAA (and other more advanced tech) looks really good to upscale 1440p to 4K.

This makes me really curious with FSR....

I sit far enough from my set that I haven't bothered to upgrade my 77" set from 1080p to 4K, but I likely will eventually. I also believe that devs are going to end up at 1440p on XSX and PS5 more often than not as the gen progresses as IQ is more important than resolution. I think we're headed to a Nanite + Lumen + RT flourishes world @ 1440p if we're lucky this generation. That's the best we can hope for unless a mid-gen console emerges. ML might change that, of course, in which case I'll buy an LG CX or somethng. :)

I sit far enough from my set that I haven't bothered to upgrade my 77" set from 1080p to 4K, but I likely will eventually. I also believe that devs are going to end up at 1440p on XSX and PS5 more often than not as the gen progresses as IQ is more important than resolution. I think we're headed to a Nanite + Lumen + RT flourishes world @ 1440p if we're lucky this generation. That's the best we can hope for unless a mid-gen console emerges. ML might change that, of course, in which case I'll buy an LG CX or somethng. :)
new Samsung QN95A apparently has quite nice motion plus mode to interpolate more fps withouth increasing much input lag, would like to see how it works in some 30fps game

new Samsung QN95A apparently has quite nice motion plus mode to interpolate more fps withouth increasing much input lag, would like to see how it works in some 30fps game
Even the crappy interpolation mode of LG c7 was quite nice for some slow 60fps games interpolated to 120hz for extra clarity. (30fps games feel way too laggy and have too much errors to be pleasant to look and play.)
Modern Samsung should do nicely.

I really would love to see some games to actually implement interpolation within renderer, quality should be better without major cost or lag.

Reactions: snc

Fairly significant visual difference.
Did the developer decide to make artistic changes to the game after it released on Series consoles?

Did the developer decide to make artistic changes to the game after it released on Series consoles?
Yea the original final product being released during the covid times; they've likely put more time into addressing these issues with PS5 version. Great game, worth a run. Reminds me of Call of the Sea as well, in which they actually decided to go back to patch Series consoles after releasing the PS5 version. (though not sure if it's out yet).

Also made during the time in which XSX kit was in it's most infancy. So, I don't expect them to go back and patch things though.

I'll have to watch this again, but I didn't see any huge differences. DOF look different, contrast is obviously different (darker on PS5), and it looks like draw distance was better on PS5, although in still shots it hard to tell if they added extra stuff or it's just past the LOD cut off on Xbox.

0:13 stood out to me.
The picture frame and the hand. The wood and skin textures seem either much simpler or heavily obscured by the hazy appearance on Xbox.

Also 1:37.
I haven't played this game, so I don't know how dynamic the lighting situation is. But that appears to be completely changed.

I see mostly the brightness level being set way too high on the SeriesX.

This is the biggest difference to me, not sure which is more accurate though.

Screenshot_20210623-174955_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20210623-175010_YouTube.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back